Problem! webservice.htc calling nonsecure webservice from a secured ssl https webpage

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by batista, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. batista

    batista Guest

    Hi,

    I'm using webservice.htc to call a non-secure(without https) webservice
    method from a webpage.
    Now, if the webpage is not under https then everything works fine.

    But, when enable ssl in that page the webservice method does'nt work.

    So how shud i solve this.

    Is not allowed to call a non-secure webservice method in secure
    webpage.
    If not,then how do i call a secure webservice method using
    webservice.htc.

    Plz help me on this...

    Bye

    batista, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Re: Problem! webservice.htc calling nonsecure webservice from a securedssl https webpage

    Hi,

    batista wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using webservice.htc to call a non-secure(without https) webservice
    > method from a webpage.
    > Now, if the webpage is not under https then everything works fine.
    >
    > But, when enable ssl in that page the webservice method does'nt work.
    >
    > So how shud i solve this.
    >
    > Is not allowed to call a non-secure webservice method in secure
    > webpage.
    > If not,then how do i call a secure webservice method using
    > webservice.htc.
    >
    > Plz help me on this...
    >
    > Bye

    That's quite off-topic for an ASP.NET newsgroup. Note however that the
    webservice.htc component distributed by Microsoft has a severe memory
    leak, and as a matter of fact is not supported anymore by Microsoft. You
    really should avoid using it.

    What we did in my project is rewrite the Web service abstraction in
    JavaScript, using the XmlHttpRequest object. This also allowed us to be
    much more flexible with parameters, and for instance to use the same
    protocol (http or https) as the web page.

    Note however that rewriting the layer was a big work, especially because
    you then have to generate and parse the SOAP code yourself. Probably for
    small projects you're be better off losgin the SOAP code altogether, and
    using direct calls to XmlHttpRequest instead.

    For more questions, rather ask a JavaScript newsgroup, for example
    comp.lang.javascript.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --