PROBLEM when editing DAT file!

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Sree, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Sree

    Sree Guest

    hello friends,

    I was trying to edit DAT file. it's a video song and i wanted to cut
    and play only
    a part of the song, programatically.

    When i was splitting the song starting from byte 0 to some byte 'n'
    (n>>0), wmplayer
    is able to play succesfully.

    But when i am splitiing the file stating from some byte 'n'( where
    n>0),
    wmp is not able to play the file ( i saved it with .dat extn.)

    I also tried to achieve this with the actual .dat format by prefixing
    the
    44 bytes ( RIFF + length + channels +...etc.) to the edited file.
    But again the same problem.

    What should i fo?
    PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS ISSUE!

    Sree, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Sree

    Vladimir Oka Guest

    Sree wrote:
    > hello friends,
    >
    > I was trying to edit DAT file. it's a video song and i wanted to cut
    > and play only
    > a part of the song, programatically.
    >
    > When i was splitting the song starting from byte 0 to some byte 'n'
    > (n>>0), wmplayer
    > is able to play succesfully.
    >
    > But when i am splitiing the file stating from some byte 'n'( where
    > n>0),
    > wmp is not able to play the file ( i saved it with .dat extn.)
    >
    > I also tried to achieve this with the actual .dat format by prefixing
    > the
    > 44 bytes ( RIFF + length + channels +...etc.) to the edited file.
    > But again the same problem.
    >
    > What should i fo?
    > PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS ISSUE!

    And how, exactly, is this topical in comp.lang.c???
    You don't even mention the language you're using!

    Try one of the Windows programming groups...

    Cheers

    Vladimir

    Vladimir Oka, Jan 23, 2006

  3. "Sree" <> writes:
    > I was trying to edit DAT file. it's a video song and i wanted to
    > cut and play only a part of the song, programatically.
    >
    > When i was splitting the song starting from byte 0 to some byte 'n'
    > (n>>0), wmplayer is able to play succesfully.
    >
    > But when i am splitiing the file stating from some byte 'n'( where
    > n>0), wmp is not able to play the file ( i saved it with .dat extn.)
    >
    > I also tried to achieve this with the actual .dat format by
    > prefixing the 44 bytes ( RIFF + length + channels +...etc.) to the
    > edited file. But again the same problem.

    This really isn't a C question.

    Find out what format the file is in and look up the details of that
    format (wotsit.org might be a good source of information). Given that
    information, you *might* be able to figure out how to generate a valid
    file containing some subset of the original file's data.

    Once you've figured that out, feel free to re-post here if you're
    having problems implementing it in C. (Don't expect us to know the
    file format.)

    Keith Thompson, Jan 23, 2006