Problem when searching for PDFs with Indexing Service in ASP-solution.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Martin Emanuelsson, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I have a problem with a small asp-solution that searches for PDF-documents
    with
    indexing service.

    For some files in the search result I get gibberish returned, such as
    I$OYDURSURGXFWVSURGXFHGLQ0H[LFR/DERUDWRU\5HSRUW/DERUDWRU\2UGHUHU5HVSRQVLEOH6
    WDWXV)HPLQLQH*27-RKDQVVRQ6XVDQQH)LQDO'DWH)LQDO3URMHFW3URMHFW1DPH&RVWSODFH9HU
    1R$9$523'36XPPDU\7KHUHVXOWV5XQ2II7KHSURGXFWVWKDWZHUHSURGXFHGZHUHEDG7KHVXUIDF
    HPDWHULDOZDVK\GURSKRELFDQGDOOWKHSURGXFWVKDGUXQRII6HHSLFWXUH7KHSURGXFWVWKDWSU
    RGXFHGZHUHJRRG,WZDVWKHVDPHSURGXFWVWKDWSURGXFHGEXWZLWKVSXQERQG%XURSHVXUIDFHPD
    WHULDO7KHSURGXFWVKDGIDVWLQOHWJRRGVSUHDGLQJLQWKHFRUHDQGQRUXQRII'RVLPDW7KHSURG
    XFWSURGXFHGZDVEDG6HYHUDORIWKHSURGX

    while other files returns "good text" like this:
    Feminine 865106-Date Final Projectname Orderer 2004-06-02 ALVARO PDP
    Johansson Susanne Distributed to: Internal test Alvaro v. 20-21 Summary
    Mission Background Comments Conclusion Test methods Test objects Sample No:
    20040527-001-01 Alvaro Labrep 2_2.rep SEBJOIS 2004-03-17 Printed by:
    labreporter 2004-06-02 15:51:51Laboratory Report No:20040527-001 Rev: 1
    Status:Final Brand /Name SABA Ultr

    The only difference between these files are that they seem to be saved with
    different PDF versions or something like that (looking in File --> Document
    Properties of the files).

    The "bad" file has the following information there:
    Creator: Windows NT 4.0
    Producer: Acrobat Distiller Daemon 3.01 for HP-UX A.09.01 and later (HPPA)
    PDF version: 1.1 (Acrobat 2.x)

    The "good" file has the following information:
    Creator: AdobePS5.dll Version 5.1.2
    Producer: Acrobat Distiller 4.0 for Windows
    PDF version: 1.3 (Acrobat 4.x)

    A small part of the code looks like this:
    set objConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    set objIndex = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    objConnection.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSIDXS;"
    objConnection.Open
    strSQL = "SELECT Characterization, Filename, Path FROM
    se_got_data.limspdf..SCOPE() WHERE "

    objIndex.Open strSQL, objConnection

    do until objIndex.EOF
    Response.write objIndex("Characterization")
    objIndex.MoveNext
    loop
    objConnection.Close
    Set objConnection = nothing

    The problem seems to be this Characterization-part of the earlier version of
    PDFs. Has anyone experienced anything like this before??

    Best regards
    Martin Emanuelsson
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Martin Emanuelsson, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Martin Emanuelsson

    me Guest

    You need to install the Plugin. Acquire it from Adobe.

    me, Oct 15, 2004

  3. could you post these problem docs here?

    Hilary Cotter, Oct 15, 2004
  4. If you mean the plugin Adobe PDF IFilter 5.0 then it is already installed on
    the server so that is not the problem. Not unless there is some sort of
    setting that needs to be done for the plugin?

    /Martin

    Martin Emanuelsson, Oct 15, 2004
  5. I have to check with the business people where I'm working if that is ok or
    if it's all confidential. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

    /Martin

    Martin Emanuelsson, Oct 15, 2004
  6. I tried posting two test files to this newsgroup but got an error message
    saying the message was too big (with two attachements with a size of about
    130 kb in total).

    Could send them directly to you if that's ok Hilary? And to anyone else
    interested for that matter.

    /Martin

    Martin Emanuelsson, Oct 18, 2004
  7. sure.

    Hilary Cotter, Oct 18, 2004
  8. the jibberish is in these docs.

    There isn't a whole lot you can do, other than convert all the docs to the
    "good" format. you might want to talk to Adobe.

    Hilary Cotter, Oct 18, 2004