Problem when sending emails with asp.net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by William, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. William

    William Guest

    Hello all,

    I'm actually having some troubles when sending mails with a basic asp.net
    application, using System.web.mail class.
    My test machine is correctly configured, and the SMTPMAIL.SMTPSERVER is set
    to the DNS Name of our internal Exchange server.
    The problem is in production: if I change the name of the Exchange server by
    the one of our customer, I'm having this error message:

    Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.

    My SMTP server is in the Trust Zone and the web server is in the DMZ, I can
    access the SMTP server via Telnet, and everything is working well, the
    relaying is correctly configured. I've tried to remove the
    SMTPMAIL.SMTPSERVER argument or to change it to localhost, or the IP
    address but all failed.

    Could somebody help me?

    You can send me answers or tips at: magicwil (at) hotmail dot com

    Thanks for the help

    William, Sep 23, 2004

  2. William

    William Guest

    Re: Problem when sending emails with asp.netChristoph,

    I've already visited this website and tried many of its solutions but none
    of them helped me. Indeed, it's a very nice website and I recommand it to
    many people who need information about mail class using ASP.Net.

    I have tried to uninstall dot net framework and reinstall it, even to repair
    possible mappings with IIS but none of these solution helped me. I'm going
    crazy with this stuff...

    William

    "Christoph Schittko [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    William,
    Have you looked at the System.Web.Mail FAQ at http://www.systemwebmail.com?
    It discusses number of scenarios that would cause that error message [0].
    HTH,
    Christoph Schittko
    MVP XML
    http://weblogs.asp.net/cschittko
    [0] http://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/4.2.3.aspx

    William, Sep 24, 2004

  3. William

    Freddy Guest

    I once had this problem. I found out that if you miss out the from email
    address(i.e sending a null value to the from email address variable by
    mistake) this error comes up. I corrected this and it worked fine for me.

    Our SMTPMAIL.SMTPSERVER is mail.xyz.com on development server and localhost
    on production server.

    Freddy

    Freddy, Sep 24, 2004
  4. William

    William Guest

    Thank you for the tips Freddy. I have checked it but all the addresses I use
    are correct. We made more tests in our labo, and the problem seems to come
    when we separate the DMZ server from the TRUST-Zone server thanks to a
    firewall. The mail server is in the Trust zone and the web server in the
    DMZ, and we opened all the ports (in our labo of course, not in production
    ^^) of the firewall but the error persists. It is very strange because if we
    put both server in the same range without any firewall then it works. I have
    a bad feeling about this, does somebody has already heard strange things
    between Netscreen Firewalls and the System.web.mail class?

    William

    William, Sep 27, 2004
  5. William

    William Guest

    OK I finally found an issue.
    I tried to send 2 mails at the same time. Now I totally manage the first
    mail, and send it, then I manage the second mail and I send it too, and it
    works. A little strange, but if it works, that's all that matters :)

    William, Oct 1, 2004