Problem while installing a linux-library

mxmarklein

Hello all,

I am doing my first steps in linux-c++ programming and have an
installation problem.

My problem:
The project I am trying to compile. needs an external library and i
don`t know how to manage the makefile finds the .h file of the library
- this file lies not in the standard directory, because I only admin
rights for those directories. I want to compile my project with
automake.

What I have done is to insert the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the .bashrc, do I
need to set another systemvariable in the .bashrc for the
include-files?
or do I need to manipulate the automake./configure.h- files.

Thanks in advance,
Mx

phlip

mxmarklein said:
What I have done is to insert the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the .bashrc, do I
need to set another systemvariable in the .bashrc for the
include-files?
or do I need to manipulate the automake./configure.h- files.

All the following is off-topic, and you must follow it up on a G++
newsgroup or mailing list. This newsgroup is only qualified to discuss
the C++ language itself, not all its implementations.

The problem with Makefiles is they are usually so complex you can't just
learn from them. You might set environmental variables INCLUDE
and LIB, and you might specify their targets on a command line: g++
-I/my/includes -L/my/libs

And LD_LIBRARY_PATH sets the program executable dynamic link library path.
g++ can't use it.

Ulrich Hobelmann

Hello all,

I am doing my first steps in linux-c++ programming and have an
installation problem.

As such it's not really on-topic here...
My problem:
The project I am trying to compile. needs an external library and i
don`t know how to manage the makefile finds the .h file of the library
- this file lies not in the standard directory, because I only admin
rights for those directories. I want to compile my project with
automake.

I don't know about automake, but the C compiler (or C++) usually takes
an argument -I/path/to/your/headers to look for header files. Read the
fine manual for more information.
What I have done is to insert the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the .bashrc, do I
need to set another systemvariable in the .bashrc for the
include-files?

The lib-path is only for the system to find libraries (.so) when you
start an executable program. AFAIK it's not important for compilation.
There you want the -L and -l flags of your compiler (if it's gcc at
least).