Problem while installing a linux-library

Discussion in 'C++' started by mxmarklein@gmail.com, May 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello all,

    I am doing my first steps in linux-c++ programming and have an
    installation problem.

    My problem:
    The project I am trying to compile. needs an external library and i
    don`t know how to manage the makefile finds the .h file of the library
    - this file lies not in the standard directory, because I only admin
    rights for those directories. I want to compile my project with
    automake.

    What I have done is to insert the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the .bashrc, do I
    need to set another systemvariable in the .bashrc for the
    include-files?
    or do I need to manipulate the automake./configure.h- files.

    Thanks in advance,
    Mx
    , May 30, 2006

  2. phlip Guest

    mxmarklein wrote:

    > What I have done is to insert the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the .bashrc, do I
    > need to set another systemvariable in the .bashrc for the
    > include-files?
    > or do I need to manipulate the automake./configure.h- files.

    All the following is off-topic, and you must follow it up on a G++
    newsgroup or mailing list. This newsgroup is only qualified to discuss
    the C++ language itself, not all its implementations.

    The problem with Makefiles is they are usually so complex you can't just
    learn from them. You might set environmental variables INCLUDE
    and LIB, and you might specify their targets on a command line: g++
    -I/my/includes -L/my/libs

    And LD_LIBRARY_PATH sets the program executable dynamic link library path.
    g++ can't use it.

    --
    Phlip
    phlip, May 30, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am doing my first steps in linux-c++ programming and have an
    > installation problem.

    As such it's not really on-topic here...

    > My problem:
    > The project I am trying to compile. needs an external library and i
    > don`t know how to manage the makefile finds the .h file of the library
    > - this file lies not in the standard directory, because I only admin
    > rights for those directories. I want to compile my project with
    > automake.

    I don't know about automake, but the C compiler (or C++) usually takes
    an argument -I/path/to/your/headers to look for header files. Read the
    fine manual for more information.

    > What I have done is to insert the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the .bashrc, do I
    > need to set another systemvariable in the .bashrc for the
    > include-files?

    The lib-path is only for the system to find libraries (.so) when you
    start an executable program. AFAIK it's not important for compilation.
    There you want the -L and -l flags of your compiler (if it's gcc at
    least).

    Ulrich Hobelmann, May 30, 2006
  4. Noah Roberts Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am doing my first steps in linux-c++ programming and have an
    > installation problem.

    Try comp.os.linux.devel
    Noah Roberts, May 30, 2006

    Sorry