Problem while installing RMagick on Mac OS X

Laurent

Hi,
I've got a problem when installing RMagick from the source.

I'm working on Mac OS X (Intel) 10.4.8

I've installed ImageMagick (and dependencies) Release 6.3.0-6

Here are the steps for installing RMagick

mkdir delete_later
cd delete_later
curl -O http://rubyforge.rubyuser.de/rmagick/RMagick-1.14.1.tar.gz
tar xvf RMagick-1.14.1.tar.gz
cd RMagick-1.14.1
../configure

Here message OK:
This installation of RMagick 1.14.1 is configured for
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [universal-darwin8.0] and ImageMagick 6.3.0

Then the command make , gives me during the process:

_rb_to_id
_rb_ull2inum
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [RMagick.bundle] Error 1
setup.rb:655:in `command': system("make") failed (RuntimeError)
from setup.rb:664:in `make'
from setup.rb:1258:in `setup_dir_ext'
from setup.rb:1532:in `__send__'
from setup.rb:1532:in `traverse'
from setup.rb:1530:in `dive_into'
from setup.rb:1530:in `traverse'
from setup.rb:1534:in `traverse'
from setup.rb:1533:in `each'
.... 8 levels...
from setup.rb:826:in `__send__'
from setup.rb:826:in `invoke'
from setup.rb:772:in `invoke'
from setup.rb:1578
make: *** [all] Error 1

I tried before to simply install RMagick via gem RMagick...

But when testing using this Ruby script :
require 'RMagick'

include Magick

def make_thumb(org, thumb)

cat = ImageList.new(org)
thm = cat.thumbnail(80,80)
thm.write thumb

end

make_thumb("my.jpg", "thumb.jpg")

I get the error:

test/unit/rmagick_test.rb:1:in `require': No such file to load --
RMagick (LoadError)
from test/unit/rmagick_test.rb:1

Thanks for your help

Timothy Hunter

Laurent said:
[...]

It looks like you're using the version of Ruby that comes preinstalled
with OS X. This version is nearly 2 years old and was built incorrectly
by Apple. I recommend upgrading to Ruby 1.8.5 and then installing
RMagick. Ruby is an easy install. See
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ for the source tarball. I also
see there's a MacPorts port for ruby 1.8.5, although I haven't tried it
myself.

If you continue to have problems installing RMagick you can always ask
questions on the RMagick help forum on RubyForge:
http://rubyforge.org/forum/?group_id=12.

Laurent

Hi Tim,

Thanks..in fact i dropped the same message on the RubyForge RMagick
forum, below your post for 1.14.1 release ;-)

Ok i will try Ruby 1.8.5 then recompile all the stuff for RMagick and
give you some feedback

Regards

Laurent

Timothy Hunter

Laurent said:
Hi Tim,

Thanks..in fact i dropped the same message on the RubyForge RMagick
forum, below your post for 1.14.1 release ;-)

Ok i will try Ruby 1.8.5 then recompile all the stuff for RMagick and
give you some feedback

Regards

Laurent
Hmm...i see your post now. I get an email copy of everything that's
posted to the help and open-discussion forums but not for the forum you
posted to, so I didn't see it. I'm sorry I missed it. I'll have to see
if there's some way I get emailed for that forum as well.

Let me know how things go.