Problem with a JAVA program launched in a PHP program

sylsau

Hello,

I wrote a JAVA program which uses the JAVA API JDOM 1.0 (of this site
www.jdom.org)
I put the archive jdom.jar in the directory /usr/share/java/jdom.jar
and I added this path in the CLASSPATH variable.
The program runs normally when I launch it in a unix shell.

Now, I want to launch this JAVA program in a PHP program with system()
function for example. I have an Apache server with PHP 4 who runs. The
variable safe_mode of PHP is at off. So, the program PHP can launch
executable program.

But, It doesn't because of CLASSPATH problem I think. So, to understand
where is the problem I recuced my programs and this is the 2 programs :

- program JAVA :

import java.io.*;
import org.jdom.*;
import org.jdom.input.*;

class TestSAX{

TestSAX()

void instanciateSAXBuilder()
{
//On crée une instance de SAXBuilder
try{
SAXBuilder sxb = new SAXBuilder();

System.out.println("Constructeur de SAX");

}catch(Throwable e){

e.printStackTrace();

public class Test {

PrintStream ps = null;

try{

ps = new PrintStream("./test.txt");

}catch(Exception e){

e.printStackTrace();

}

System.setOut(ps);
System.setErr(ps);
System.out.println("test");

try {
System.out.println("Step 1");
TestSAX ts = new TestSAX();
System.out.println("Step 2");
ts.instanciateSAXBuilder();
System.out.println("Step 3");
} catch (Throwable t) {
System.out.println("FAILED");
t.printStackTrace();

- program PHP

<?php

$line = system("/usr/bin/java -cp /usr/share/java/jdom.jar Test",
$retval);
echo"Statut : ".$retval;

?>

On my computer, Apache runs on the user www-data. And i tried to
execute my program JAVA on this user and it runs normally. Besides, the
CLASSPATH of the user www-data contain the path to jdom.jar

This is the error message (contained in the file test.txt) after the
execution of the PHP program :

test
Step 1
FAILED
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdom/input/SAXBuilder
at Test.main(Test.java:51)

So, it seems that the program doesn't find the SAXBuilder class what it
wants to tell that the CLASSPATH is not good when PHP launch the
program JAVA. But, I put the option -cp by launching the JAVA program
in the PHP program so the CLASSPATH put in this option should be good.

To be sure that this option could run, I made the following PHP program
:

$line = system("/usr/bin/javac Test.java", $retval);

After that, it doesn't compile the program. So, I tried that :

$line = system("/usr/bin/javac -cp /usr/share/java/jdom.jar Test.java",
$retval);

And there, the program is normally compiled !
So, it's strange that here the CLASSPATH runs and in the other example
it doesn't run.

Somebody will have and idea about modifications that I can do on the
programs ?

Thanks to help me.

Sylvain

Steve Sobol

sylsau said:
Now, I want to launch this JAVA program in a PHP program with system()
function for example. I have an Apache server with PHP 4 who runs. The
variable safe_mode of PHP is at off. So, the program PHP can launch
executable program.

What is the classpath inside the shell launched by the call to system() ??