problem with ActiveState install

Steve

I've installed the ActiveState binary distribution for Solaris in my
home directory, but I'm having problems with Tk.

I think I did everything right -- I used gtar rather than Solaris tar,
and the install process indicated it was successful. I added the
python directory to ~/.bashrc.

Python works fine from the command line.

But if I try to execute anything that uses Tkinter (including Idle),
the console window goes blank and then nothing else happens. I have to
use control+z to break out.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
-- Steve Ferg

Trent Mick

[Steve wrote]
I've installed the ActiveState binary distribution for Solaris in my
home directory, but I'm having problems with Tk.

I think I did everything right -- I used gtar rather than Solaris tar,
and the install process indicated it was successful. I added the
python directory to ~/.bashrc.

Python works fine from the command line.

But if I try to execute anything that uses Tkinter (including Idle),
the console window goes blank and then nothing else happens. I have to
use control+z to break out.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

What version did you install? I.e. what was the package name. Or do
this:

$ python
What version of Solaris do you have? Run:

uname -a

Do you get an error doing the following minimal Tkinter test:

Cheers,
Trent