    Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

    Thanks in advance,
    -- Steve Ferg

    Steve, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Steve

    Trent Mick Guest

    [Steve wrote]
    > I've installed the ActiveState binary distribution for Solaris in my
    > home directory, but I'm having problems with Tk.
    >
    > I think I did everything right -- I used gtar rather than Solaris tar,
    > and the install process indicated it was successful. I added the
    > python directory to ~/.bashrc.
    >
    > Python works fine from the command line.
    >
    > But if I try to execute anything that uses Tkinter (including Idle),
    > the console window goes blank and then nothing else happens. I have to
    > use control+z to break out.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

    What version did you install? I.e. what was the package name. Or do
    this:

    $ python
    >>> import activestate, pprint
    >>> pprint.pprint(activestate.version_info)

    What version of Solaris do you have? Run:

    uname -a

    Do you get an error doing the following minimal Tkinter test:

    >>> import Tkinter
    >>> Tkinter.Tk()

    Cheers,
    Trent