    Thanks in advance,
    Sergio
    , Feb 11, 2007

  2. On Feb 11, 1:12 pm, "" <>
    wrote:
    > I have some problems with applets

    I am not surprised.

    >..in Opera.

    Even less so.

    >..I just get a gray window
    > and nothing in it. The html page should be correct, as it works in
    > Internet Explorer (the applet is loaded there).

    ...Bwaaa-ha har, har. Hahhh, ha, ..huh?
    You're not joking, are you?

    At one stage, more than half the code of
    IE was there to help guess 'what the web
    designer really meant'. Although IE has
    its (many) problems, it generally hides
    errors in web pages.

    Web developers should never use IE as a
    test of 'does it work'*.

    To find if your HTML is valid, check it
    againts a DTD - like you can do here.
    http://validator.w3.org/

    * Having said that - I do it all the
    time, but this is not about my broken
    pages, it is about yours, and I generally
    validate my pages, in any case.

    >..I have "Java enabled"
    > checked in the Options. Nothing appears in the Opera Java Console.

    Does the applet print anything out?
    Have you heard of web start?
    Does the page use applet size specified
    in %?
    (delete next NN possible questions,
    that can be answered by..)
    You got an URL for this applet?

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 11, 2007

  3. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 02:12:36 -0000,
    <> wrote:

    > I have some problems with applets in Opera. I just get a gray window
    > and nothing in it. The html page should be correct, as it works in
    > Internet Explorer (the applet is loaded there). I have "Java enabled"
    > checked in the Options. Nothing appears in the Opera Java Console.

    Post a link for the applet that loads in Internet Explorer and I will let
    you know whether it loads in Opera for me (this will indicate whether it
    is a problem with the applet or with your Opera setup). In my experience
    Opera is more flexible than IE and Firefox regarding the Object/Applet
    tags that it will accept. Opera does occasionally gets a bit confused
    about the input focus for applets but they tend to at least load.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    https://watchmaker.dev.java.net - Evolutionary Algorithm Framework for Java
    Daniel Dyer, Feb 11, 2007
  4. nukleus Guest

    In article <>, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need it">
    wrote:
    >On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 02:12:36 -0000,
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I have some problems with applets in Opera. I just get a gray window
    >> and nothing in it. The html page should be correct, as it works in
    >> Internet Explorer (the applet is loaded there). I have "Java enabled"
    >> checked in the Options. Nothing appears in the Opera Java Console.
    >>

    >Post a link for the applet that loads in Internet Explorer and I will let
    >you know whether it loads in Opera for me (this will indicate whether it
    >is a problem with the applet or with your Opera setup). In my experience
    >Opera is more flexible than IE and Firefox regarding the Object/Applet
    >tags that it will accept. Opera does occasionally gets a bit confused
    >about the input focus for applets but they tend to at least load.

    Can you tell me if Opera is a flexible and powerful enough
    browser to consider using? Generally, i would like to stay
    away from anything that is produced by MS. Way too many reasons.

    And I have an issue.
    I need to be able to post to usenet from the web browser
    using the standard NNTP protocol and not port 80.

    Do you think it is doable with Opera?

    Basically, the person is reading the usenet articles
    off line, using his web browser, but when he wants to
    reply to some of them, he should be able to create a
    follow up to be posted to usenet. It could be off-line.
    That is not the issue.

    Thankx in advance.

    nukleus, Feb 12, 2007
  5. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:39:17 -0000, nukleus <> wrote:

    > In article <>, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't
    > need it">
    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 02:12:36 -0000,
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have some problems with applets in Opera. I just get a gray window
    >>> and nothing in it. The html page should be correct, as it works in
    >>> Internet Explorer (the applet is loaded there). I have "Java enabled"
    >>> checked in the Options. Nothing appears in the Opera Java Console.
    >>>

    >> Post a link for the applet that loads in Internet Explorer and I will
    >> let
    >> you know whether it loads in Opera for me (this will indicate whether it
    >> is a problem with the applet or with your Opera setup). In my
    >> experience
    >> Opera is more flexible than IE and Firefox regarding the Object/Applet
    >> tags that it will accept. Opera does occasionally gets a bit confused
    >> about the input focus for applets but they tend to at least load.

    > Can you tell me if Opera is a flexible and powerful enough
    > browser to consider using? Generally, i would like to stay
    > away from anything that is produced by MS. Way too many reasons.

    I use Opera pretty much exclusively (on Windows, Mac and Linux) and have
    done for many years now. It is fine for the vast majority of websites and
    those few that don't work are usually due to bad HTML rather than
    deficiencies in Opera. There is only one website I visit semi-regularly
    that doesn't work properly - it's half usable in Opera and no better in
    Safari so I have Firefox installed on my Mac just for that one site. I
    don't have Firefox on my PC and never use IE except on the rare occasions
    that I need to test web development stuff.

    > And I have an issue.
    > I need to be able to post to usenet from the web browser
    > using the standard NNTP protocol and not port 80.

    I'm posting this message with Opera's built-in news reader. The mail and
    news client is perhaps not as powerful as some dedicated applications, but
    it is usable.

    Dan.

    Daniel Dyer, Feb 12, 2007
  6. nukleus Guest

    wrote:
    >On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:39:17 -0000, nukleus <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't
    >> need it">
    >> wrote:

    >>> Post a link for the applet that loads in Internet Explorer and I will
    >>> let
    >>> you know whether it loads in Opera for me (this will indicate whether it
    >>> is a problem with the applet or with your Opera setup). In my
    >>> experience
    >>> Opera is more flexible than IE and Firefox regarding the Object/Applet
    >>> tags that it will accept. Opera does occasionally gets a bit confused
    >>> about the input focus for applets but they tend to at least load.

    >> Can you tell me if Opera is a flexible and powerful enough
    >> browser to consider using? Generally, i would like to stay
    >> away from anything that is produced by MS. Way too many reasons.

    >I use Opera pretty much exclusively (on Windows, Mac and Linux) and have
    >done for many years now. It is fine for the vast majority of websites and
    >those few that don't work are usually due to bad HTML rather than
    >deficiencies in Opera. There is only one website I visit semi-regularly
    >that doesn't work properly - it's half usable in Opera and no better in
    >Safari so I have Firefox installed on my Mac just for that one site. I
    >don't have Firefox on my PC and never use IE except on the rare occasions
    >that I need to test web development stuff.
    >
    >> And I have an issue.
    >> I need to be able to post to usenet from the web browser
    >> using the standard NNTP protocol and not port 80.

    >I'm posting this message with Opera's built-in news reader. The mail and
    >news client is perhaps not as powerful as some dedicated applications, but
    >it is usable.

    Interesting, thanks.
    I'll look at it.

    nukleus, Feb 12, 2007