Problem with asp.net application on Domain controller

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by M. D'Costa, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. M. D'Costa

    M. D'Costa Guest

    Hello,

    I have a machine that was promoted to a domain controller, this machine is
    also a web server and has .NET v1.0 and v1.1 installed.

    After the promotion, none of the ASP.NET applications can be viewed
    properly.
    Permissions to the "Temporary ASP.NET Files" folder was denied. I found an
    article on msdn about creating a "weak account" which will act for the
    ASPNET account, since on a domain controller all accounts run as domain
    accounts not localmachine accounts - and the latter is what ASP.NET
    requires.

    I created the "weak account" and assigned it to the Users group, and granted
    permissions to the Temporary ASP.NET Files folder to it, I also changed the
    username and password attributes of the "process Model" tag in the
    machine.config file.

    But - the applications still don't work. Before the promotion to a domain
    controller, the applications worked fine.

    Any help will be appreciated :)

    Thanks,
    Marise
    M. D'Costa, Feb 3, 2005

  2. What happent to the user "ASPNET" ?

    --
    Daniel Fisher(lennybacon)
    MCP ASP.NET C#

    Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\), Feb 4, 2005

  3. M. D'Costa

    WJ Guest

    WJ, Feb 6, 2005
  4. M. D'Costa

    M. D'Costa Guest

    ASPNET can no longer be used because on a domain controller all accounts run
    as domain accounts and the ASP account needs to be a local account on the
    machine for the aspnet_wp.exe to run.

    "Daniel Fisher(lennybacon)" <info@(removethis)lennybacon.com> wrote in
    message news:...

    M. D'Costa, Feb 7, 2005
  5. M. D'Costa

    M. D'Costa Guest

    Thanks, no the DC is on Win 2000 Server. Have not managed to get it to work
    despite following whatever I could on the web....creating a new ASPNET
    account and assigning permissions to it.

    Have followed everything in this article..
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...s/wss/wss/_exch2k_running_asp_net_on_a_dc.asp

    Any more help?

    Thanks :)

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetHT01.asp