Problem with background color of table cell

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Thanks, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. Thanks

    Thanks Guest

    I have a routine that is called on Page_Init. It retrieves folder records
    from a database which I display as Link Buttons in a table cell. I set the
    table cell's bgcolor to a default color (say black for example). I am
    dynamically creating the LinkButton controls and adding them into the table
    cell and I've also hooked up an event handler for each LinkButton's Click
    event. This all works fine.

    Now in the Link Button's Click event handler, I set the background of the
    LinkButton's parent (which is the table cell I initially color Black) to
    white. This too works fine. My problem occurs when I click another
    LinkButton. The table cell it resides also turns white, but the previous one
    doesn't restore back to black. Can someone help? I've posted the code below.
    I figured that the click would cause a trip to the server, which would call
    page_init which inturn would call DisplayFolders which would set the table
    cell to black.

    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient
    Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls

    Public Class StoredProcedures : Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

    #Region " Variable Declarations "

    Private SelectedFolder As String = ""
    Protected WithEvents Form1 As System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm
    Protected WithEvents TextBox1 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
    Protected WithEvents FolderList As
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTableCell
    Protected WithEvents FolderContents As
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTableCell

    Private ConnectionString As String = "Data Source=localhost;" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Yahoo;" & _
    "User Id=sa;" & _
    "Password=lvteopeh;" & _
    "Connect Timeout=15;" & _
    "Network Library=dbmssocn;"

    #End Region

    <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> _
    Private Sub InitializeComponent()

    End Sub

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
    InitializeComponent()

    End Sub

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    DisplayFolders()
    End Sub

    #End Region

    #Region " Methods / Properties "

    Public Sub DisplayFolders()

    ' Declarations.
    Dim ds As DataSet
    Dim cm As SqlCommand
    Dim cn As SqlConnection
    Dim da As SqlDataAdapter

    Dim intFolderCount As Long

    ' Initialization.
    ds = New DataSet
    da = New SqlDataAdapter
    cn = New SqlConnection(ConnectionString)
    cm = New SqlCommand("GetFolders", cn)

    ' **************************************************
    ' Setup the command object (Type & Parameters)
    ' **************************************************
    With cm
    .CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure
    .Parameters.Add("@UserID", SqlDbType.Int).Direction =
    ParameterDirection.Input
    .Parameters.Add("@FolderCount", SqlDbType.Int).Direction =
    ParameterDirection.Output
    .Parameters.Add("@Return_Value", SqlDbType.Int).Direction =
    ParameterDirection.ReturnValue
    .Parameters("@UserID").Value = 2
    End With

    ' Set the command to execute to the stored procedure command object.
    da.SelectCommand = cm

    ' Fill our dataset and place the results into a temporary table
    namespace, "Results"
    da.Fill(ds, "Results")

    ' **************************************************
    ' Create the table and display the folders.
    ' **************************************************
    CreateFolderTable(ds)

    cn.Close()
    ds.Dispose()
    da.Dispose()
    cn.Dispose()
    cm.Dispose()

    End Sub

    Public Sub DisplayFolderContents(ByVal FolderID As Integer)

    ' Declarations.
    Dim ds As DataSet
    Dim cm As SqlCommand
    Dim cn As SqlConnection
    Dim da As SqlDataAdapter

    Dim intFolderCount As Long

    ' Initialization.
    ds = New DataSet
    da = New SqlDataAdapter
    cn = New SqlConnection(ConnectionString)
    cm = New SqlCommand("GetNotes", cn)

    ' **************************************************
    ' Setup the command object (Type & Parameters)
    ' **************************************************
    With cm
    .CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure
    .Parameters.Add("@intUser", SqlDbType.Int).Direction =
    ParameterDirection.Input
    .Parameters.Add("@intFolder", SqlDbType.Int).Direction =
    ParameterDirection.Input
    .Parameters.Add("@intNotesCount", SqlDbType.Int).Direction =
    .Parameters("@intUser").Value = 1
    .Parameters("@intFolder").Value = 1
    End With

    ' Set the command to execute to the stored procedure command object.
    da.SelectCommand = cm

    ' Fill our dataset and place the results into a temporary table
    namespace, "Results"
    da.Fill(ds, "Results")

    ' **************************************************
    ' Create the table and display the folder's notes.
    ' **************************************************
    CreateFolderContentsTable(ds)

    cn.Close()
    ds.Dispose()
    da.Dispose()
    cn.Dispose()
    cm.Dispose()

    End Sub

    Private Sub CreateFolderTable(ByRef ds As DataSet)

    Dim dr As DataRow
    Dim dt As DataTable
    Dim lnk As LinkButton
    Dim tbl As New HtmlTable
    Dim intFolderCount As Integer

    ' Get the number of folders returned.
    intFolderCount = ds.Tables(0).Rows.Count()

    ' Setup the table object properties.
    With tbl
    .Width = "200"
    .CellSpacing = "1"
    .CellPadding = "1"
    End With

    ' Create an "All" folder for each user.
    CreateFolderRow(tbl, -1, "All")

    ' If there were rows, display the folders.
    If intFolderCount > 0 Then

    ' Get a reference to the results table in the dataset.
    dt = ds.Tables(0)

    ' Loop through each row in the dataset and display it to page.
    For Each dr In dt.Rows

    CreateFolderRow(tbl, CType(dr(0), Integer), CType(dr(1),
    String))

    Next

    ' Now, add this table to the table cell we've designated to hold
    the folders table.
    FolderList.Controls.Add(tbl)

    End If

    dr = Nothing
    dt = Nothing
    tbl = Nothing

    End Sub

    Private Sub CreateFolderContentsTable(ByRef ds As DataSet)

    Dim dr As DataRow
    Dim dt As DataTable
    Dim lnk As LinkButton
    Dim tr1 As HtmlTableRow
    Dim tc1 As HtmlTableCell
    Dim tc2 As HtmlTableCell
    Dim tbl As New HtmlTable
    Dim intFolderCount As Integer

    ' Get the number of folders returned.
    intFolderCount = ds.Tables(0).Rows.Count()

    ' If there were rows, display the folders.
    If intFolderCount > 0 Then

    ' Get a reference to the results table in the dataset.
    dt = ds.Tables(0)

    With tbl
    .Width = "200"
    .CellSpacing = "1"
    .CellPadding = "1"
    End With

    ' Loop through each row in the dataset and display it to page.
    For Each dr In dt.Rows

    tr1 = New HtmlTableRow
    tc1 = New HtmlTableCell
    tc2 = New HtmlTableCell

    ' Created a padded cell to give the folder list a padded
    feel.
    With tc1
    .Width = "20"
    .Align = "right"
    .Controls.Add(New LiteralControl("&nbsp;"))
    End With

    ' Create a new link button.
    lnk = New LinkButton

    ' Add a property to hold the SQL ID of the folder.
    lnk.Attributes.Add("fid", Trim(dr(0)))
    lnk.ForeColor = Color.Black

    ' Add a Click event handler.
    AddHandler lnk.Click, AddressOf FolderItem_Click

    ' Set the text to be the folder's name.
    lnk.Text = Trim(dr(1))

    ' Display the link.
    With tc2
    .Width = "180"
    .Align = "left"
    .Controls.Add(lnk)
    .Style.Add("font-family", "verdana")
    .Style.Add("font-size", "10px")
    End With

    ' Add the cell to the table row.
    With tr1
    .Cells.Add(tc1)
    .Cells.Add(tc2)
    End With

    ' Add the table row to the table.
    tbl.Rows.Add(tr1)

    Next

    ' Now, add this table to the table cell we've designated to hold
    the folders table.
    FolderList.Controls.Add(tbl)

    Else

    tr1 = New HtmlTableRow
    tc1 = New HtmlTableCell

    ' We want to display one row with "No Folders".
    With tc1
    .InnerHtml = "No Folders"
    .Width = 200
    End With

    ' Add the cell to the table row.
    tr1.Cells.Add(tc1)

    ' Add the table row to the table.
    tbl.Rows.Add(tr1)

    End If

    tr1 = Nothing
    tc1 = Nothing
    tc2 = Nothing
    tbl = Nothing

    ' Clean up our table iteration objects.
    dr = Nothing
    dt = Nothing

    End Sub

    Private Function CreateLinkButton(ByVal ID As Integer, ByVal Text As
    String) As Control

    Dim lnk As LinkButton

    ' Create a new link button.
    lnk = New LinkButton

    ' Add a property to hold the SQL ID of the folder.
    lnk.Attributes.Add("fid", ID)

    ' Set the text for the item black.
    lnk.ForeColor = Color.Black

    ' Set the text to be the folder's name.
    lnk.Text = Text

    Return lnk

    End Function

    Private Sub CreateFolderRow(ByRef tbl As HtmlTable, ByVal ID As Integer,
    ByVal Text As String)

    Dim tr1 As HtmlTableRow
    Dim tc1 As HtmlTableCell
    Dim tc2 As HtmlTableCell
    Dim lnk As LinkButton

    tr1 = New HtmlTableRow
    tc1 = New HtmlTableCell
    tc2 = New HtmlTableCell

    ' Created a padded cell to give the folder list a padded feel.
    With tc1
    .Width = "20"
    .Align = "right"
    .BgColor = "#d5d0cc"
    .Controls.Add(New LiteralControl("&nbsp;"))
    If ID.ToString = SelectedFolder Then .BgColor = "#FFFFFF"
    End With

    ' Display the link.
    With tc2

    .Width = "180"
    .Align = "left"
    .BgColor = "#d5d0cc"
    .Style.Add("font-size", "10px")
    .Style.Add("font-family", "verdana")

    ' Create a link button for this folder.
    lnk = CreateLinkButton(ID, Text)

    ' Hook up the plumbing so we can handle click events.
    AddHandler lnk.Click, AddressOf FolderItem_Click

    ' Add the link button to the table's controls collection.
    .Controls.Add(lnk)

    ' Change the background of the item if this is the selected
    folder.
    If ID.ToString = SelectedFolder Then .BgColor = "#FFFFFF"

    End With

    ' Add the cell to the table row.
    With tr1
    .Cells.Add(tc1)
    .Cells.Add(tc2)
    End With

    ' Add the table row to the table.
    tbl.Rows.Add(tr1)

    tr1 = Nothing
    tc1 = Nothing
    tc2 = Nothing

    End Sub

    #End Region

    #Region " Events "

    Private Sub FolderItem_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs)

    Dim strID As String = ""
    Dim lb As LinkButton = CType(sender, LinkButton)

    ' Get the FID attribute of the folder link button.
    strID = lb.Attributes.Item("FID").ToString()

    Dim tc As HtmlTableCell
    tc = lb.Parent
    If Not (tc Is Nothing) Then tc.BgColor = "#ffffff"

    ' Set the selected folder.
    SelectedFolder = strID

    ' If the ID is numeric, display the folder's contents.
    If IsNumeric(strID) Then DisplayFolderContents(CType(strID,
    Integer))

    End Sub

    #End Region

    End Class

    Thanks, Feb 8, 2004

  2. Thanks

    Thanks Guest

    I hate it when I figure things out after writing a lengthy post!
    Setting the table's EnableViewState property to false rectified the problem.
    Thanks

    Thanks, Feb 8, 2004