Problem with background image in Firefox

Els

Hvid said:
Hi

I'm having a problem with the background image not taking up all the space of
a div. In IE it looks correctly. Anyone?

http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/test.html

The background image *does* take up all the space in the div, but the
div is not high enough.

The thing is that you have floats inside that div, and floats aren't
'seen' by their parents. You need an element with clear:both after the
last float, but still inside the outer div, which will then stretch
around it.

(IE does it wrong)

dorayme

Els said:
dorayme said:
Hvid Hat said:
[6 quoted lines suppressed]

#news-list {overflow: hidden;}

Great trick, I'll need to remember that one! :)

You seem to have gone away for a long time, Els, from here. Glad you are
back and glad rf is back, I have been beaten black and blue by all the
ones that stayed. It has been a very frightening experience. But anyway,
to keep my insanity intact, in that period where you abandoned us, I
knocked up:

<http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

Els

dorayme said:
You seem to have gone away for a long time, Els, from here.

Yup - too busy to usenet. (that's quite bad, isn't it)
Glad you are
back and glad rf is back, I have been beaten black and blue by all the
ones that stayed. It has been a very frightening experience. But anyway,
to keep my insanity intact, in that period where you abandoned us, I
knocked up:

<http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

I can't seem to get to that page, but that could well be a problem on
my end. Having connection troubles all day already, even the Mac has
trouble getting through my router at the moment. I do remember it
though, isn't it the page where you explain floats as naughty children
or something? You see, while I was away, I did peek through the window
every now and again ;-)

dorayme

Els said:
Yup - too busy to usenet. (that's quite bad, isn't it)

I can't seem to get to that page, but that could well be a problem on
my end. Having connection troubles all day already, even the Mac has
trouble getting through my router at the moment. I do remember it
though, isn't it the page where you explain floats as naughty children
or something? You see, while I was away, I did peek through the window
every now and again ;-)

Not quite, the naughty children one was an earlier small draft
manifestion of wild madness. The above URL is a later manifestation of a
more controlled kind of madness and much longer.

The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
having connection problems.

Els

dorayme said:
The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
having connection problems.

Yup - ping is fine, tracert shows no trouble, browser finding page: no
chance.
I just tried on my phone, works fine, and very fast too. Maybe I'll
read it on the small screen, else I'll try the browser again tomorrow.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Not quite, the naughty children one was an earlier small draft
manifestion of wild madness. The above URL is a later manifestation of a
more controlled kind of madness and much longer.

The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
having connection problems.

It seems to be a widespread problem. I cannot get to the url from
any computers in Toronto, but I can from one in Texas.

dorayme

Els said:
Yup - ping is fine, tracert shows no trouble, browser finding page: no
chance.
I just tried on my phone, works fine, and very fast too. Maybe I'll
read it on the small screen, else I'll try the browser again tomorrow.

O dear! I might have to think harder about its accessibility for phones!
I was preoccupied with just making sense of things for myself.

Els

dorayme said:
O dear! I might have to think harder about its accessibility for phones!
I was preoccupied with just making sense of things for myself.

In which case it is pretty good by accident then.
Although I noticed your min-width was a lot wider than my phone's
screen, the paragraphs automatically wrap, so it's easy to read entire
pages. At the bottom I just need to scroll a bit to the right to get
to the next page links, and I believe on the first page, the top
header is centered in a set width, as I need to scroll to the right to
read it whole.
If you want, I can provide screenshots too - they have fancy programs
on phones these days ;-)

Els

On 2008-09-19, dorayme wrote:

It seems to be a widespread problem. I cannot get to the url from
any computers in Toronto, but I can from one in Texas.

It's morning[1] here now, and I guess whichever 'hop' on the route was
blocked, has blown its nose overnight, as I can reach it fine now.

[1] well, I call it morning cause I just got up, but it's past noon!

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-09-19, dorayme wrote:

It seems to be a widespread problem. I cannot get to the url from
any computers in Toronto, but I can from one in Texas.

It's morning[1] here now, and I guess whichever 'hop' on the route was
blocked, has blown its nose overnight, as I can reach it fine now.

[1] well, I call it morning cause I just got up, but it's past noon!

Same here (on all counts).

dorayme

Els said:
In which case it is pretty good by accident then.
Although I noticed your min-width was a lot wider than my phone's
screen, the paragraphs automatically wrap, so it's easy to read entire
pages. At the bottom I just need to scroll a bit to the right to get
to the next page links, and I believe on the first page, the top
header is centered in a set width, as I need to scroll to the right to
read it whole.
If you want, I can provide screenshots too - they have fancy programs
on phones these days ;-)

Thanks, but I think your clear description is sufficient to give me an
accurate enough idea of what is happening. If it was paid for set of
pages, I might jump to it. I will take a look one day to see if I alter
one or two layout features to make it easier on a tiny screen.