Problem with background image in Firefox

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Hvid Hat, Sep 19, 2008.

  1. Hvid Hat

    Hvid Hat Guest

    Hvid Hat, Sep 19, 2008

  2. Hvid Hat

    Els Guest

    Hvid Hat wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm having a problem with the background image not taking up all the space of
    > a div. In IE it looks correctly. Anyone?
    >
    > http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/test.html

    The background image *does* take up all the space in the div, but the
    div is not high enough.

    The thing is that you have floats inside that div, and floats aren't
    'seen' by their parents. You need an element with clear:both after the
    last float, but still inside the outer div, which will then stretch
    around it.

    (IE does it wrong)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 19, 2008

  3. Hvid Hat

    dorayme Guest

    In article <48d40dd1$0$56796$>,
    "Hvid Hat" <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm having a problem with the background image not taking up all the space of
    > a div. In IE it looks correctly. Anyone?
    >
    > http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/test.html

    #news-list {overflow: hidden;}

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 19, 2008
  4. Hvid Hat

    Els Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <48d40dd1$0$56796$>,
    > "Hvid Hat" <> wrote:
    >
    >> [6 quoted lines suppressed]

    > #news-list {overflow: hidden;}

    Great trick, I'll need to remember that one! :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 19, 2008
  5. Hvid Hat

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Els <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > In article <48d40dd1$0$56796$>,
    > > "Hvid Hat" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> [6 quoted lines suppressed]

    > > #news-list {overflow: hidden;}

    > Great trick, I'll need to remember that one! :)

    You seem to have gone away for a long time, Els, from here. Glad you are
    back and glad rf is back, I have been beaten black and blue by all the
    ones that stayed. It has been a very frightening experience. But anyway,
    to keep my insanity intact, in that period where you abandoned us, I
    knocked up:

    <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 19, 2008
  6. Hvid Hat

    Els Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > You seem to have gone away for a long time, Els, from here.

    Yup - too busy to usenet. (that's quite bad, isn't it)

    > Glad you are
    > back and glad rf is back, I have been beaten black and blue by all the
    > ones that stayed. It has been a very frightening experience. But anyway,
    > to keep my insanity intact, in that period where you abandoned us, I
    > knocked up:
    >
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

    I can't seem to get to that page, but that could well be a problem on
    my end. Having connection troubles all day already, even the Mac has
    trouble getting through my router at the moment. I do remember it
    though, isn't it the page where you explain floats as naughty children
    or something? You see, while I was away, I did peek through the window
    every now and again ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 19, 2008
  7. Hvid Hat

    dorayme Guest

    In article <nfddnw188lej$.hwwspo9afva4$>,
    Els <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > You seem to have gone away for a long time, Els, from here.

    > Yup - too busy to usenet. (that's quite bad, isn't it)
    >
    > > Glad you are
    > > back and glad rf is back, I have been beaten black and blue by all the
    > > ones that stayed. It has been a very frightening experience. But anyway,
    > > to keep my insanity intact, in that period where you abandoned us, I
    > > knocked up:
    > >
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

    > I can't seem to get to that page, but that could well be a problem on
    > my end. Having connection troubles all day already, even the Mac has
    > trouble getting through my router at the moment. I do remember it
    > though, isn't it the page where you explain floats as naughty children
    > or something? You see, while I was away, I did peek through the window
    > every now and again ;-)

    Not quite, the naughty children one was an earlier small draft
    manifestion of wild madness. The above URL is a later manifestation of a
    more controlled kind of madness and much longer.

    The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
    having connection problems.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 19, 2008
  8. Hvid Hat

    Els Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    >>> <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

    > The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
    > having connection problems.

    Yup - ping is fine, tracert shows no trouble, browser finding page: no
    chance.
    I just tried on my phone, works fine, and very fast too. Maybe I'll
    read it on the small screen, else I'll try the browser again tomorrow.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 20, 2008
  9. On 2008-09-19, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <nfddnw188lej$.hwwspo9afva4$>,
    > Els <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I can't seem to get to that page, but that could well be a problem on
    >> my end. Having connection troubles all day already, even the Mac has
    >> trouble getting through my router at the moment. I do remember it
    >> though, isn't it the page where you explain floats as naughty children
    >> or something? You see, while I was away, I did peek through the window
    >> every now and again ;-)

    > Not quite, the naughty children one was an earlier small draft
    > manifestion of wild madness. The above URL is a later manifestation of a
    > more controlled kind of madness and much longer.
    >
    > The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
    > having connection problems.

    It seems to be a widespread problem. I cannot get to the url from
    any computers in Toronto, but I can from one in Texas.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 20, 2008
  10. Hvid Hat

    dorayme Guest

    In article <19945x1kqgllo.e786velvezr3$>,
    Els <> wrote:

    > > The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
    > > having connection problems.

    > Yup - ping is fine, tracert shows no trouble, browser finding page: no
    > chance.
    > I just tried on my phone, works fine, and very fast too. Maybe I'll
    > read it on the small screen, else I'll try the browser again tomorrow.

    O dear! I might have to think harder about its accessibility for phones!
    I was preoccupied with just making sense of things for myself.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 20, 2008
  11. Hvid Hat

    Els Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <19945x1kqgllo.e786velvezr3$>,

    >>> The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
    >>> having connection problems.

    >> Yup - ping is fine, tracert shows no trouble, browser finding page: no
    >> chance.
    >> I just tried on my phone, works fine, and very fast too. Maybe I'll
    >> read it on the small screen, else I'll try the browser again tomorrow.

    > O dear! I might have to think harder about its accessibility for phones!
    > I was preoccupied with just making sense of things for myself.

    In which case it is pretty good by accident then.
    Although I noticed your min-width was a lot wider than my phone's
    screen, the paragraphs automatically wrap, so it's easy to read entire
    pages. At the bottom I just need to scroll a bit to the right to get
    to the next page links, and I believe on the first page, the top
    header is centered in a set width, as I need to scroll to the right to
    read it whole.
    If you want, I can provide screenshots too - they have fancy programs
    on phones these days ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 20, 2008
  12. Hvid Hat

    Els Guest

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2008-09-19, dorayme wrote:

    >> The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
    >> having connection problems.

    > It seems to be a widespread problem. I cannot get to the url from
    > any computers in Toronto, but I can from one in Texas.

    It's morning[1] here now, and I guess whichever 'hop' on the route was
    blocked, has blown its nose overnight, as I can reach it fine now.

    [1] well, I call it morning cause I just got up, but it's past noon!

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 20, 2008
  13. On 2008-09-20, Els wrote:
    > Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-19, dorayme wrote:

    >>> The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
    >>> having connection problems.

    >> It seems to be a widespread problem. I cannot get to the url from
    >> any computers in Toronto, but I can from one in Texas.

    > It's morning[1] here now, and I guess whichever 'hop' on the route was
    > blocked, has blown its nose overnight, as I can reach it fine now.
    >
    > [1] well, I call it morning cause I just got up, but it's past noon!

    Same here (on all counts).

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 20, 2008
  14. Hvid Hat

    dorayme Guest

    In article <16rx9hsh4zk5z$>,
    Els <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > In article <19945x1kqgllo.e786velvezr3$>,

    > >> I just tried on my phone, works fine, and very fast too. Maybe I'll
    > >> read it on the small screen, else I'll try the browser again tomorrow.

    > > O dear! I might have to think harder about its accessibility for phones!
    > > I was preoccupied with just making sense of things for myself.

    > In which case it is pretty good by accident then.
    > Although I noticed your min-width was a lot wider than my phone's
    > screen, the paragraphs automatically wrap, so it's easy to read entire
    > pages. At the bottom I just need to scroll a bit to the right to get
    > to the next page links, and I believe on the first page, the top
    > header is centered in a set width, as I need to scroll to the right to
    > read it whole.
    > If you want, I can provide screenshots too - they have fancy programs
    > on phones these days ;-)

    Thanks, but I think your clear description is sufficient to give me an
    accurate enough idea of what is happening. If it was paid for set of
    pages, I might jump to it. I will take a look one day to see if I alter
    one or two layout features to make it easier on a tiny screen.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 21, 2008