problem with code

William Gill

The markup viewed with firebug is from the DOM, after the browsers error
correction has been applied. It's the browsers "view" of what the page looks
like.

This may differ from what the authors view of what the page looks like.
That's good to know. I suspect I'm not the only one who assumed they
were looking at a copy of the source in firebug.

Phillip Jones

picayunish said:
Use dirt and pointy finger as editor. It never gives up.

I've been using DreamWeaver since 2004 (upgraded several times) First
Time I've experienced this.

Raymond Schmit

In message <[email protected]>

NO - The real source is the file present on the server.
BTW this file is pretty good, the only problem is that some tags were
not closed. You close it, then the result is OK.

William Gill

?? Is this your feeble attempt at humor, or were you raised completely
devoid of manners?

I wasn't aware that the html displayed in firebug included browser
inserted optional closing tags, until seeing rf's post, and did some
experimenting on my own. Hadn't given it much thought previously, but
as you point out I am the only one who hadn't realized this.
Trouble is, there are TWO sources. One is the document that is on the
server and the other is what the server actually sends you. In general,
the latter is far more useful.

Please send me the link to the viewer that allows me to view an HTML
document as it exists on the server prior to execution of embedded
scripts and server side includes. That sounds like a helpful tool.

Dan

BTW this file is pretty good, the only problem is that some tags were
not closed. You close it, then the result is OK.

That's sort of like saying that Lincoln's trip to the theater was
pretty good, the only problem was that he got shot. Take out the
shooting, then the result is OK.

dorayme

William Gill said:
?? Is this your feeble attempt at humor, or were you raised completely
devoid of manners?
as you point out I am the only one who hadn't realized this.

You are not the only one, William.

btw, did the OP *ever* return?

William Gill

You are not the only one, William.
Whew! Glad to hear that said:
btw, did the OP *ever* return?
Somehow the original thread got split into two or three, and he came
back saying he (someone) had "fixed" w/o him having to learn or
understand anything.

Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
menu is not showing in ie 7

hello dear web designer programmers menus is not showing in the ie 7 but is appearing in mozila .

Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
difrence between

Relative Position

This allows you to place an object in relation to where it would normally have been positioned if only HTML were the only position control. What this means is that you position an HTML element within the current flow of the document. It gives you less control over the actual layout of the page, but allows you.

Absolute positioning takes its starting point from the upper left corner of the browser pane, this is coordinate 0,0. One thing to remember is that once you use absolute positioning, this object does not affect any other object in the flow.

Raymond Schmit

That's sort of like saying that Lincoln's trip to the theater was
pretty good, the only problem was that he got shot. Take out the
shooting, then the result is OK.

Is is so difficult to close the open tags ?
Your comparison is stupid !

Neredbojias

You misunderstood. You are looking at the source. One of the sources,
at least.

No, that is not what I meant at all.

As I went on to explain:

Yeahbut so what? The comparison is between "what the server actually
sends you" and the dom as parsed by the browser. _Those_ are the "two
sources" in question.

Neredbojias

Is is so difficult to close the open tags ?
Your comparison is stupid !

Well, I never shot anyone, but it seems like it would be pretty easy,
too. Noisy though.

Mike Duffy

@news.eternal-september.org:

back saying he (someone) had "fixed" it w/o him having to learn or
understand anything.

I hate when that happens. You spend hours monkeying with the code,
making it worse and worse and feeling like a bug in the whirlpool
circling the drain. Then before you go bed (late) you decide to at
least fix it up to how it was before you started with all of the minor
changes, each of which was not signicant enough to warrant a backup.
And when you do, that damn thing works like a charm, but you feel
cheated somehow out of learning whatever you did to correct it.

Dan

Is is so difficult to close the open tags ?
Your comparison is stupid !

To the original poster, apparently it is... he was told about that
problem, apparently, the last time he sought help years ago, and again
this time, and has steadfastly refused to correct the problem anyway.