Problem with Compress::Zlib

Mr. No Address

I have two machines with fresh Debian Sarge installs. On both I've
tried to "install Bundle::CPAN" and they both fail in the same way. It
looks like it might be a problem with Compress::Zlib. If I try to
install Compress::Zlib by itself I get the following:

~>perl -v
This is perl, v5.8.4 built for i386-linux-thread-multi

~>perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install Compress::Zlib
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:08:49 GMT
Running install for module Compress::Zlib
Running make for P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Zlib-1.33.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
Checksum for
/root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Zlib-1.33.tar.gz ok
Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
Compress-Zlib-1.33/
### Similar lines deleted ###

CPAN.pm: Going to build P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Zlib-1.33.tar.gz

Parsing config.in...
Building Zlib enabled
Looks Good.
Up/Downgrade complete.
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Compress::Zlib
-- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Mr. No Address

I had a very vanilla install and thus didn't have make installed on the
machine(s).