Problem with css and firefox

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Dorward, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Joker7 wrote:
    > http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/01702/test/test1.html

    > The following works ok in Internet Explorer,when
    > used with Mozilla Firefox it's just all over the
    > place.

    Gecko and Trident attempt to compensate for syntax errors in different ways.
    It happens that Trident is better at correcting for the errors you have
    made then Gecko. Try fixing the errors.

    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/01702/test/test1.html

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 28, 2005

  2. David Dorward

    Joker7 Guest

    Joker7, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Joker7 wrote:

    > God as I remove one error up pops more, im
    > starting to wonder if it's worth it!

    It is.

    > Can any one give me some idea on how to get the
    > lay out to work

    A glance at some of the markup showed some really weird constructs (such as
    table rows being children of div elements) which is very likely a
    contributing factor.

    Fixing the syntax errors is the way to go.

    > ,or should I just leave it be as
    > most people use Internet Explorer.

    Internet Explorer has a shrinking market share. Accepting bad code because
    it works there is asking for distaster, other browsers are gaining
    marketshare and there is no way to be sure that future versions of IE are
    going to have the same error recovery code.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 28, 2005
  4. David Dorward

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Joker7 wrote:

    > What is wrong with my lay out any ideas any help before I go mad!

    Now, I'm not entirely sure what you think the page is *supposed* to look
    like, but at a guess, you want to read up on the CSS "clear" property.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 28, 2005
  5. David Dorward

    Joker7 Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in
    message
    : Gecko and Trident attempt to compensate for
    syntax errors in different ways.
    : It happens that Trident is better at correcting
    for the errors you have
    : made then Gecko. Try fixing the errors.
    :
    :
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/01702/test/test1.html
    :
    :
    : --
    : David Dorward

    Thanks David,
    God as I remove one error up pops more, im
    starting to wonder if it's worth it!
    Can any one give me some idea on how to get the
    lay out to work,or should I just leave it be as
    most people use Internet Explorer.

    Chris

    Joker7, Mar 28, 2005
  6. Joker7 wrote:

    > Well I now have the page valid as HTML 4.01

    > So why is it still all over the place in firefox ?

    Seems much improved to me, but it looks like you re encountering a bug in
    IE, as Toby said earlier, you need to read up on "clear".

    http://www.quirksmode.org/css/clearing.html

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 28, 2005
  7. David Dorward

    Joker7 Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in
    message
    :
    : > God as I remove one error up pops more, im
    : > starting to wonder if it's worth it!
    :
    <sip>

    Well I now have the page valid as HTML 4.01
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/01702/test/test2.html .

    When I use http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    No error or warning found.

    So why is it still all over the place in firefox ?

    God I'm going to be bald headed soon as this is
    making me pull my hair out.

    Chris

    Joker7, Mar 28, 2005
  8. David Dorward

    Joker7 Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <>
    wrote in message
    : Joker7 wrote:
    :
    : > What is wrong with my lay out any ideas any
    help before I go mad!
    :
    : Now, I'm not entirely sure what you think the
    page is *supposed* to look
    : like, but at a guess, you want to read up on the
    CSS "clear" property.
    :
    : --
    : Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    : Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    :

    How should I use this in relation to my design
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_class_clear.asp

    Chris

    Joker7, Mar 28, 2005
  9. David Dorward

    Joker7 Guest

    Is the a good CSS / HTML Editor of the type what
    you see, at the moment I use ,cutehtm,dreamweaver4
    and Style Master 3.52 .

    As Im sure I must be goinging at this the wrong
    way.

    Chris

    Joker7, Mar 28, 2005
  10. David Dorward

    Joker7 Guest

    Let's redo this!!!

    Is there a good CSS / HTML Editor of the type
    what
    you see, at the moment I use ,cutehtm,dreamweaver4
    and Style Master 3.52 .

    As I'm sure I must be going at this the wrong
    way.

    Chris

    Good time for sleep nite nite.......

    Joker7, Mar 28, 2005