Problem with cx_freeze / FreezePython

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kevin Walzer, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. Kevin Walzer

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    I am trying to build a simple "hello.py" script with cx_freeze, but am
    not having any luck. Every time I run the FreezePython utility I get
    this error message:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File
    "/Users/kevin/Desktop/cx_Freeze-3.0.2/initscripts/ConsoleKeepPath.py",
    line 15, in ?
    exec code in m.__dict__
    File "FreezePython.py", line 1, in ?
    import optparse
    File "/usr/local/python-unix/lib/python2.4/optparse.py", line 72, in ?
    from gettext import gettext as _
    File "/usr/local/python-unix/lib/python2.4/gettext.py", line 49, in ?
    import locale, copy, os, re, struct, sys
    ImportError: Failure linking new module:
    /Users/kevin/Desktop/cx_Freeze-3.0.2/build/struct.so: Symbol not found:
    __PyFloat_Pack8
    Referenced from: /Users/kevin/Desktop/cx_Freeze-3.0.2/build/struct.so
    Expected in: dynamic lookup

    I've seen a similar error reported before, but no solution.

    This may be related to my setup, which is non-standard. I've built
    cx_freeze on Mac OS X (Darwin) using the "universal binary"
    dual-architecture structure (PPC/i386) of the Mac. I had to hack the
    setup files to get cx_freeze to build. (I'm using cx_freeze instead of
    the standard Mac build tool py2app because I'm using a normal Unix build
    of Python that links against X11 Tkinter.)

    Any advice is appreciated.

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Poetic Code
    Kevin Walzer, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Kevin Walzer

    Luca Masini Guest

    Kevin Walzer <> writes:

    > I am trying to build a simple "hello.py" script with cx_freeze, but am
    > not having any luck. Every time I run the FreezePython utility I get
    > this error message:
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File
    > "/Users/kevin/Desktop/cx_Freeze-3.0.2/initscripts/ConsoleKeepPath.py",
    > line 15, in ?
    > exec code in m.__dict__
    > File "FreezePython.py", line 1, in ?
    > import optparse
    > File "/usr/local/python-unix/lib/python2.4/optparse.py", line 72, in ?
    > from gettext import gettext as _
    > File "/usr/local/python-unix/lib/python2.4/gettext.py", line 49, in ?
    > import locale, copy, os, re, struct, sys
    > ImportError: Failure linking new module:
    > /Users/kevin/Desktop/cx_Freeze-3.0.2/build/struct.so: Symbol not found:
    > __PyFloat_Pack8
    > Referenced from: /Users/kevin/Desktop/cx_Freeze-3.0.2/build/struct.so
    > Expected in: dynamic lookup

    Maybe cx_Freeze was not able to find a shared library needed by struct.so
    because it is not a pure python module.

    Can you post the "hello.py" you are trying to build ?

    Regards.

    Luca.
    Luca Masini, Jul 29, 2006