    2. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object
    is read-only.

    S N, Apr 18, 2004

  2. S N

    Bob Barrows Guest

    S N wrote:
    > i had a working site with iis5 winxp professional on a p4 machine.
    > suddenly i am having problems with and the asp pages which have some
    > updating commands for the database. the update commands dont work and
    > i get one of the following error messages. i have tried restarting
    > the computer and have also reinstalled microsoft office xp but the
    > problem has not been solved as yet.
    > please help
    >
    > 1. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
    > registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x994 Thread
    > 0xac4 DBC 0x147f024 Jet'.
    >

    > 2. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or
    > object is read-only.

    1. Stop using ODBC. The Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers has been
    deprecated and users are advised to use the native Jet OLEDB provider
    instead. For a non-password-secured database, your connection string can be
    as simple as :
    conn.open "provider=micrososft.jet.oledb.4.0" & _
    "data source=p:\ath\to\your\database.mdb"

    You can use
    "data source=" & Server.Mappath("database.mdb")
    if your database is in a folder within the wwwroot folder.

    2. These 80004005 issues are always NTFS permissions-related. The
    IUSR_machinename account (and sometimes the IWAM_machinename account) needs
    Change permissions for the folder containing the database file.

    Bob Barrows

    PS. Gack!! Why did you crosspost to so many groups??? This is an asp and
    database issue. You did not have to post to so many groups.
    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db is the perfect group for this question.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows, Apr 18, 2004