problem with datasource being updated when the page is refreshed (Gridview)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mike Grace, May 5, 2006.

  1. Mike Grace

    Mike Grace Guest

    Hi,

    I have a gridview which is using a SqlDataSource to update a table.

    The SqlDatasource is using a stored procedure to update the table.

    If I edit a row, change a value and click update the change is successfully
    applied to the SQL table.

    After this, the values in the underlying table are changed by another
    process

    If I click the refresh button, when the page is redisplayed (after clicking
    retry on the warning), the underlying table is updated with the old values
    that were in the grid.

    This is obviously very dangerous.

    How can I stop this from happening?

    Surely when the page is refreshed, it shouldn't reapply the updates.

    Regards

    Mike
    Mike Grace, May 5, 2006

  2. Mike Grace

    Code Rodent Guest

    Young Michael,

    What I normally do for this kind of situation is add a last updated
    timestamp to the database table, and use this timestamp as part of the where
    clause when updating the row. Sorry I rather sidetracked your original
    question!

    Hope this helps

    Andy

    1. Force the page to expire so that it