Problem with DBD::DB2 and UTF8.

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Hemant Shah, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Hemant Shah

    Hemant Shah Guest

    Folks,

    Here is my setup:

    DB2 V8.2 ESE running on Linux with utf-8 code set.
    Database territory = us
    Database code page = 1208
    Database code set = utf-8
    Database country/region code = 1

    The tables in this database contain English, Spanish and Japanese text.

    I have DB2 V8.2 ESE setup on AIX (5.1, 5.2, 5.3), the database on
    AIX is setup as remote database:

    System Database Directory

    Number of entries in the directory = 1

    Database 1 entry:

    Database alias = GBLCODE
    Database name = GBLCODE
    Node name = GBLNODE
    Database release level = a.00
    Comment =
    Directory entry type = Remote
    Authentication = CLIENT
    Catalog database partition number = -1

    I have perl scripts using DBD:DB2 V 0.78 and DBI V1.45. The scripts were
    running fine under AIX 5.1 and 5.2. Recently I upgraded one of the systems
    from AIX 5.1 to AIX 5.3. Now my scripts do not work on AIX 5.3. When it
    fetches/inserts any column that contains UTF-8 characters it
    messes up the characters, and in many (not all) cases it thinks that the
    data is bigger than the column during insert.

    If I run the same script from AIX 5.2 system with everything else the same,
    it works fine.

    I ran command to update the instance and re-built DBI and DBD, but it did
    not fix the error. I checked locale filesets between AIX 5.2 and AIX 5.3
    and I cannot find anything missing.

    I wrote a simple perl script that reads Japanese (utf-8) text from a file
    and writes it out to another file, this seems to work so I think the problem
    is in DB2/DBD interface.

    I need to fix this problem because I need to upgrade the other system from
    AIX 5.2 to AIX 5.3.

    Thanks.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign