Problem with debug watch with "empty" web project in solution

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brad, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    When debugging my current web project, in VS2003, I found I had lost the
    ability to drill down on watch objects in the Watch Window; I could only
    view the single value specific watch objects.

    Here's what I discovered. In addition to my main web project and several
    middle tier projects, I also added an "empty" web project in my solution
    (Add - New Project - Empty Web Project). This empty web project is what is
    causing the above problem. If I remove the empty project or alternately add
    code so that something will compile in it then watch objects in debug work
    correctly.

    I created the "empty" project so my solution could include a "project" to
    manage (add, delete, update from VS2003) items in root web folder which
    contains all of my shared items, such as style sheets, images, client
    script, etc.....but this project contains no .Net code (no assembly,
    global.asax, aspx or bin.) I had also set my solution config so the Shared
    project is not included in the builds ( I am not trying to debug anything
    in the "empty" project)

    Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm miss using VS so I thought I'd post this
    to see what feedback I might get.

    Thanks

    Brad

    Brad, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Hi Brad,

    Thanks for posting in the community!
    From your description, you have a solution which contains many projects one
    ASP.NET web projects, some other component projects, also and empty project
    which used to mapping the IIS sever's root folder and put some static
    materials in it. HOwever, you found when F5 debug the project(ASP.NET
    project, ?) the watcher didn't work correctly, you can't dill down a
    complex instance to view its members . And this problem disappeared when
    you remove the empty project, yes?

    As for this problem, I've tested as you descibed on my side, I have an
    existing ASP.NET web project, now I added a empty project as you mentioned
    and it's url is the IIS'sever's root folder. I only put one css style sheet
    in it. Then I starting F5 debug in the ASP.NET project as normal but it
    seems that the problem dosen't occur. So would you please try out the
    following steps:
    1. Try creating a new solution and then add two projects , one ASP.NET and
    another empty project as you mentioned . Then try test on it to see whether
    the problem can be repro?

    2. Try the step in #1 on some other machine which has VS2003 and IIS
    installed to see whether the problem remains. If not, you may have a check
    to see whether there're any differences .

    Please try out the above steps and let me know if you have any updates.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 26, 2004

  3. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Steven -
    #1 per your instructions and reproduced problem. Removed the "empty" project
    and debug worked correctly.

    #2 per your instructions and reproduced problem on 4 different machines.
    Removed the "empty" project and debug worked correctly.

    Machine 1
    VS2003 enterprise architect
    OS win2003 standard server

    Machine 2
    VS2003 enterprise architect
    OS win2003 standard server

    Machine 3
    VS2003 enterprise architect
    OS XP Pro

    Machine 4
    VS2003 enterprise architect
    OS XP Pro

    - Brad

    > Hi Brad,
    >

    > Thanks for posting in the community!
    > From your description, you have a solution which contains many projects

    one

    Brad, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Hi Brad,

    Thanks for your followup and the test results you provided. Since the
    problem you described is able to be repro on different envs. Would you
    please attached a simple project(simple enought to repro the problem) and
    the detailed steps to repro the problem. Thus, I'll try to have a further
    troubleshoot on my side.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 27, 2004
  5. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Steps to reproduce problem.

    1) Start VS2003

    2) Click Help - About Microsoft Development Environment.
    Confirm you are using Visual Studio 7.1.3088 with Framework 1.1.4322

    3) From the menu select
    File - New Project
    In the New Project dialog select - Visual Basic Projects -
    ASP.NET Web Application
    Accept the default name of WebApplication1
    4) In the Solution Explorer, right click WebForm1.aspx and select to view
    code (WebForm1.aspx should have be created as part of the project).

    5) In the code view right click on the End Sub line of Page_Load as select
    to Insert Breakpoint.

    6) Start the VS debugger - (from the menu) Debug - Start

    7) When VS pauses at the break point click on the first line of the Watch
    window. If the watch window is not displayed, from the menu Debug -
    Windows - Watch - Watch 1

    In the first cell of the Watch 1 window enter "Request". You should see a
    + (plus sign) to the left of "Request". If you click on the + you should
    be able to drill down on the Request object. This cofirms that drill down
    works to this point. You can end the debug session.

    8) From the menu select
    File - New Project
    In the New Project dialog select - Visual Basic Projects - Empty
    Web Project
    Make sure "Add to solution" is selected
    Accept the default name of WebProject1
    Your solution should now contain two projects: WebApplication1
    and WebProject1

    9) Repeat the debugging steps 6 and 7 (you should still have a breakpoint
    on End Sub of Page_Load)
    However, this time when you click on the + next to "Request" in the Watch 1
    window there will be no drill down and the + sign will disappear.
    To reconfirm this, remove Request from the Watch 1 window. Add it back in
    as described in step 7. Again when you attempt to drill down by clicking on
    + the drill down will not work.

    10) Remove the empty "WebProject1" from the solution. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
    The drill down on items in the Watch 1 window will now work again.

    Note: It does not matter what object you attempt to watch, the results will
    be the same.

    Brad

    Brad, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Hi Brad,

    Thanks for your further infos especially the repro steps. I've repro the
    problem on my side. Currently, we are
    finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security(This posting is provided "AS IS",
    with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 28, 2004
  7. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Reposting this as it hasn't shown up on the newsgroup since original post on
    2/27

    Brad, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Hi Brad,

    After further testing, we acknowledge this is appears to be a bug and we
    will try to get it fixed in a future service pack. Also I'm sorry for any
    inconvenience bring to you. Thanks.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 2, 2004
  9. Brad

    Brad Guest