Problem with Excel Automation in ASP.net on IIS6 & Windows 2003

Sam Vanderstraeten

Hi all,

Situation:
- ASP.net application, written in VB.net
- Excel 2002 installed on server

Problem:
The application I wrote is an ASP.net webpage that uses Excel to generate
some pages. This works already more than 1,5 years on a Windows 2000 server
with IIS 5 and the .NET Framework 1.1.
To run the Excel from a webpage, I "activated" impersonation in the
machine.config.

Now, another copy of that application needs to be installed on a new server:
Windows 2003 Server with IIS 6.
Troubles from the first run! :-(
I'm getting the well known error saying "Cannot create ActiveX component". I
tuned eveything in the same way as I did (already 10 times) on Windows 2000
Machines.
I guess it is a security issue, so I changed the settings in "dcomcnfg.exe",
with no effect...

Does anyone has a suggestion how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Nick Hall

Sam Vanderstraeten said:
[...]

You may wish to review the contents of the following Knowlege Base
Article: -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;257757

Basically, Office is not supported in a server scenario.

Regards,

Nick Hall