Problem with Excel Automation in ASP.net on IIS6 & Windows 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Sam Vanderstraeten, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    Situation:
    - ASP.net application, written in VB.net
    - Excel 2002 installed on server

    Problem:
    The application I wrote is an ASP.net webpage that uses Excel to generate
    some pages. This works already more than 1,5 years on a Windows 2000 server
    with IIS 5 and the .NET Framework 1.1.
    To run the Excel from a webpage, I "activated" impersonation in the
    machine.config.

    Now, another copy of that application needs to be installed on a new server:
    Windows 2003 Server with IIS 6.
    Troubles from the first run! :-(
    I'm getting the well known error saying "Cannot create ActiveX component". I
    tuned eveything in the same way as I did (already 10 times) on Windows 2000
    Machines.
    I guess it is a security issue, so I changed the settings in "dcomcnfg.exe",
    with no effect...

    Does anyone has a suggestion how to solve this problem?

    Thanks in advance!

    Sam

    Sam Vanderstraeten, Dec 8, 2005

  2. Sam Vanderstraeten

    Nick Hall Guest

    "Sam Vanderstraeten" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Situation:
    > - ASP.net application, written in VB.net
    > - Excel 2002 installed on server
    >
    > Problem:
    > The application I wrote is an ASP.net webpage that uses Excel to generate
    > some pages. This works already more than 1,5 years on a Windows 2000
    > server
    > with IIS 5 and the .NET Framework 1.1.
    > To run the Excel from a webpage, I "activated" impersonation in the
    > machine.config.
    >
    > Now, another copy of that application needs to be installed on a new
    > server:
    > Windows 2003 Server with IIS 6.
    > Troubles from the first run! :-(
    > I'm getting the well known error saying "Cannot create ActiveX component".
    > tuned eveything in the same way as I did (already 10 times) on Windows
    > 2000
    > Machines.
    > I guess it is a security issue, so I changed the settings in
    > "dcomcnfg.exe",
    > with no effect...
    >
    > Does anyone has a suggestion how to solve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Sam

    You may wish to review the contents of the following Knowlege Base
    Article: -

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;257757

    Basically, Office is not supported in a server scenario.

    Regards,

    Nick Hall

    Nick Hall, Dec 9, 2005