    Firefox).
    Please help me,
    Ofir.

    ofiras, Apr 3, 2009

  2. ofiras

    rf Guest

    ofiras wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am having a problem with explorer regarding tables.

    No, your real problem is that you are using code that went out of fashion
    last century.

    Re-write it using modern technology.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Apr 3, 2009

  3. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 3 ×פריל, 14:30, "rf" <> wrote:
    > ofiras wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I am having a problem with explorer regarding tables.

    > No, your real problem is that you are using code that went out of fashion
    > last century.
    >
    > Re-write it using modern technology.
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    Can you be more specific? I learned html long ago so i don't know what
    you mean...

    ofiras, Apr 3, 2009
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed ofiras <> writing
    in

    > On 3 ×פריל, 14:30, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> ofiras wrote:
    >> > Hello,
    >> > I am having a problem with explorer regarding tables.

    >> No, your real problem is that you are using code that went out of
    >> fashion last century.
    >>
    >> Re-write it using modern technology.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Richard.

    > Can you be more specific? I learned html long ago so i don't know what
    > you mean...

    Please trim signatures when you reply to a post.

    I agree with Richard, I would scrap what you have and start over. The
    methods you learned for marking HTML you learned long ago have evolved.
    No more presentational markup, eg: <font color='blue' size='3'
    style='font-family: Arial'> - now it's semantic markup, using the right
    tool for the job. Use heading elements for headings, lists for lists,
    tables for tabular data (not for positioning of elements), paragraphs
    for paragraphs (no repeated line breaks). Leave presentation to CSS -
    that's what it's for.

    You are mixing style attributes with presentational markup. Don't.
    Markup your document in a meaningful way, and put all the presentation
    in an external stylesheet.

    Start learning basic HTML (again) and CSS - [http://htmldog.com/] is a
    good place to start.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 3, 2009
  5. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 3 ×פריל, 19:19, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed ofiras <> writing
    > innews::

    > >> No, your real problem is that you are using code that went out of
    > >> fashion last century.

    > >> Re-write it using modern technology.

    > >> --
    > >> Richard.

    > > Can you be more specific? I learned html long ago so i don't know what
    > > you mean...

    > Please trim signatures when you reply to a post.
    >
    > I agree with Richard, I would scrap what you have and start over.  The
    > methods you learned for marking HTML you learned long ago have evolved.
    > No more presentational markup, eg: <font color='blue' size='3'
    > style='font-family: Arial'> - now it's semantic markup, using the right
    > tool for the job.  Use heading elements for headings, lists for lists,
    > tables for tabular data (not for positioning of elements), paragraphs
    > for paragraphs (no repeated line breaks).  Leave presentation to CSS -
    > that's what it's for.
    >
    > You are mixing style attributes with presentational markup.  Don't.
    > Markup your document in a meaningful way, and put all the presentation
    > in an external stylesheet.
    >
    > Start learning basic HTML (again) and CSS - [http://htmldog.com/] is a
    > good place to start.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    A lot to learn... Thanks.
    Ofir.

    ofiras, Apr 3, 2009
  6. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    Yet another problem - I have rearranged the content with css instead
    of tables, but I can't get this working.
    I used static position of the div (with class box1) to create space
    between it and the border, but it doesn't work and I can't figure out
    another way to do it. plus, I wanted the date and time (in green) to
    be in the left of the line, in the same line as the "test" link, but
    when I put it in a div it is going one line downwards, and this is
    very frustrating. I haven't found any way to do it without tables.
    Again, this is the page: http://testweb101.awardspace.com/show.html
    (don't mind the surroundings; I will change it to css too afterwards
    since for now I don't have any problems with it.)
    Please help, I must finish it soon.
    Ofir.

    ofiras, Apr 4, 2009
  7. ofiras

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    ofiras <> wrote:

    > I have rearranged the content with css instead
    > of tables, ... http://testweb101.awardspace.com/show.html

    It does not seem that way. If you are going to use tables for laying out
    a whole page this way, you must make sure it at least validates. For the
    simple reason that if you are going to be bad, at least do it well.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 4, 2009
  8. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 4 ×פריל, 11:42, Ben C <> wrote:
    > On 2009-04-04, ofiras <> wrote:
    >
    > > Yet another problem - I have rearranged the content with css instead
    > > of tables, but I can't get this working.
    > > I used static position of the div (with class box1) to create space
    > > between it and the border, but it doesn't work and I can't figure out
    > > another way to do it.

    > You seem to have used position: static and right: 80px. Right does
    > nothing to boxes that are position: static, it only applies to fixed,
    > absolute or relative (and means different things in those three cases).
    >
    > > plus, I wanted the date and time (in green) to
    > > be in the left of the line, in the same line as the "test" link, but
    > > when I put it in a div it is going one line downwards, and this is
    > > very frustrating.

    > Move the date up in the HTML so it's the first thing in box1. Why use a
    > div at all? If you really want one, make it display: inline.
    >
    > > I haven't found any way to do it without tables.
    > > Again, this is the page:http://testweb101.awardspace.com/show.html

    Thanks, I finally placed the date and time where I wanted.
    In addition, I successfully made a space between the div and the right
    border of the middle cell.
    But I still have one more problem - I used relative position in the
    box1 div and right: 10px but now it goes out of the middle cell's left
    border... Is there a way to fix it (I thought about making the width
    10px smaller but I'm not sure it is possible...)
    Sorry if I am annoying... I'm frustrated.
    Again the link to the page is: http://testweb101.awardspace.com/show.html
    Please help me!
    Ofir.

    ofiras, Apr 4, 2009
  9. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 4 ×פריל, 14:31, Ben C <> wrote:
    > On 2009-04-04, ofiras <> wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > > Thanks, I finally placed the date and time where I wanted.
    > > In addition, I successfully made a space between the div and the right
    > > border of the middle cell.
    > > But I still have one more problem - I used relative position in the
    > > box1 div and right: 10px but now it goes out of the middle cell's left
    > > border... Is there a way to fix it (I thought about making the width
    > > 10px smaller but I'm not sure it is possible...)

    > Get rid of width: 100%, and don't set width at all (or explicitly set
    > "width: auto" if you like) Then give it margin-right: 10px. You can also
    > set a left margin if you want.
    >
    > General tips:
    >
    > 1. width: 100% is hardly ever needed, width: auto is much more often
    >    what you want.
    > 2. You hardly ever want to use position: relative for anything other
    >    than its side-effects (on positioned descendents and so that you can
    >    use z-index). This means that if you ever do use position: relative,
    >    you very likely don't want to set top, bottom, left or right to
    >    anything but to leave them all at 0. The only useful use of relative
    >    with an offset I think I've ever seen is Korpela's suggestion to use
    >    it for superscript and subscript so that they don't change the line
    >    box height.

    Thanks.
    Well I thought I finished with it when I saw that everything is fine,
    except that I only checked in Firefox. Now I see that in explorer
    there are still problems with it :-(. I hate explorer!
    In explorer the date is getting out of the cell's left border, and for
    some reason the background in the second div (where the background is
    lighter) starts later than the text.
    Please help me finish this and thanks a lot for the help,
    Ofir.

    ofiras, Apr 4, 2009
  10. ofiras

    ofiras Guest

    On 4 ×פריל, 15:55, Ben C <> wrote:
    > On 2009-04-04, ofiras <> wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > > Well I thought I finished with it when I saw that everything is fine,
    > > except that I only checked in Firefox. Now I see that in explorer
    > > there are still problems with it :-(. I hate explorer!
    > > In explorer the date is getting out of the cell's left border, and for
    > > some reason the background in the second div (where the background is
    > > lighter) starts later than the text.
    > > Please help me finish this and thanks a lot for the help,

    > I can't help you with Explorer I'm afraid. I don't have access to the
    > browser but hear it's very buggy.
    >
    > The only thing I can recommend is use simple, valid HTML markup and turn
    > off all stylesheets for IE.

    But then i will go back to the problem that made me write this topic.
    If you will find a way to do what i want without the stylesheets i
    will be very happy.
    Thanks anyway,
    Ofir.

    ofiras, Apr 4, 2009
  11. ofiras

    Rob W. Guest

    ofiras schreef:

    > Thanks.
    > Well I thought I finished with it when I saw that everything is fine,
    > except that I only checked in Firefox. Now I see that in explorer
    > there are still problems with it :-(. I hate explorer!
    > In explorer the date is getting out of the cell's left border, and for
    > some reason the background in the second div (where the background is
    > lighter) starts later than the text.
    > Please help me finish this and thanks a lot for the help,
    > Ofir.

    Maybe it helps if you get rid of all the validation errors first.
    check this:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://testweb101.awardspace.com/show.html

    --
    Rob W