Problem with "Find in Entire Solution"

Nick Gilbert

Hi,

I'm not sure if I've broken my VS.NET installation or if there has
always been a bug of some sort, but basically Find in Entire Solution
(ctrl-shift-F) isn't finding strings in my solution's project files
which I KNOW are there.

For example, if I search for Page_Load (which is in many many files) it
finds nothing.

The pattern I'm using is:

*.cs;*.htm;*.html;*.aspx;*.ascx;*.asp;*.xml;*.css

...but despite the *.cs it's only searching files which have one
extension. Ie it will search section.cs, but not default.aspx.cs - even
though *.cs matches the latter.

The workaround is to add *.aspx.cs and *.ascx.cs to the pattern, but I'm
sure I never needed to do this before.

Why has this broken? Can somebody else please let me know if the above
pattern normally searches .aspx.cs files in Visual Studio 2003.

Also if anybody has any clues as to why this has stopped working, please
let me know.

Nick...

Karl Seguin

Nick,
I can't offer any solution other than to tell you mine's working like this
as well...so at least you know you didn't break your install :) I can't say
I ever noticed before. Seems to me that another workaround to your aspx.cs
solution would be to simply use *.* or alternatively *cs (note I didn't
put a dot).

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/index.aspx - New and Improved (yes, the popup is

William F. Robertson, Jr.

You could also use the DOS command findstr. I have had the best luck with
this as I can pipe the returned values to a file for distribution to my
development group.

say you wanted to search for Page_Load

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\tempasp\> findstr /s /c:"Page_Load" *.cs

That will search all files recursively (/s) look for the string (/c:"")
Page_Load in files *.cs. Also you can have *.*.

You can use findstr /? at dos prompt for further instructions.

examples
findstr /s /c:"Page_Load" *.cs > c:\bob.txt
findstr /s /i /c:"page_load" *.* > c:\bob.txt

HTH,

bill