Problem with FindControl

lisa

I've been trying to build a tab control, as an alternative to the MS IE
TabStrip and MultiPage.

It works great. Except for anything that's actually put onto one of
the tabs.

Controls on the tabs render fine, but their postback events and
postback data changes just don't happen. I've been working a seriously
kludgy thing to get around this and manually raise postback data and
event stuff, but I shouldn't have to be doing that. I have the source
code for the MS IE controls, and they don't do anything like that.

I did some comparisons in debug mode, and I found a difference, but I
don't understand the significance of it. If I type in the ID of a
control that's on one of the tabs, all of its info shows up, in both my
control and theirs. But if I do FindControl(controlID), the control on
the MS MultiPage is seen, and the one on mine returns Nothing.

Here's a partial listing. btnInside is on a Tab in my TabControl, and
btnDelItem is on a PageView in an MS MultiPage control:

?btnInside
{System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button}
BindingContainer: {ASP.WebForm4_aspx}
CausesValidation: True
ClientID: "btnInside"
CommandArgument: ""
CommandName: ""
Enabled: True
EnableViewState: True
ID: "btnInside"
NamingContainer: {ASP.WebForm4_aspx}
Page: {ASP.WebForm4_aspx}
Parent: {MyStuff.WebPL.Tab}
Site: Nothing
TemplateSourceDirectory: "/LisaTest"
Text: "btnInside"
UniqueID: "btnInside"
Visible: True

?FindControl("btnInside")
Nothing

?btnDelItem
{System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button}
BindingContainer: {ASP.default_aspx}
CausesValidation: True
ClientID: "btnDelItem"
CommandArgument: ""
CommandName: ""
Enabled: True
EnableViewState: True
ID: "btnDelItem"
NamingContainer: {ASP.default_aspx}
Page: {ASP.default_aspx}
Parent: {Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.PageView}
Site: Nothing
TemplateSourceDirectory: "/QMI"
Text: "Delete"
UniqueID: "btnDelItem"
Visible: True

?FindControl("btnDelItem")
{System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button}
[System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button]:
{System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button}
BindingContainer: {ASP.default_aspx}
ClientID: "btnDelItem"
EnableViewState: True
ID: "btnDelItem"
NamingContainer: {ASP.default_aspx}
Page: {ASP.default_aspx}
Parent: {Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.PageView}
Site: Nothing
TemplateSourceDirectory: "/QMI"
UniqueID: "btnDelItem"
Visible: True

Neither the PageView or the Tab have an ID set. I'm sure that the
difference when I try FindControl has to be related to the problem I'm
having, but I just keep coming up with nothing.

If anyone can help, I'd be so grateful.

Thanks,
Lisa

Sergey Polyakov

Hello Lisa
Controls on the tabs render fine, but their postback events and
postback data changes just don't happen.

You may try to check in debug mode the "__EVENTTARGET" hidden input value
(available via request params) against your control's unique id. Obviously
they don't match and WebForms can't find control to call the
RaisePostBackEvent method.
I did some comparisons in debug mode, and I found a difference, but I
don't understand the significance of it. If I type in the ID of a
control that's on one of the tabs, all of its info shows up, in both my
control and theirs. But if I do FindControl(controlID), the control on
the MS MultiPage is seen, and the one on mine returns Nothing.

Usually problems with FindControl method occur due to NamingContainer or
unique id issues (for example if a control inherits from the
INamingContainer interface and one of its child controls also inherits from
this interface the FindControl method of the parent 'NamingContainer'
control will not find controls nested within its child 'NamingContainer'
control). But according to the extract from your debug information it looks
like both naming containers and unique ids are ok.

Best regards,
Sergey