problem with FindControl

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Terry, Feb 15, 2007.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Hi,

    i want to access control "TextBox1" embedded in another control "LoginView1"
    in order to change the 'Text' of the textbox.

    Therefore i use 'FindControl' method but i get error:
    "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" on line: tb =
    lv.FindControl("textbox1")

    Thanks for help
    Cliff

    aspx:
    ----
    <asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1"
    Runat="Server">
    <asp:LoginView ID="LoginView1" runat="server">
    <LoggedInTemplate>
    <fieldset style="height: 425px; width: 335px;">
    <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server" Text=""></asp:TextBox>
    </fieldset>
    </LoggedInTemplate>
    </asp:LoginView>
    </asp:Content>

    code-behind:
    -----------
    Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
    Handles Me.Load
    Dim lv As LoginView
    Dim tb As TextBox
    lv = FindControl("loginview1")
    tb = lv.FindControl("textbox1")
    tb.Text = "ok"
    end sub

    Terry, Feb 15, 2007

  2. Teemu Keiski

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    If you are running this on the content page, you don't need tom FindControl
    the LoginView. You can just

    Dim tb As TextBox
    tb = Me.LoginView1.FindControl("textbox1")
    tb.Text = "ok"

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    AspInsider, ASP.NET MVP

    Teemu Keiski, Feb 15, 2007

  3. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Thanks, it works indeed ...
    Maybe you can also help me with the other problem in the thread above "how
    to trigger .."?

    Terry, Feb 15, 2007