PROBLEM WITH FRAMES

Racket

Yep, I know frames are a problem.
Probably should be a law against 'em.

Still, if you know your frames stuff and can help, I will thank you big
time.

PLEASE, if you are unable or unenclined to help, please resist the
temptation to join the string to lecture or evangelise on the evils of
frames. Genuine, non judgemental help is all I need and will be sincerely
appreciated.

Built a page with left and top frame for nav bar and body frame etc. When
viewed in IE6, if
the left bar ( favorites or hisory etc) is open, only the left frame ( nav
bar) shows up!
Move the side bar to the left or remove it and the body page and top frame
returns.

Anyone know how to fix this?
This is for a major client with an established site. Dumping the frames at
this point is not an option.
Many thanks to all.

A is a good set.(below)
B is the problem set

( In the problem set, the "right_blank" was to get the scroll bar to be at
the right of the BODY "page" - which doesn't take up all of the screen left
to right - rather than over on the right hand edge of the SCREEN on it's
own. This is the possble cause of my problem, but it would be good to know I
could get the scroll bar away from the edge of the screen without causing
this problem

[A] GOOD FRAMESET
..
<FRAMESET rows="419*" cols="82,858*" frameborder="NO" border="0"
framespacing="0">
<FRAME name="leftFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize
src="../frame_pages/m_range_left.htm" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
<FRAMESET rows="149,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0"
cols="*">
<FRAME name="topFrame" noresize scrolling="NO" marginwidth="0"
marginheight="0" src="../frame_pages/m_range_top.htm">
<FRAME name="mainFrame" src="../frame_pages/m_range_body.htm"
marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="YES">
</FRAMESET>
</FRAMESET>
..
..
NOT SO GOOD SET
..
<FRAMESET rows="419*" cols="82,668*,97" frameborder="NO" border="0"
framespacing="0">
<FRAME name="leftFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize
src="../frame_pages/summary_left.htm" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
<FRAMESET rows="187,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0"
cols="*">
<FRAME name="topFrame" noresize scrolling="NO"
src="../frame_pages/summary_top.htm" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
<FRAME name="mainFrame" src="../frame_pages/summary_body.htm"
marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="YES">
</FRAMESET>
<FRAME src="../frame_pages/summary_right_blank.htm">
</FRAMESET>

Mitja

.
[...]

BOTH framesets are, at best, weird. Have a look in the specs at what "668*"
and similar actually means. For your purpose, "*" will be sufficient and, at
least with IE6, won't cause trouble.

Please don't write all-caps subjects.

Els

Racket said:
Yep, I know frames are a problem.
Probably should be a law against 'em.

Don't forget that! :)
Built a page with left and top frame for nav bar and body frame etc. When
viewed in IE6, if
the left bar ( favorites or hisory etc) is open, only the left frame ( nav
bar) shows up!

Here, only the middle frame disappears, both left and right
frame stay. Right frame gets really wide though.
(pasted your code in an empty file, didn't add anything, no
Move the side bar to the left or remove it and the body page and top frame
returns.

This has nothing to do with the favorites or history bar.
Has to do with the width of the window, which obviously gets
smaller when you open the left bar.
Try it. Narrow your window, same effect, right?
Anyone know how to fix this?

My guess is that cols="82,668*,97" means something like
left: 82, right: 97 and the middle: 668 or greater?
Means when your window gets narrower than 82+97+668=847
wide, there's no room for the middle frame anymore.
A is a good set.(below)
B is the problem set

( In the problem set, the "right_blank" was to get the scroll bar to be at
the right of the BODY "page" - which doesn't take up all of the screen left
to right - rather than over on the right hand edge of the SCREEN on it's
own. This is the possble cause of my problem, but it would be good to know I
could get the scroll bar away from the edge of the screen without causing
this problem

I read this more than once, but I don't see what your
intention was with the right_blank. You wanted a scrollbar
to the right of the BODY "page" -- What is the BODY "page"?
rather than over on the right hand edge of the SCREEN --
You'll never get a scrollbar on the screen. You mean the
window, probably. Still, I don't understand what you want.
[A] GOOD FRAMESET
.
[...]

I personally never have seen both rows and cols defined in
the same frameset at once. Also, 419* should read 419, * -
if that's what you want, two rows, first one 419 high,
second one takes up the rest. But i think you just meant *,
as in total height.

In that case, I would have written frameset A like this:
<frameset cols="82,*">
<frame>
<frameset rows="187, *">
<frame>
<frame>
</frameset>
</frameset>

and frameset B like this:
<frameset cols="82, *, 97">
<frame>
<frameset rows="187, *">
<frame>
<frame>
<frame>
</frameset>
</frameset>

Of course you add your lack of margin widths and heights,
framespacings, borders etc.
I would make all the scrolling="no" into "auto", as
otherwise, visitors with smaller windows or larger font-size
may not be able to read all that's in your left or right
columns.
Frameborder="no" should be frameborder="0".
Yes and no are only supported by Netscape, while all the
browsers support the values 1 and 0.

May I suggest frameset C, just in case you want the header
to be 3 columns wide?
<frameset rows="187, *">
<frame>
<frameset cols="82, *, 97">
<frame>
<frame>
</frameset>
</frameset>

Whitecrest

Yep, I know frames are a problem.
Probably should be a law against 'em.

You also know, that prefacing your question about frames with this, will
not stop the flood of anti frame replies..

Still, if you know your frames stuff and can help, I will thank you big
time.
PLEASE, if you are unable or unenclined to help....

That is where you are wrong, they ARE helping. What they are telling
you is what they truly believe is the correct answer about frames, and
about 90% of the time they are right.
please resist the
temptation to join the string to lecture or evangelise on the evils of
frames.....

Too late...
Built a page with left and top frame for nav bar and body frame etc. When
viewed in IE6, if
the left bar ( favorites or hisory etc) is open, only the left frame ( nav
bar) shows up!
Move the side bar to the left or remove it and the body page and top frame
returns.
Anyone know how to fix this?

It sounds like a bug in IE. Doe sit happen if you already have the
sidebar open BEFORE you navigate to the site? Or only when you open it
when you are already at the site? How about a URL, showing the page (if
not the "real" page, at least a test page that has the issue.

Els

Edwin said:
I know how how's writting O:)

Sorry, English speakers, just a short Dutch interception:
als daar niet minimaal twee spelfouten en één woord teveel
in zitten, Edwin, mag ik dan ff een nederlandse vertaling? ;-)

Els

Edwin said:
Oops.
I meant. I know how's writing.

Dutch interception.
Ik weet wie het schrijft. Eigenlijk is het: Ik weet wie het zegt.

My cat was standing in the way.

So you meant who, not how, as well? :-D
(persistant cat, you have ;-))

Edwin van der Vaart

Els said:
Sorry, English speakers, just a short Dutch interception: als daar niet
minimaal twee spelfouten en één woord teveel in zitten, Edwin, mag ik
dan ff een nederlandse vertaling? ;-)

Oops.
I meant. I know how's writing.

Dutch interception.
Ik weet wie het schrijft. Eigenlijk is het: Ik weet wie het zegt.

My cat was standing in the way.

Mark Parnell

Yep, I know frames are a problem.
Probably should be a law against 'em.

Indeed, but then...
Built a page with left and top frame for nav bar and body frame etc.

If you know they are such a problem, why use them in the first place?
Methinks I smell a troll.

Whitecrest

If you know they are such a problem, why use them in the first place?
Methinks I smell a troll.

I think you just see someone that has a frame questions and is worried
about getting belittled by the anti-frame crowd.