Problem with gems behind a corporate firewall

Glenn Smith

Not sure if this is something that can be sorted by gems or is a
problem with our network here.

At work I sit behind a proxy server. To run gems I have to run:

gem update -r -p http://<proxy>:<port>

This has in the past allowed me to update to rails 0.10.1 but when I
run the above again it still just gives me the same version. It's
like the proxy is supplying what it thinks is the latest version
because that's what it has in it's cache, when really I want to force
it to bypass the proxy cache and download the latest version.

To bypass this problem for now I disconnect from the lan and dial up
the internet using the modem and run "gem update" this way, which
downloads the latest stuff, but it's a pain to have to do that all the
time.

Cheers