    due to this change? Any info appreciated.

    Cheers

    , Mar 6, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > Sorry but this is off topic, I just needed some forum to post this.
    > Now google asks for google account to login to groups but I had a
    > login before which made use of my yahoo mail id. Is there someway to
    > link that to this or are all my posts and newsgroup memberships lost
    > due to this change? Any info appreciated.

    Read about and use Usenet. Sign up to a Usenet server if your ISP
    doesn't provide any, there are free servers and paid servers out
    there. Install a Usenet client (like Outlook Express, FreeAgent,
    or Mozilla Thunderbird) and use it.

    Google about Usenet. That's THE way to access newsgroups. Ignore
    Google - it's only good for searching.

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 6, 2008

  3. James Kanze Guest

    On Mar 6, 4:41 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Sorry but this is off topic, I just needed some forum to post this.
    > > Now google asks for google account to login to groups but I had a
    > > login before which made use of my yahoo mail id. Is there someway to
    > > link that to this or are all my posts and newsgroup memberships lost
    > > due to this change? Any info appreciated.

    > Read about and use Usenet. Sign up to a Usenet server if your
    > ISP doesn't provide any, there are free servers and paid
    > servers out there. Install a Usenet client (like Outlook
    > Express, FreeAgent, or Mozilla Thunderbird) and use it.

    > Google about Usenet. That's THE way to access newsgroups.
    > Ignore Google - it's only good for searching.

    Or when you have to access the groups from behind a firewall
    which blocks NNTP. (Why a firewall would block NNTP is a
    mystery to me, but it seems fairly widespread.)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:

    James Kanze, Mar 7, 2008
  4. Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <ff6859fc-ee89-4d68-ae1e-7419d7ad0870
    @p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, says...

    [ ... ]

    > (Why a firewall would block NNTP is a
    > mystery to me, but it seems fairly widespread.)

    Because with your average firewall, it's easier to block NNTP as a whole
    than to block comp.binaries.[porn of various sorts]...

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Mar 9, 2008
  5. Jerry Coffin wrote:
    > In article <ff6859fc-ee89-4d68-ae1e-7419d7ad0870
    > @p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    >> (Why a firewall would block NNTP is a
    >> mystery to me, but it seems fairly widespread.)

    > Because with your average firewall, it's easier to block NNTP as a
    > whole than to block comp.binaries.[porn of various sorts]...

    I am sure you mean 'alt.binaries', not 'comp'.

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 10, 2008
  6. Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <fr3cid$qv$>,
    says...

    [ ... ]

    > I am sure you mean 'alt.binaries', not 'comp'.

    Why no -- didn't you see those pictures of the naked processors? :)

    Well, okay, you're right...

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.