    What am I overlooking here?

    http://www.geocities.com/techfiddle/feeds.html

    Thanks!

    Perth, Aug 18, 2006

  2. Perth

    rfr Guest

    It would help you to validate your HTML code. Use GOOGLE to find the WC3
    HTML vaslidator. The problem you are having may be with the none standard
    code. For instance there is no </head> to end the <head>, and you are
    the header section. My best guess is that you have your <hr> rule WITHIN a
    div that is limiting its width . . .you can have the <hr> be 100% of the
    div, but if the div isnt 100% of the document, then the <hr> wil be
    constrained to whatever wiodth the <div> is.

    rfr, Aug 18, 2006

  3. Perth

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Perth wrote:

    [layout problems]
    > What am I overlooking here?

    > http://www.geocities.com

    This bit is wrong. Just don't host on geocities.

    Geocities splurge a chunk of JavaaScript at the top of each page,
    making it impossible to put a doctype in the proper place. This means
    that all pages are invalid and likely to be rendered in quirks mode. As
    you've now lost one or two of the basic ground rules of trying to
    deliver well-designed pages, you're doomed before you even start.

    Andy Dingley, Aug 18, 2006
  4. Perth

    Perth Guest

    rfr wrote:
    > It would help you to validate your HTML code. Use GOOGLE to find the WC3
    > HTML vaslidator. The problem you are having may be with the none standard
    > code. For instance there is no </head> to end the <head>, and you are
    > the header section. My best guess is that you have your <hr> rule WITHIN a
    > div that is limiting its width . . .you can have the <hr> be 100% of the
    > div, but if the div isnt 100% of the document, then the <hr> wil be
    > constrained to whatever wiodth the <div> is.

    Thank you for your response. I added the omitted </head>, but I have
    looked at the </div> in all its instances, and it doesn't seem to be
    amiss. I really have looked at this. Still don't know what's wrong.
    I have not had this problem on the 300 or so other pages in which I
    have used this code in identical fashion.

    Perth, Aug 18, 2006
  5. Perth

    Perth Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > Perth wrote:
    >
    > [layout problems]
    > > What am I overlooking here?

    > > http://www.geocities.com

    > This bit is wrong. Just don't host on geocities.
    >

    > Geocities splurge a chunk of JavaaScript at the top of each page,
    > making it impossible to put a doctype in the proper place. This means
    > that all pages are invalid and likely to be rendered in quirks mode. As
    > you've now lost one or two of the basic ground rules of trying to
    > deliver well-designed pages, you're doomed before you even start.

    So it's just a GC quirk? I think you're probably right. I'm gong to
    move it all at some point to a different server and add Google ads, but
    not yet.

    Thanks for looking!

    Oh -- any recommendations for a new server??

    Perth, Aug 18, 2006
  6. Perth <> scripsit:

    > Good morning:

    Hello down there. It's 7 PM here.

    > - - I am unable to make the
    > horizontal rule - - stretch all the way across 100%.

    I wonder what you mean by stretching all the way across 100%. In <hr>, the
    _default_ is width="100%", i.e. the entire available width. But maybe you
    want more than everything? :)

    The point is that the <body> element tends to have some default margin or
    padding, since texts would look uncomfortable if they started at the very
    border of the canvas.

    You can use
    body { margin: 0; padding: 0; }
    and then a <hr> will extend across the entire canvas. However, then you
    should probably take care of putting your content inside a container that
    has some padding or margin, e.g.

    content proper here
    <hr>
    more content

    with, say,
    ..content { padding: 0.3em 0.5em 0.3em 1em; }

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 18, 2006
  7. Perth

    rfr Guest

    What I sometimes do in situations like this is to employ a brute force
    method.

    I take the document apart and save each part, then put it back together
    again, piece by piece until I find what it is that is triggering the
    problem.

    In your case, you might try taking pieces OUT, piece by piece.

    I also should mention that you have a lot of code there that is
    non-standard. Some coding is there BEFORE the <HTML> and some is there AFTER
    the </HTML>. And you are trying to load an external CSS file within the BODY
    section of your code. It is these features that led me to mention that you
    validate your HTML. The problem triggering the malfuntion of the <HR> may
    be caused by other malfuntioning HTML.

    I sometimes find that a problem that is occuring in a specific area of a
    document is being caused by some error "upstream", earlier in the document.
    Look "upstream".

    Your plea for help was felt here. I am not an HTML or CSS guru by any means.
    I am as frustrated as you are over these quirks. I have a few of these going
    on now too, mostly cross-browser issues. These tips on what I would do are
    all I can do for you.

    rfr, Aug 18, 2006
  8. rfr <> scripsit:

    > What I sometimes do in situations like this is to employ a brute force
    > method.

    Thank you for the usual clueless indicator of starting without quoting or
    paraphrasing the part of a message you are responding to. The style called
    "upside-down fullquoting" or "TOFU" (Text Oben, Fullquote Unten) is very
    useful for telling that you didn't comprehensively read the message you
    respond to and that you are giving wrong answers or answering wrong
    questions.

    > In your case, you might try taking pieces OUT, piece by piece.

    Actually, in both HTML authoring and in programming, the effective method is
    to start from something simple and robust and then put additional things IN,
    until some problem emerges and you can kill it softly.

    > The problem triggering the malfuntion of the <HR>

    What malfunction?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 19, 2006
  9. Perth

    David Segall Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    >> In your case, you might try taking pieces OUT, piece by piece.

    >Actually, in both HTML authoring and in programming, the effective method is
    >to start from something simple and robust and then put additional things IN,
    >until some problem emerges and you can kill it softly.

    It may be "effective" but it is extraordinarily inefficient. In most
    cases a binary search will reveal the problem with the minimum of
    effort. With a piece of electronic apparatus, a computer program or a
    web page if you can repeatedly discover which half contains the
    problem you can kill it quickly.

    David Segall, Aug 19, 2006
  10. Perth

    dorayme Guest

    In article <TLyFg.6757$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > Actually, in both HTML authoring and in programming, the effective method is
    > to start from something simple and robust and then put additional things IN,
    > until some problem emerges and you can kill it softly.

    Or brutally, considering how the factor will stand out starkly
    and invite a repugnance.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 19, 2006