problem with installation of rubygems-0.8.11

pirveli

Hi!
I have been searching for few days by now, but can't find answer for my
problem.
I want to install RubyOnRails as an unpriviliged user.
First I installed ruby (without 'make install', because I don't have
permissions).

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21) [i686-linux]

I exported path to ruby installation directory and to lib directory
inside it. I downloaded rubygems-0.8.11.tgz and unpacked it.
Next I tried:

$ ruby setup.rb
setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)
from setup.rb:52

And now I don't know what to do. I tried to find answer in docs on
http://documentation.rubyonrails.com/ and few more pages but couldn't
find anything.
Could you give me a link to solution or just explain me what should I
do?

best regards
pirveli

Eric Hodel

Hi!
I have been searching for few days by now, but can't find answer for my
problem.
I want to install RubyOnRails as an unpriviliged user.
First I installed ruby (without 'make install', because I don't have
permissions).

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21) [i686-linux]

I exported path to ruby installation directory and to lib directory
inside it. I downloaded rubygems-0.8.11.tgz and unpacked it.
Next I tried:

$ ruby setup.rb
setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)
from setup.rb:52

You need to install ruby. There are arguments to configure that will
allow you to specify an alternate installation directory

pirveli

I've already installed ruby and it's working. Or I just don't
understand why should I do it again...

regards
pirveli

Eric Hodel

I've already installed ruby and it's working. Or I just don't
understand why should I do it again...

It is very hard to answer your questions if you don't quote replies.

Ruby may appear to work, but if you cannot install gems obviously you
do not have a working ruby.
Hi!
I have been searching for few days by now, but can't find answer for
my
problem.
I want to install RubyOnRails as an unpriviliged user.
First I installed ruby (without 'make install', because I don't have
permissions).

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21) [i686-linux]

I exported path to ruby installation directory and to lib directory
inside it. I downloaded rubygems-0.8.11.tgz and unpacked it.
Next I tried:

$ ruby setup.rb
setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)
from setup.rb:52

If this does not work, ruby is not installed and ruby does not work no
matter what other ruby programs you can run.
You need to install ruby. There are arguments to configure that will
allow you to specify an alternate installation directory

rbconfig.rb is installed by ruby. Without running make install you do
not have a working copy of ruby. Gems requires nothing more than a
working ruby installation. If you cannot install gems you do not have
a working ruby.