problem with installation of rubygems-0.8.11

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by pirveli, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. pirveli

    pirveli Guest

    Hi!
    I have been searching for few days by now, but can't find answer for my
    problem.
    I want to install RubyOnRails as an unpriviliged user.
    First I installed ruby (without 'make install', because I don't have
    permissions).

    $ ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21) [i686-linux]

    I exported path to ruby installation directory and to lib directory
    inside it. I downloaded rubygems-0.8.11.tgz and unpacked it.
    Next I tried:

    $ ruby setup.rb
    setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)
    from setup.rb:52

    And now I don't know what to do. I tried to find answer in docs on
    http://documentation.rubyonrails.com/ and few more pages but couldn't
    find anything.
    Could you give me a link to solution or just explain me what should I
    do?

    best regards
    pirveli
    pirveli, Oct 11, 2005

  2. pirveli

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Oct 11, 2005, at 9:16 AM, pirveli wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I have been searching for few days by now, but can't find answer for my
    > problem.
    > I want to install RubyOnRails as an unpriviliged user.
    > First I installed ruby (without 'make install', because I don't have
    > permissions).
    >
    > $ ruby -v
    > ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21) [i686-linux]
    >
    > I exported path to ruby installation directory and to lib directory
    > inside it. I downloaded rubygems-0.8.11.tgz and unpacked it.
    > Next I tried:
    >
    > $ ruby setup.rb
    > setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)
    > from setup.rb:52

    You need to install ruby. There are arguments to configure that will
    allow you to specify an alternate installation directory
    Eric Hodel, Oct 11, 2005

  3. pirveli

    pirveli Guest

    I've already installed ruby and it's working. Or I just don't
    understand why should I do it again...

    regards
    pirveli
    pirveli, Oct 12, 2005
  4. pirveli

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Oct 12, 2005, at 2:21 AM, pirveli wrote:

    > I've already installed ruby and it's working. Or I just don't
    > understand why should I do it again...

    It is very hard to answer your questions if you don't quote replies.

    Ruby may appear to work, but if you cannot install gems obviously you
    do not have a working ruby.

    > On Oct 11, 2005, at 9:16 AM, pirveli wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >> I have been searching for few days by now, but can't find answer for
    >> my
    >> problem.
    >> I want to install RubyOnRails as an unpriviliged user.
    >> First I installed ruby (without 'make install', because I don't have
    >> permissions).
    >>
    >> $ ruby -v
    >> ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21) [i686-linux]
    >>
    >> I exported path to ruby installation directory and to lib directory
    >> inside it. I downloaded rubygems-0.8.11.tgz and unpacked it.
    >> Next I tried:
    >>
    >> $ ruby setup.rb
    >> setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)
    >> from setup.rb:52

    If this does not work, ruby is not installed and ruby does not work no
    matter what other ruby programs you can run.

    > You need to install ruby. There are arguments to configure that will
    > allow you to specify an alternate installation directory

    rbconfig.rb is installed by ruby. Without running make install you do
    not have a working copy of ruby. Gems requires nothing more than a
    working ruby installation. If you cannot install gems you do not have
    a working ruby.
    Eric Hodel, Oct 12, 2005