Problem with installing gems via rubygems.

dizz

Hey I am having a problem installing rails on my ubuntu machine. I
cannot install any gems and keep on getting the following error.

ERROR: Error installing rails:
invalid gem format for /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/
activerecord-2.0.2.gem

I have tried updating rubygems, manually installing rubygems (not
using synaptic) and still cannot get ruby gems to work.

It would be great if anybody could give me a hand.

Thanks

Eric Hodel

Hey I am having a problem installing rails on my ubuntu machine. I
cannot install any gems and keep on getting the following error.

ERROR: Error installing rails:
invalid gem format for /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/
activerecord-2.0.2.gem

I have tried updating rubygems, manually installing rubygems (not
using synaptic) and still cannot get ruby gems to work.

It would be great if anybody could give me a hand.

Try deleting that file.

Romulo Ceccon

Hi.
Hey I am having a problem installing rails on my ubuntu machine. I
cannot install any gems and keep on getting the following error.

ERROR: Error installing rails:
invalid gem format for /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/
activerecord-2.0.2.gem

I have tried updating rubygems, manually installing rubygems (not
using synaptic) and still cannot get ruby gems to work.

It would be great if anybody could give me a hand.

Since one of the latest Rails versions I have had the same problem on my
Windows box (actually that happens only when trying to install a second
rails version on the same machine). I do the following to workaround it:

1. Manually download the Rails gem at
https://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=307
2. Unpack it with `gem unpack rails-X.X.X.gem`
3. Search the Rakefile file inside the unpacked dir for lines that start
with s.add_dependency
4. Manually download all the dependencies at rubyforge (each one has its
own project)
5. Install each one with `gem install xxx.gem`. For Rails 2.0.1 the
appropriate order is: activesupport, actionpack, actionmailer,
activerecord, actionresource, rake, rails.

And whenever you have an issue with gem, trying updating it first: `gem
update --system`. That usually solves many problems.

Regards,
Romulo A. Ceccon

Daniel Brumbaugh Keeney

And whenever you have an issue with gem, trying updating it first: `gem
update --system`. That usually solves many problems.

Regards,
Romulo A. Ceccon

Only do gem update --system if you didn't install rubygems via the
deb package. If you installed it with a .deb package (eg. with
syntaptic), doing so will break rubygems.

Daniel Brumbaugh Keeney