Problem with IRB and some sample code...

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Unnsse Khan, Oct 13, 2005.

  1. Unnsse Khan

    Unnsse Khan Guest

    :) Hello again,

    I am a Ruby newbie... I am using the following version on Mac OS X
    Tiger:

    Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ ruby --version
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
    Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ which ruby
    /usr/bin/ruby

    I am experiencing several problems....

    1. My irb doesn't support tab completion (the same version of Ruby
    on WinXP does support tab completion)...

    For example:

    Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ irb
    irb(main):001:0> a = "Hello Ruby Group"
    => "Hello Ruby Group"
    irb(main):002:0> a.rev

    When I click on the tab key right after rev, it doesn't complete it by
    printing out the remaining characters belonging to the word 'reverse'.

    Is there a way to check and see if this functionality is turned on
    for irb?

    2. How do I use similar functionality in irb to clear the buffer, as
    one would
    do in Unix using "clear" and WinXP, using "cls"?

    3. I copied a simple Draw coding sample and when I tried to run it,
    I got an error...

    The code for Draw.rb:

    Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ cat Draw.rb
    #!/usr/bin/ruby -w

    require 'tk'

    class Draw

    def initialize(parent)
    @canvas = TkCanvas.new(parent)
    @canvas.pack
    @start_x = @start_y = 0
    @canvas.bind("1", lambda {|e| do_press(e.x, e.y)})
    @canvas.bind("B1-Motion", lambda {|x, y| do_motion
    (x,y)}, "%x %y")
    @canvas.bind("Button-Release-1", lambda {|x, y|
    do_release(x,y)}, "%x %y")
    end

    def do_press(x,y)
    @start_x = x
    @start_y = y
    @current_line = TkcLine.new(@canvas, x, y, x,y)
    end

    def do_motion(x,y)
    if @current_line
    @current_line.coords @start_x, @start_y, x, y
    end
    end

    def do_release(x,y)
    if @current_line
    @current_line.coords @start_x, @start_y, x, y
    @current_line.fill 'black'
    @current_line = nil
    end
    end

    end

    root = TkRoot.new { title 'Canvas' }
    Draw.new(root)
    Tk.mainloop

    The error message:

    Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ ./Draw.rb
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1496:in `_invoke_without_enc': bad event type
    or keysym "Release" (RuntimeError)
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1496:in `_ip_invoke_core'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1532:in `_tk_call_core'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1560:in `tk_call_without_enc'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:831:in `_bind_core'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:839:in `_bind'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:921:in `bind'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:2139:in `bind'
    from ./Draw.rb:13:in `initialize'
    from ./Draw.rb:39:in `new'
    from ./Draw.rb:39

    4. What is the *BEST* free Ruby IDE in the world?

    Thank you for your time and I hope who ever can help me can try to
    duplicate this problem using
    OS X Tiger and the same version of Ruby as me.

    Many, many thanks!

    -Unnsse
    Unnsse Khan, Oct 13, 2005

  2. On Oct 13, 2005, at 2:01 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

    > :) Hello again,

    Hello.

    > I am a Ruby newbie... I am using the following version on Mac OS X
    > Tiger:
    >
    > Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ ruby --version
    > ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
    > Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ which ruby
    > /usr/bin/ruby

    This is Apple's default install, it looks like. There are a few
    issues with it, so I prefer to build my own version of Ruby.

    > I am experiencing several problems....
    >
    > 1. My irb doesn't support tab completion (the same version of Ruby
    > on WinXP does support tab completion)...

    I believe this is one of the issues with Apple's install. If you
    build the readline library, then build your own copy of Ruby, you
    should be able to get this going.

    > 2. How do I use similar functionality in irb to clear the buffer,
    > as one would
    > do in Unix using "clear" and WinXP, using "cls"?

    Try pushing Control-L.

    > 3. I copied a simple Draw coding sample and when I tried to run it,
    > I got an error...
    >
    > The code for Draw.rb:

    [snip code]

    I assume this is a TK issue, but I'll let someone who knows more than
    me address it...

    > 4. What is the *BEST* free Ruby IDE in the world?

    I'm a text editor fan, not an IDE guy, so I'll let someone else field
    this question too...

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Unnsse Khan

    Unnsse Khan Guest

    Thanks James,

    I would I "un-install" the Mac OS X Ruby and install the new one
    (ruby 1.8.3)?

    Could I use the RubyGem utility? Or do I login as root and just
    download the tar.gz file and unzip
    it and then do a configure and then make install? Would this
    overwrite the ruby 1.8.2 that I have?

    The same questions apply to tcl/tk...

    Regards,

    Unnsse

    Unnsse Khan, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Unnsse Khan

    Unnsse Khan Guest

    Clear IRB's buffer (similar to clear on Unix and cls on Dos)?

    Hello James,

    The Control L doesn't doesn't clear the buffer....

    All it does is place a ^L on the corresponding line:

    Raven:~ untz$ irb
    irb(main):001:0> ^L
    irb(main):002:0*

    Does anyone know how to clear the irb's buffer?

    Unnsse Khan, Oct 13, 2005
  5. On Oct 13, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

    > Thanks James,
    >
    > I would I "un-install" the Mac OS X Ruby and install the new one
    > (ruby 1.8.3)?

    No, it's best not to muck with Apple's install. Better to install
    your own in /usr/local/, and then adjust your PATH to check there
    first. This is the default install location when you build Ruby.

    > Or do I login as root and just download the tar.gz file and unzip
    > it and then do a configure and then make install?

    That's the ticket.

    > Would this overwrite the ruby 1.8.2 that I have?

    No.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Oct 13, 2005
  6. Re: Clear IRB's buffer (similar to clear on Unix and cls on Dos)?

    On Oct 13, 2005, at 9:13 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

    > Hello James,
    >
    > The Control L doesn't doesn't clear the buffer....

    I tested it and it does work for me. This might be another readline
    issue...

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Oct 13, 2005
  7. Unnsse-
    Here is an easy way to fix the OSX default install of ruby. This
    will fix the irb completion by installing readline and it will
    install rubygems for you. Just run this command from the terminal:

    $ sudo curl -O rufy.com/fix-ruby-tiger.sh; sh fix-ruby-tiger.sh

    Hope that helps-
    -Ezra

    -Ezra Zygmuntowicz
    Yakima Herald-Republic
    WebMaster
    http://yakimaherald.com
    509-577-7732
    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Oct 13, 2005
  8. Unnsse Khan

    Unnsse Khan Guest

    Ezra,

    I already have RubyGems installed....

    Should I still do this?

    Regards,

    Unnsse

    Unnsse Khan, Oct 13, 2005
  9. Yes I would still do this. Apple ships a broken version of ruby and
    this totally fixes it. I have done it on over 10 installs of Tiger.
    It will go ahead and just write over your rubygems install and worst
    case scenario you might need to reinstall any gems you already
    installed. But thats a small price to pay for having a ruby binary
    that has readline support and can properly build C extensions.

    HTH-
    -Ezra

    -Ezra Zygmuntowicz
    Yakima Herald-Republic
    WebMaster
    http://yakimaherald.com
    509-577-7732
    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Oct 13, 2005
  10. Unnsse Khan

    Unnsse Khan Guest

    Ezra,

    Your suggestion not only did not help me with fixing the IRB tab
    completion (its still broken), but it broke a bunch of other
    things.... :'(

    When I try to run rake:

    Raven:~ untz$ rake
    /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:74:in
    `load_specification': undefined method `cert_chain=' for
    #<Gem::Specification:0x22ae2c> (NoMethodError)
    from (eval):1:in `initialize'
    from (eval):1:in `new'
    from (eval):1:in `load_specification'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
    45:in `eval'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
    74:in `load_specification'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
    45:in `from_installed_gems'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
    44:in `each'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
    44:in `from_installed_gems'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
    63:in `from_installed_gems'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:79:in
    `source_index'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:135:in `activate'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:37:in
    `require_gem_with_options'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:31:in
    `require_gem'
    from /usr/bin/rake:17
    Raven:~ untz$

    When I try to get rake or rails using RubyGems:

    Raven:~ untz$ gem install --remote rake
    Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
    undefined method `cert_chain=' for #<Gem::Specification:0x712524>
    Raven:~ untz$ gem install --remote rails
    Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
    undefined method `cert_chain=' for #<Gem::Specification:0x712524>

    And, when I try to see what ruby is installed + the version:

    Raven:~ untz$ ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
    Raven:~ untz$ which ruby
    /usr/bin/ruby

    Thanks for your help, but I wish I never tried it....

    Can anyone help me at all? :(

    Many, many, thanks!

    -Unnsse

    >>> http://yakimaherald.com

    Unnsse Khan, Oct 13, 2005
  11. >>> Unnsse-

    Please try one more thing before you give up. Set up a sylink from /=20
    usr/bin/ruby to /usr/local/bin/ruby and then put /use/local/bin and /=20
    usr/local/sbin in your $PATH in front of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.
    Here is the blog entry where the shell script I had you run =20
    initiated: http://tech.rufy.com/entry/46 . I know many people who =20
    went this route to fix Tiger's ruby setup. If this does not work for =20=

    you then you can always install ruby from source. If that is what you =20=

    need to do then you can rename Tiger's ruby binary to ruby.tiger or =20
    something and install from source. I am pasting installation =20
    instructions for the whole ruby/rails/lighttpd/fcgi/gems/mysql =20
    bindings stack.
    I am really sorry that my instructions seemed to have messed =20
    things up. I feel horrible. Please try these other suggestions and =20
    let me know when you get it fixed. If you encounter more problems I =20
    feel obligated and I would gladly install everything for you if you =20
    create a temporary ssh account for me that you can erase when the =20
    install is done.

    I hope it works for you:

    -Ezra

    Here are instructions for a source install:

    These instructions work on OSX, most linux distros and FreeBSD
    You can skip ruby if you already have a good copy. But if you only =20
    have the
    stock ruby that comes with OSX I would compile it from source and =20
    rename the
    stock OSX ruby and irb to ruby.bak and irb.bak so you don't end up using
    them on accident.
    Get Ruby1.8.2

    curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/2338/ruby-1.8.2.tar.gz
    tar xvzf ruby-*
    cd ruby-1.8.2
    /configure
    make
    make test
    sudo make install

    Get Ruby gems

    curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/3700/rubygems-0.8.10.tgz
    tar xvzf rubygems*
    cd rubygems*
    sudo ruby setup.rb

    Get Rails and a few other gems

    sudo gem install rails RedCloth search_generator =20
    salted_login_generator production_log_analyzer
    answer yes to all dependencies

    Get mysql-ruby C bindings (the pure ruby ones suck)
    This command works great on osx as well using the mysql 4.1.x =20
    installer from mysql.com
    or the serverlogistics.com mysql as well.
    curl -O http://www.tmtm.org/en/mysql/ruby/mysql-ruby-2.7.tar.gz
    tar zxvf mysql-ruby-*
    cd mysql-ruby-*
    ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config
    make
    sudo make install

    download fastcgi developers kit

    curl -O http://fastcgi.com/dist/fcgi.tar.gz
    tar xvzf fcgi-2.4.0.tar.gz
    cd fcgi*
    /configure
    make
    sudo make install

    Get the new non memory leaking ruby-fastcgi bindings

    curl -O http://sugi.nemui.org/pub/ruby/fcgi/ruby-fcgi-0.8.6.tar.gz
    tar xzvf ruby-fcgi*
    ruby install.rb config --without-ext
    ruby install.rb setup
    sudo ruby install.rb install

    We need the correct pcre .so=92s for lighttpd to work correctly

    curl -O ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/=20
    pcre-5.0.tar.gz
    tar xzvf pcre-5.0.tar.gz
    cd pcre-*
    /configure
    make
    sudo make install

    Get lighttpd
    You can install lighttpd 1.4.4 if you want. I'm still using 1.3.16 until
    the 1.4 branch settles down.
    curl -O http://www.lighttpd.net/download/lighttpd-1.3.16.tar.gz
    tar xzvf lighttpd-1.3.13.tar.gz
    cd lighttpd-*
    /configure
    make
    sudo make install

    Compile php as a fast-cgi binary The main thing here is the following =20=

    configure options. You can add whatever else you like to your php =20
    binary but these are needed for fast-cgi support.

    $ ./configure \
    --enable-fastcgi \
    --enable-discard-path \
    --enable-force-cgi-redirect \

    Lighttpd Launcher Script

    Here is a link for a sweet enhancement. Put this script in your =20
    RAILS_ROOT/script folder and put the lighttpd.conf file in RAILS_ROOT/=20=

    config. Now you can launch your rails app by cd=92ing into your =20
    RAILS_ROOT for your app and typing:
    $ruby script/lighty -p 7500 -e development (or whatever port & env =20
    you want to use)

    Now you can hit http://localhost:7500/ and you will get your app =20
    running on lighttpd no muss no fuss. Very sweet for development. Here =20=

    is the link: http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/posts/show/303 . Name =20
    the first ruby script lighty and name the config file lighttpd.conf. =20
    Now every time you start your app this way is creates a new =20
    lighttpd.conf in /tmp and starts lighttpd up with that file. This way =20=

    you can give it command line options as to what port to bind to and =20
    others. I=92m using this for development and it is sweet!

    -Ezra Zygmuntowicz
    Yakima Herald-Republic
    WebMaster
    http://yakimaherald.com
    509-577-7732
    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Oct 13, 2005
  12. Unnsse Khan

    Unnsse Khan Guest

    Ezra,

    Why can't I just re-install Ruby so its overwrites the one (which is =20
    pre-installed with OS X Tiger) which is located in /usr/bin/ruby?

    I don't want to put the new one in my /usr/local/bin/ directory....

    Can you please send me step by step instructions that are denoted in =20
    numeric sequence?

    For example:

    1. Grab ruby bundle from URL.

    2. unzip and run the following commands..

    I am too scared to follow your advice because your advice really =20
    screwed a lot of things up...

    I am disappointed that not that many other people on this mailing =20
    list use OS X Tiger.... Only 2 - 3 people have responded to my inquiry.

    Martin Fowler wrote how RubyPeople (http://www.martinfowler.com/bliki/=20=

    RubyPeople.html) are a great community, and from the e-mails, that =20
    I've been getting from this newsgroup, it seems like the majority of =20
    the community are hard core Linux users.....

    Kindest regards,

    Unnsse

    >>> http://yakimaherald.com

    Unnsse Khan, Oct 13, 2005
  13. OK here is a numbered list of steps to reinstall ruby from source =20
    over your old ruby install at /usr/bin/ruby.

    1. Get Ruby1.8.2
    curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/2338/ruby-1.8.2.tar.gz

    2 untar it and cd into the source directory
    tar xvzf ruby-*
    cd ruby-1.8.2

    3. configure the makefiles. and tell it to install in /usr/bin
    /configure --prefix=3D/usr

    4. compile the source
    make

    5. test the compiled source for errors
    make test

    6. install the newly built binaries if no errors in the tests
    sudo make install

    Now lets install rubygems from source:

    1. Get rubygems
    curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/3700/rubygems-0.8.10.tgz

    2. untar and cd into source directory
    tar xvzf rubygems*
    cd rubygems*

    3. set up and install rubygems
    sudo ruby setup.rb all --prefix=3D/usr

    Now ruby and ruby gems should be installed. try to install a gem and =20
    let me know when it worked.

    Also I think you will find that a bunch of ruby folk use OSX. But the =20=

    yearly rubyconf is starting tomorrow so many of them are not lurking =20
    on the list today. Also have you tried the rails list? There are a =20
    ton of OSX users on that list. Also I think that most people on ruby-=20
    talk have answered the rails questions so many times that you will =20
    have much better response for rails questions on the rails list: =20
    http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo.

    Let me know when this works for you and if you need any more help.

    -Ezra

    On Oct 13, 2005, at 3:58 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

> [...]

    >> and it is sweet!
    >>
    >> On Oct 13, 2005, at 3:11 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:
    >>

    >>> Ezra,
    >>>
    >>> Your suggestion not only did not help me with fixing the IRB tab =20
    >>> completion (its still broken), but it broke a bunch of other =20
    >>> things.... :'(
    >>>
    >>> When I try to run rake:
    >>>
    >>> Raven:~ untz$ rake
    >>> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:74:in =20
    >>> `load_specification': undefined method `cert_chain=3D' for =20
    >>> #<Gem::Specification:0x22ae2c> (NoMethodError)
    >>> from (eval):1:in `initialize'
    >>> from (eval):1:in `new'
    >>> from (eval):1:in `load_specification'
    >>> from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20=

    >>> 45:in `eval'
    >>> from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20=

    >>> 74:in `load_specification'
    >>> from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20=

    >>> 45:in `from_installed_gems'
    >>> from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20=

    >>> 44:in `each'
    >>> from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20=

    >>> 44:in `from_installed_gems'

    -Ezra Zygmuntowicz
    Yakima Herald-Republic
    WebMaster
    http://yakimaherald.com
    509-577-7732
    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Oct 14, 2005
  14. Unnsse Khan

    Unnsse Khan Guest

    Ezra,

    I followed your instructions, word for word...

    2 things:

    1. The IRB tab completion still isn't working (maybe its not meant to =20=

    be on OS X)

    2. When I tried invoking gem, this is what happened:

    Last login: Thu Oct 13 16:33:54 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    Raven:~ untz$ gem
    /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in =20
    `require__': No such file to load -- syck (LoadError)
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
    21:in `require'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml/syck.rb:5
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
    21:in `require__'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
    21:in `require'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:9
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
    21:in `require__'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
    21:in `require'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/package.rb:6
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
    21:in `require__'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
    21:in `require'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/builder.rb:1
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
    21:in `require__'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
    21:in `require'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:61:in =20
    `manage_gems'
    from /usr/bin/gem:4
    Raven:~ untz$

    The IRB tab completion was a nice feature that I am missing out on, =20
    but what's sad is that a crucial tool such as RubyGems is broken...

    Thanks for your advice... Too bad, that I have this bad luck. I =20
    really can't believe that no one else knows the solution to this =20
    problem... Well, I guess I'll continue Java development, instead of =20
    learning this language which supposedly has a "great community"...

    Many, many thanks!

    -Unnsse

    >>> http://yakimaherald.com

    Unnsse Khan, Oct 14, 2005
  15. Unnsse Khan

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    On 10/13/05, Unnsse Khan <> wrote:
    > Ezra,
    >
    > I followed your instructions, word for word...
    >
    > 2 things:
    >
    > 1. The IRB tab completion still isn't working (maybe its not meant to
    > be on OS X)
    >
    > 2. When I tried invoking gem, this is what happened:
    >
    > Last login: Thu Oct 13 16:33:54 on ttyp1
    > Welcome to Darwin!
    > Raven:~ untz$ gem
    > /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
    > `require__': No such file to load -- syck (LoadError)
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
    > 21:in `require'
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml/syck.rb:5
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
    > 21:in `require__'
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
    > 21:in `require'
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:9
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
    > 21:in `require__'
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
    > 21:in `require'
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/package.rb:6
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
    > 21:in `require__'
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
    > 21:in `require'
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/builder.rb:1
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
    > 21:in `require__'
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
    > 21:in `require'
    > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:61:in
    > `manage_gems'
    > from /usr/bin/gem:4
    > Raven:~ untz$
    >
    > The IRB tab completion was a nice feature that I am missing out on,
    > but what's sad is that a crucial tool such as RubyGems is broken...
    >
    > Thanks for your advice... Too bad, that I have this bad luck. I
    > really can't believe that no one else knows the solution to this
    > problem... Well, I guess I'll continue Java development, instead of
    > learning this language which supposedly has a "great community"...

    Haven't followed this thread, but Apple has a broken Ruby.

    Get the Ruby source, compile it yourself, install it into /usr/local,
    and be happy with Ruby on OS X.

    tar zxf ruby-1.8.2.tar.gz
    cd ruby-1.8.2
    /configure --prefix=3D/usr/local
    make
    sudo make install

    And adjust your path so that /usr/local/bin is before /usr/bin.
    Joe Van Dyk, Oct 14, 2005
  16. Unnsse Khan

    Unnsse Khan Guest

    Dear Joe Van Dyk:

    I followed Ezra's instructions and grabbed the source, compiled it,
    and placed
    it in /usr/, not "/usr/local/" and therefore, I don't see what the
    difference is?

    The only difference is the location of directories....

    These that I followed are (from Ezra) are:

    1. Get Ruby1.8.2
    curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/2338/ruby-1.8.2.tar.gz

    2 untar it and cd into the source directory
    tar xvzf ruby-*
    cd ruby-1.8.2

    3. configure the makefiles. and tell it to install in /usr/bin
    /configure --prefix=/usr

    4. compile the source
    make

    5. test the compiled source for errors
    make test

    6. install the newly built binaries if no errors in the tests
    sudo make install

    Ezra's instructions didn't fix my "tab completion" problem on IRB,
    and did
    break my RubyGems install...... I really thought that one could fix
    their Ruby distribution
    by using RubyGems... RubyGems are very important so please someone,
    could anyone help me?

    Kindest regards,

    Unnsse

    Unnsse Khan, Oct 14, 2005