Problem with Java application on Windows

tox

I downloaded and installed "Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition 1.4.2_06"
(j2sdk-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe) on my PC which has Windows XP. I
then downloaded a Java application that processes telemetry data. The
installation required creating a directory on C: and unzipping the
installation file there. This resulted in a number of batch files and
other files and directories. When I tried to run any of the batch
files, a monitor pops up for less than a second and then dies without
anything happening. Normally, the monitor should come up with a status
message.

I am wondering if I need to edit the batch file "class path" in the
batch files or if maybe I have done something else wrong in the
installation of either Java or the application itself? From looking at
the content of one of the batch files, the path /stps/stps.jar makes no
reference to the C: drive. I created the /stps directory on the C:
drive and unzipped the application there. The stps.jar, stps.policy and
/config are some of the files and folders created from the
installation. I wonder if the batch files would run if C: is included
in the path name? I am not very familiar with Java and would appreciate
help with this please. Below is the content of one of the batch files
for reference. Thanks. Sincerely,

tox.

java -server -cp /stps/stps.jar
-Djava.rmi.server.codebase=file:/stps/stps.jar
-Djava.security.policy=file:/stps/stps.policy -Dport=4935
-DbufferSizeKb=16 -Dsetup=/stps/config -Droot=file://localhost/stps/
nasa.stps.server.TcpServer
rem Other Attributes.
rem -DbufferSizeKb=8
rem -Dconfig=xmlConfigFileName
rem The single argument is the server name ("StpsServices."+name).
rem The default name is "A".