Problem with Java application on Windows

Discussion in 'Java' started by tox, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. tox

    tox Guest

    I downloaded and installed "Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition 1.4.2_06"
    (j2sdk-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe) on my PC which has Windows XP. I
    then downloaded a Java application that processes telemetry data. The
    installation required creating a directory on C: and unzipping the
    installation file there. This resulted in a number of batch files and
    other files and directories. When I tried to run any of the batch
    files, a monitor pops up for less than a second and then dies without
    anything happening. Normally, the monitor should come up with a status
    message.

    I am wondering if I need to edit the batch file "class path" in the
    batch files or if maybe I have done something else wrong in the
    installation of either Java or the application itself? From looking at
    the content of one of the batch files, the path /stps/stps.jar makes no
    reference to the C: drive. I created the /stps directory on the C:
    drive and unzipped the application there. The stps.jar, stps.policy and
    /config are some of the files and folders created from the
    installation. I wonder if the batch files would run if C: is included
    in the path name? I am not very familiar with Java and would appreciate
    help with this please. Below is the content of one of the batch files
    for reference. Thanks. Sincerely,

    tox.

    java -server -cp /stps/stps.jar
    -Djava.rmi.server.codebase=file:/stps/stps.jar
    -Djava.security.policy=file:/stps/stps.policy -Dport=4935
    -DbufferSizeKb=16 -Dsetup=/stps/config -Droot=file://localhost/stps/
    nasa.stps.server.TcpServer
    rem Other Attributes.
    rem -DbufferSizeKb=8
    rem -Dconfig=xmlConfigFileName
    rem The single argument is the server name ("StpsServices."+name).
    rem The default name is "A".

    tox, Dec 8, 2004

  2. tox

    Steve Sobol Guest

    tox wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed "Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition 1.4.2_06"
    > (j2sdk-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe) on my PC which has Windows XP. I
    > then downloaded a Java application that processes telemetry data. The
    > installation required creating a directory on C: and unzipping the
    > installation file there. This resulted in a number of batch files and
    > other files and directories. When I tried to run any of the batch
    > files, a monitor pops up for less than a second and then dies without
    > anything happening. Normally, the monitor should come up with a status
    > message.

    They very well might. Try clicking "Run" from the start menu, typing

    cmd

    to get a command prompt, and from the command prompt, change to the appropriate
    directory and run the batch file(s).

    The problem is that when the batch file closes, Windows automatically closes
    its window. So even if there are status messages you won't be able to read them
    unless you open up the command prompt window first and *then* execute the batch
    file.

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steve Sobol, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Hi, can you verify your Windows system path to see if your java binary folder is inside? On windows, right click on "my computer" and choose properties. Then go to the "Advanced" tab and click on environment variables. In the lower window, there is a variable called "Path". Make sure you have "D:\j2sdk1.4.2_06\bin" in the string.

    Also, instead of double-clicking on the batch file, you can run it from the command prompt so that you can see if there are any error messages.

    Ryan Tan via JavaKB.com, Dec 8, 2004
  4. tox

    tox Guest

    I ran the application from the command prompt and got the following
    error message:
    no `server' JVM at `C:\Program
    Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\server\jvm.dll'. So I went to look for
    jvm.dll. There was a \client\jvm.dll but no \server\jvm.dll so I made a
    copy of \client\jvm and renamed it to \server\jvm.dll. The batch files
    seemed to work fine after that.

    I had assumed that upon installation of "Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition
    1.4.2_06" (j2sdk-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe), the \server\jvm.dll
    directory would have been created but apparently not. Does this mean
    that my Java SDK installation was not thorough and will this cause me
    some problems later? Should I attempt to reinstall it or will I be fine
    for now (I mainly plan to run applications for the present and may only
    get into development much further down the line)?

    Thanks very much and I greatly appreciate your help!!! Sincerely,

    tox.

    tox, Dec 8, 2004