Problem with Java panels

Lukasz Huculak

I want to write application with few tabbed panels each with split
panel inside. Some of those split panels should share the same panel
as in code below.
//----------------//
JTabbedPane tabbed = new JTabbedPane();

JSplitPane split1 = new JSplitPane();
JSplitPane split2 = new JSplitPane();

JPanel panel1 = new JPanel()
JPanel panel2 = new JPanel();
JPanel panel3 = new JPanel();

split1.setLeftComponent(panel1);
split1.setRightComponent(panel2);

split2.setLeftComponent(panel2);
split2.setRightComponent(panel3);

tabbed.addTab("1",split1);
tabbed.addTab("2",split2);
//------------------------//

Unfortunately in split1 panel I cannot see panel2 but only panel1. In
split2 panel it all works fine. Why it doesn't work?

Christophe Vanfleteren

Lukasz said:
I want to write application with few tabbed panels each with split
panel inside. Some of those split panels should share the same panel
as in code below.
//----------------//
JTabbedPane tabbed = new JTabbedPane();

JSplitPane split1 = new JSplitPane();
JSplitPane split2 = new JSplitPane();

JPanel panel1 = new JPanel()
JPanel panel2 = new JPanel();
JPanel panel3 = new JPanel();

split1.setLeftComponent(panel1);
split1.setRightComponent(panel2);

split2.setLeftComponent(panel2);
split2.setRightComponent(panel3);

tabbed.addTab("1",split1);
tabbed.addTab("2",split2);

Unfortunately in split1 panel I cannot see panel2 but only panel1. In
split2 panel it all works fine. Why it doesn't work?

You can't add the same component (in your case panel2) to different
containers (split1 and split2) at the same time. From the moment you add
panel2 to split2, it is removed from split1.