Problem with keyboard up/down arrows in Python 2.4 interpreter

Julien

Hi,

I'm having problems when typing the up/down arrows in the Python 2.4
interpreter (exact version: Python 2.4.6 (#1, Mar 3 2011, 15:45:53)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)] on darwin).

When I press the up arrow it outputs "^[[A" and when I press the down
arrow it outputs "^[[B".

I've google it and it looks like it might be an issue with the
readline not being installed or configured properly. Is that correct?
If so, how can I fix this issue?

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Julien

Benjamin Kaplan

--

How did you install Python? If you used Macports, it looks like
readline support is a separate port for 2.4. Try installing

Julien

I'm having problems when typing the up/down arrows in the Python 2.4
interpreter (exact version: Python 2.4.6 (#1, Mar  3 2011, 15:45:53)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)] on darwin).
When I press the up arrow it outputs "^[[A" and when I press the down
arrow it outputs "^[[B".
I've google it and it looks like it might be an issue with the
readline not being installed or configured properly. Is that correct?
If so, how can I fix this issue?
Many thanks.
Kind regards,
Julien
--

How did you install Python? If you used Macports, it looks like
readline support is a separate port for 2.4. Try installing
py-readline.

Hi,

Which readline package should I install? I've tried with 'pip install
py-readline' but that package doesn't seem to exist. I've tried with
'pyreadline' (without the dash) but that didn't fix the issue.

Many thanks,

Julien

Benjamin Kaplan

[...]

As I stated above, py-readline is for if you're using Macports, which
is a package manager for Mac OS X. If you installed Python through
some other means, I'm not sure why you don't have readline installed
already, because it should be built with the rest of the Python
modules.

Ned Deily

As I stated above, py-readline is for if you're using Macports, which
is a package manager for Mac OS X.

.... in which case you probably want:

sudo port install py-readline
If you installed Python through
some other means, I'm not sure why you don't have readline installed
already, because it should be built with the rest of the Python
modules.

For releases prior to Python 2.6 and Python 3.2, to build the Python
readline module, you need to have installed a local version of the GNU
readline library, a library which is not included in Mac OS X. Starting
with Python 2.6 and with a deployment target of Mac OS X 10.5 or higher,
the Python readline module will be automatically linked with the
Apple-supplied BSD editline (libedit) library.

P.S to Julien: Python 2.4 is *really* old now and is no longer supported
by the Python developers. It probably won't build correctly on current
OS X 10.6 without some help. Python 2.7.1 and Python 3.2 are the
current releases.

Julien

... in which case you probably want:

   sudo port install py-readline

For releases prior to Python 2.6 and Python 3.2, to build the Python
readline module, you need to have installed a local version of the GNU
readline library, a library which is not included in Mac OS X.  Starting
with Python 2.6 and with a deployment target of Mac OS X 10.5 or higher,
the Python readline module will be automatically linked with the
Apple-supplied BSD editline (libedit) library.

P.S to Julien: Python 2.4 is *really* old now and is no longer supported
by the Python developers.  It probably won't build correctly on current
OS X 10.6 without some help.  Python 2.7.1 and Python 3.2 are the
current releases.

Thank you Ned and Benjamin, and sorry for the confusion :)

I did install python2.4 using Mac Ports, and as you've suggested I've
just installed py-readlines using Mac Ports as well, and it now works!

Many thanks!

Julien