problem with large hash vanishing

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Jack, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Hi,

    I have a perl v5.6.0 program, which reads a
    configuration file into a hash of hashes.
    The rest of the program does a fetch from
    an oracle database, and uses the configuration
    hash to do processing. After a number of
    successful loops the configuration hash
    vanishes, becoming undefined. I have used
    perl -d with the W command to watch the
    config hash change, but it does not get zapped
    to undefined in the debugger.

    Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong,
    and what further debugging I could try?

    The program is a bit big to post, and it belongs
    to my employer.

    Thanks, Jack
    Jack, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Jack <> wrote:

    > I have a perl v5.6.0 program, which reads a
    > configuration file into a hash of hashes.

    Depending on the format of the config file, you may be able to use a CPAN
    module to do this (if you're not already doing so).

    > The rest of the program does a fetch from
    > an oracle database, and uses the configuration
    > hash to do processing. After a number of
    > successful loops the configuration hash
    > vanishes, becoming undefined. I have used
    > perl -d with the W command to watch the
    > config hash change, but it does not get zapped
    > to undefined in the debugger.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong,

    My crystal ball says you have a bug on line 537 that is overwriting your
    hash.

    > and what further debugging I could try?

    No, because you didn't post any code.

    > The program is a bit big to post, and it belongs
    > to my employer.

    I doubt we'd want to see the entire program anyway.

    Standard advice: Break it down into a short, preferably self-contained test
    case that exhibits the problem. The process of doing so often reveals the
    problem (it usually works for me), and if not you have a snippet of code
    you can post for us to look at.

    --
    David Wall
    David K. Wall, Feb 3, 2004