Problem with lengthy process

atefshehata

hi all,

i'm using iis6 installed on win2003 , dotnet framework 1.1 .

My problem is..
a page on my application have a lengthy process which takes about 4
minutes (performing database transactions ..) to completes.

user click on the transaction button to start this lengthy process.

after about 140 seconds the client browser displays the error message
'page can't displayed ...'.

note> the transactions continues to work untill it finish !

so the client can't see the results of the executed transactions.

on iis i set connectiontimeout=900.
on code i set server.scripttimeout=900 .
on web.config. i set <httpRuntime executionTimeout="900" ...>
and the sqlcommand.commandtimeout=180.

i don't know what is wrong,why the client browser timed-out every time
?

thanks for any help .

atef

Wilco Bauwer

I see 2 solutions here:
1. Use a seperate application (for example a windows service) to
process time-consuming tasks, instead of letting the web application do
it.
2. If you do want to run it in your web app, you could use a separate
thread to run the task. You could then use a progress bar on the client
which polls the server for the progress. You can use a progress bar
like mine (see http://wilcoding.xs4all.nl/Wilco/View.aspx?NewsID=146).

Flip

a page on my application have a lengthy process which takes about 4
minutes (performing database transactions ..) to completes.
Another solution would be to have your code pop a message onto a message
queue and put an entry is some db table, you're code will immediately
return, then forward them onto a page which let's them check the status of
that table you put in the entry to. Have that page periodically refresh
like every 10s or something, then when the messag queue finished your
message, then update that row and you're done.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

atefshehata

thanks to Wilco Bauwer and Steve C. Orr

on my page , when the user click on the button i display a popup window
with animated gif and a waiting message to the user.

so the user knows he/she needs to wait.

if i use threading , i needs to re-build user interface and navigation
scenario in various situations (i'll do it if no other solution
available)

i still needs to know why the client browser disconected ?
is it IIS or Firewall or what ?

any comments will be very helpful.

thanks

atef