Problem with margins

Luigi Donatello Asero

Hello,
I do not want the <div> with pictures to touch the <div> with contents about
Sweden on the right on the page in the signature.
I tried to set some margins on the external cascading style sheet but it did
not work for some reason.
I do not want it to use "clear" either.
Any suggestion?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi said:
I do not want the <div> with pictures to touch the <div> with contents
about Sweden on the right on the page in the signature. I tried to
set some margins on the external cascading style sheet but it did not
work for some reason. I do not want it to use "clear" either.
Any suggestion?

Correct your errors.

#foto-svezia-meridionale.subsubsection {float:left;
width: 25%;
min-width: 200px;
min.height: 200px;
border: thin silver solid;
margin-top:0,5em;
margin-left:0,5em;
margin-right:2,5em;
margin-bottom:0,5em;

See all those commas instead of decimal points (or whatever you call
them in Sweden)? Change them to periods/dots.

margin-right:2.5em; gives you the margin you desire.

BTW, I wore out my mouse wheel scrolling to find what you where talking
about. Had you said "the margin at 5.B. In Svezia", it would have been
even simpler to find your error.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Hello,
I do not want the <div> with pictures to touch the <div> with contents about
Sweden on the right on the page in the signature.
I tried to set some margins on the external cascading style sheet but it did
not work for some reason.
I do not want it to use "clear" either.
Any suggestion?

Try

#posizione-geografica.subsubsubsection
{margin-left:60%;margin-right:.5em}

as a tactical solution. Then apply it to all the divs in that
col.

Seriously Luigi, this is the most complex, most convoluted css to
control a page that I have ever seen. I could not conceive of
ever remotely making anything like it because I would never be
able to maintain it. Its design appears to me to be almost wholly
tactical and not strategic. It is a recipe for a nightmare of
maintenence.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Correct your errors.

#foto-svezia-meridionale.subsubsection {float:left;
width: 25%;
min-width: 200px;
min.height: 200px;
border: thin silver solid;
margin-top:0,5em;
margin-left:0,5em;
margin-right:2,5em;
margin-bottom:0,5em;

See all those commas instead of decimal points (or whatever you call
them in Sweden)? Change them to periods/dots.

Thank you. Now it works.
margin-right:2.5em; gives you the margin you desire.

BTW, I wore out my mouse wheel scrolling to find what you where talking
about. Had you said "the margin at 5.B. In Svezia", it would have been
even simpler to find your error.

You are right.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
Seriously Luigi, this is the most complex, most convoluted css to
control a page that I have ever seen.

I have seen a few that were worse, but not by much... <lol>

I actually surprised myself by noticing the commas instead of dots.

Liugi's next mission, should he choose to accept it, is to find out what
is causing the horizontal scrollbar to appear, no matter what the
browser width is. (I do not intend to tackle that one.)

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
BTW, I wore out my mouse wheel scrolling to find what you where talking
about. Had you said "the margin at 5.B. In Svezia", it would have been
even simpler to find your error.

I transferred the CSS to BBEdit from FF to use the better Search
functions there, in conjunction with watching the "current
element" names in FF. (Not that I solved his problem in the end,
though I found "a" solution to one of the paras in that col that
might have provided OP with a clue to go on?)

It was very hard to see things in the CSS in FF (FF has this
annoying limit on the width of the "Edit CSS" col... It would be
nice to be able to widen it more. That at least is the situation
on the Mac version.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
It was very hard to see things in the CSS in FF (FF has this annoying
limit on the width of the "Edit CSS" col... It would be nice to be
able to widen it more. That at least is the situation on the Mac
version.

Are you using Chris Pederick's Web Developer Toolbar? The Edit CSS panel
is stretchable. Drag the border wider, the one next to the displayed
page.

But for Luigi's page, you probably need a wide-screen monitor. <g>

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Are you using Chris Pederick's Web Developer Toolbar? The Edit CSS panel
is stretchable. Drag the border wider, the one next to the displayed
page.

Well, yes... that is the extension I am complaining about in
respect to width. It is draggable but it reaches a miserable max
width on my Mac

But for Luigi's page, you probably need a wide-screen monitor. <g>

Well, exactly! It was so frustrating.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Well, exactly! It was so frustrating.

Are you sure that we are talkning about the same thing???
Ps.: there is already something which I do not understand in Chinese and
that is frustrating!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi said:

http://k75s.home.att.net/show/svezia.jpg

Notice the scrollbar in the left pane. That is because some of your
selectors were composed with no line feeds, like:
#informazioni-generali.subsubsection or
#arredamento-articoli-da-regalo.subsubsection
...which is 270 characters wide.

You are saving only a few bytes by not placing each attribute on a
separate line, but you make the whole sheet a troubleshooting nightmare.

[dorayme:]
It is draggable but it reaches a miserable max width on my Mac

Yes, same in any version... most of the time it's not necessary to go
wider that its maximum. Except for Luigi's, of course.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Are you sure that we are talkning about the same thing???
Ps.: there is already something which I do not understand in Chinese and
that is frustrating!

Luigi... no one is ever sure when talking to you that everyone is
talking about the same thing. I could almost be an earthling on
this basis.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
http://k75s.home.att.net/show/svezia.jpg

Notice the scrollbar in the left pane. That is because some of your
selectors were composed with no line feeds, like:
#informazioni-generali.subsubsection or
#arredamento-articoli-da-regalo.subsubsection
..which is 270 characters wide.

Sorry, I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi said:
Sorry, I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Myohmy. Look at your style sheet with word wrap turned OFF in whatever
you use to edit it. Look at the line for:
#arredamento-articoli-da-regalo.subsubsection

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Luigi... no one is ever sure when talking to you that everyone is
talking about the same thing. I could almost be an earthling on
this basis.

First of all, it is night here, quite the contrary in Australia, I guess...
Secondly while writing on the web I am also learning Chinese...
(there are some reasons for that but I want to cut a long story short)
Thirdly, I could finally look at the screen picture which he had sent the
link to and i saw that it displayed both
the CSS style sheet and the main page, that is
https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
So, when he is saying that the page is too wide, which page are we talking
about?
The page
https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html or the external style
sheet this page makes use of ?
Or perhaps both?
Why does breaking the line in the style sheet prevent the page
https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
from having scrollbars in the menu?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi said:
Thirdly, I could finally look at the screen picture which he had sent
the link to and i saw that it displayed both the CSS style sheet and
the main page, that is https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
So, when he is saying that the page is too wide, which page are we
talking about?
The page https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html or the
external style sheet this page makes use of ?

Notice your page svezia.html has a horizontal scrollbar. This is caused
by some mistake in your style sheet. Not the fact that it itself has
long lines, but because some margin is set too wide.

At the moment, your server is down.

"Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com."
Or perhaps both?

Well, that as well.
Why does breaking the line in the style sheet prevent the page
https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
from having scrollbars in the menu?

The long lines in your style sheet cause the *CSS* editing window to
have a scrollbar, as your lines are longer than the width the pane can
be widened to. Go ahead, install the Web Developer Toolbar (very worthy)
in Firefox or Mozilla or SeaMonkey and see for yourself.
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

While viewing your page, press Ctrl+Shift+E and see for yourself.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Notice your page svezia.html has a horizontal scrollbar.

Yes, it does.

This is caused
by some mistake in your style sheet. Not the fact that it itself has
long lines, but because some margin is set too wide.

At the moment, your server is down.

Well, actually, I could access the website myself.
So, why do you think that the server was down?
Did you happen to e-mail me?

"Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com."

I can enter the website.
Which ip-number did you use?

dorayme

Luigi... no one is ever sure when talking to you that everyone is
talking about the same thing. I could almost be an earthling on
this basis.

First of all, it is night here, quite the contrary in Australia, I guess...[/QUOTE]

See what I mean? Of course you don't! I say it is always hard to
know if the focus of any discussion with you is constant. You
then tell me it is night time where you are, You are an
extraordinary person Luigi. It is a constantly fascinating
experience for a martian like me to come across such an unusual
species of earthling like you.

Secondly while writing on the web I am also learning Chinese...
(there are some reasons for that but I want to cut a long story short)

And again, you exhibit a quixotic and highly interesting display
of your focussing algorithm. I have studied the code of Eliza but
you seem to have a more sophisticated sub routine here that the
traditional Eliza simply did not have. Interesting to the point
of fascination.

Thirdly, I could finally look at the screen picture which he had sent the
link to and i saw that it displayed both
the CSS style sheet and the main page, that is
https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
So, when he is saying that the page is too wide, which page are we talking
about?
The page
https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html or the external style
sheet this page makes use of ?
Or perhaps both?
Why does breaking the line in the style sheet prevent the page
https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
from having scrollbars in the menu?

I will let B answer about how to cope with returns in your CSS.
But the pic he provided was a view of the Firefox browser with an
web developer extension facility whereby the CSS of any web page
is displayed and can be altered for experimentation with the
webpage changes being seen "live" immediately the changes are
made in the CSS. Sort of magical in the sense that it is closest
to the idea of making a wish and having it fulfilled without
having to do anything else like save the changes and all that
boring old stuff.

In addition to what B says about your method of typing and layout
of the css, I do know one thing for sure. Or perhaps I should
say, my instinct is very strong: You are over-reaching Luigi in
the extraordinary complexity of your CSS.

I am now going to give you a really good argument as to why you
should change it utterly and completely. This argument would
normally appeal to the English one man business that is inside of
your soul, I have no idea if it appeals to the Italian in Sweden
one man business part of you. The argument is this:

Businesses have resale value. Ask yourself this question: who
will buy your business if they see your html and css? They will
never be able to work it all out or maintain it.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet

Yes, it does.

This is caused

Well, actually, I could access the website myself.
So, why do you think that the server was down?
Did you happen to e-mail me?

I can enter the website.
Which ip-number did you use?

So, did you mean that I should write the long lines, like that, instead?
#arredamento-articoli-da-regalo.subsubsection a
{ background-color: #cccccc;
background-image:none;
color:#000000;
display: block;