    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    昨天下åˆå¤©æ°”çœŸå¥½å— ?
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 9, 2006

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I do not want the <div> with pictures to touch the <div> with contents
    > about Sweden on the right on the page in the signature. I tried to
    > set some margins on the external cascading style sheet but it did not
    > work for some reason. I do not want it to use "clear" either.
    > Any suggestion?

    Correct your errors.

    #foto-svezia-meridionale.subsubsection {float:left;
    width: 25%;
    min-width: 200px;
    min.height: 200px;
    border: thin silver solid;
    margin-top:0,5em;
    margin-left:0,5em;
    margin-right:2,5em;
    margin-bottom:0,5em;

    See all those commas instead of decimal points (or whatever you call
    them in Sweden)? Change them to periods/dots.

    margin-right:2.5em; gives you the margin you desire.

    BTW, I wore out my mouse wheel scrolling to find what you where talking
    about. Had you said "the margin at 5.B. In Svezia", it would have been
    even simpler to find your error.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 9, 2006

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

    > Correct your errors.

    Oh, and you may as well try to find out what causes the CSS validator to
    die.

    <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com%2Fit%2Fsvezia.html>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 9, 2006
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <pPGMg.15896$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I do not want the <div> with pictures to touch the <div> with contents about
    > Sweden on the right on the page in the signature.
    > I tried to set some margins on the external cascading style sheet but it did
    > not work for some reason.
    > I do not want it to use "clear" either.
    > Any suggestion?

    Try

    #posizione-geografica.subsubsubsection
    {margin-left:60%;margin-right:.5em}

    as a tactical solution. Then apply it to all the divs in that
    col.

    Seriously Luigi, this is the most complex, most convoluted css to
    control a page that I have ever seen. I could not conceive of
    ever remotely making anything like it because I would never be
    able to maintain it. Its design appears to me to be almost wholly
    tactical and not strategic. It is a recipe for a nightmare of
    maintenence.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 9, 2006
  5. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > I do not want the <div> with pictures to touch the <div> with contents
    > > about Sweden on the right on the page in the signature. I tried to
    > > set some margins on the external cascading style sheet but it did not
    > > work for some reason. I do not want it to use "clear" either.
    > > Any suggestion?

    > Correct your errors.
    >
    > #foto-svezia-meridionale.subsubsection {float:left;
    > width: 25%;
    > min-width: 200px;
    > min.height: 200px;
    > border: thin silver solid;
    > margin-top:0,5em;
    > margin-left:0,5em;
    > margin-right:2,5em;
    > margin-bottom:0,5em;
    >
    > See all those commas instead of decimal points (or whatever you call
    > them in Sweden)? Change them to periods/dots.

    Thank you. Now it works.

    > margin-right:2.5em; gives you the margin you desire.
    >
    > BTW, I wore out my mouse wheel scrolling to find what you where talking
    > about. Had you said "the margin at 5.B. In Svezia", it would have been
    > even simpler to find your error.

    You are right.
    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    昨天下åˆå¤©æ°”çœŸå¥½å— ?
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 9, 2006
  6. dorayme wrote:

    > Seriously Luigi, this is the most complex, most convoluted css to
    > control a page that I have ever seen.

    I have seen a few that were worse, but not by much... <lol>

    I actually surprised myself by noticing the commas instead of dots.

    Liugi's next mission, should he choose to accept it, is to find out what
    is causing the horizontal scrollbar to appear, no matter what the
    browser width is. (I do not intend to tackle that one.)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 9, 2006
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <VcHMg.15403$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > BTW, I wore out my mouse wheel scrolling to find what you where talking
    > about. Had you said "the margin at 5.B. In Svezia", it would have been
    > even simpler to find your error.

    I transferred the CSS to BBEdit from FF to use the better Search
    functions there, in conjunction with watching the "current
    element" names in FF. (Not that I solved his problem in the end,
    though I found "a" solution to one of the paras in that col that
    might have provided OP with a clue to go on?)

    It was very hard to see things in the CSS in FF (FF has this
    annoying limit on the width of the "Edit CSS" col... It would be
    nice to be able to widen it more. That at least is the situation
    on the Mac version.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 9, 2006
  8. dorayme wrote:

    > It was very hard to see things in the CSS in FF (FF has this annoying
    > limit on the width of the "Edit CSS" col... It would be nice to be
    > able to widen it more. That at least is the situation on the Mac
    > version.

    Are you using Chris Pederick's Web Developer Toolbar? The Edit CSS panel
    is stretchable. Drag the border wider, the one next to the displayed
    page.

    But for Luigi's page, you probably need a wide-screen monitor. <g>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 10, 2006
  9. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > It was very hard to see things in the CSS in FF (FF has this annoying
    > > limit on the width of the "Edit CSS" col... It would be nice to be
    > > able to widen it more. That at least is the situation on the Mac
    > > version.

    > Are you using Chris Pederick's Web Developer Toolbar? The Edit CSS panel
    > is stretchable. Drag the border wider, the one next to the displayed
    > page.
    >
    > But for Luigi's page, you probably need a wide-screen monitor. <g>

    For
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html ?
    Why?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/europa/svezia/vaestra-goetaland/goeteborg.php
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 10, 2006
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <fOHMg.92102$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > It was very hard to see things in the CSS in FF (FF has this annoying
    > > limit on the width of the "Edit CSS" col... It would be nice to be
    > > able to widen it more. That at least is the situation on the Mac
    > > version.

    > Are you using Chris Pederick's Web Developer Toolbar? The Edit CSS panel
    > is stretchable. Drag the border wider, the one next to the displayed
    > page.

    Well, yes... that is the extension I am complaining about in
    respect to width. It is draggable but it reaches a miserable max
    width on my Mac

    > But for Luigi's page, you probably need a wide-screen monitor. <g>

    Well, exactly! It was so frustrating.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 10, 2006
  11. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article
    > <fOHMg.92102$>,
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >
    > > dorayme wrote:

    > > But for Luigi's page, you probably need a wide-screen monitor. <g>

    > Well, exactly! It was so frustrating.

    Are you sure that we are talkning about the same thing???
    Ps.: there is already something which I do not understand in Chinese and
    that is frustrating!

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 10, 2006
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>
    >>> It was very hard to see things in the CSS in FF (FF has this
    >>> annoying limit on the width of the "Edit CSS" col... It would be
    >>> nice to be able to widen it more. That at least is the situation on
    >>> the Mac version.

    >> Are you using Chris Pederick's Web Developer Toolbar? The Edit CSS
    >> panel is stretchable. Drag the border wider, the one next to the
    >> displayed page.
    >>
    >> But for Luigi's page, you probably need a wide-screen monitor. <g>

    > For
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html ?
    > Why?

    http://k75s.home.att.net/show/svezia.jpg

    Notice the scrollbar in the left pane. That is because some of your
    selectors were composed with no line feeds, like:
    #informazioni-generali.subsubsection or
    #arredamento-articoli-da-regalo.subsubsection
    ...which is 270 characters wide.

    You are saving only a few bytes by not placing each attribute on a
    separate line, but you make the whole sheet a troubleshooting nightmare.

    [dorayme:]
    > It is draggable but it reaches a miserable max width on my Mac

    Yes, same in any version... most of the time it's not necessary to go
    wider that its maximum. Except for Luigi's, of course.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 10, 2006
  13. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <LnIMg.15899$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > Are you sure that we are talkning about the same thing???
    > Ps.: there is already something which I do not understand in Chinese and
    > that is frustrating!

    Luigi... no one is ever sure when talking to you that everyone is
    talking about the same thing. I could almost be an earthling on
    this basis.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 10, 2006
  14. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > >> Are you using Chris Pederick's Web Developer Toolbar? The Edit CSS
    > >> panel is stretchable. Drag the border wider, the one next to the
    > >> displayed page.
    > >>
    > >> But for Luigi's page, you probably need a wide-screen monitor. <g>

    > > For
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html ?
    > > Why?

    > http://k75s.home.att.net/show/svezia.jpg
    >
    > Notice the scrollbar in the left pane. That is because some of your
    > selectors were composed with no line feeds, like:
    > #informazioni-generali.subsubsection or
    > #arredamento-articoli-da-regalo.subsubsection
    > ..which is 270 characters wide.

    Sorry, I am not sure I understand what you mean.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 10, 2006
  15. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    >>> For
    >>> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html ?
    >>> Why?

    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/show/svezia.jpg
    >>
    >> Notice the scrollbar in the left pane. That is because some of your
    >> selectors were composed with no line feeds, like:
    >> #informazioni-generali.subsubsection or
    >> #arredamento-articoli-da-regalo.subsubsection
    >> ..which is 270 characters wide.

    > Sorry, I am not sure I understand what you mean.

    Myohmy. Look at your style sheet with word wrap turned OFF in whatever
    you use to edit it. Look at the line for:

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 10, 2006
  16. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <LnIMg.15899$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Are you sure that we are talkning about the same thing???
    > > Ps.: there is already something which I do not understand in Chinese and
    > > that is frustrating!

    > Luigi... no one is ever sure when talking to you that everyone is
    > talking about the same thing. I could almost be an earthling on
    > this basis.

    First of all, it is night here, quite the contrary in Australia, I guess...
    Secondly while writing on the web I am also learning Chinese...
    (there are some reasons for that but I want to cut a long story short)
    Thirdly, I could finally look at the screen picture which he had sent the
    link to and i saw that it displayed both
    the CSS style sheet and the main page, that is
    https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    So, when he is saying that the page is too wide, which page are we talking
    about?
    The page
    https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html or the external style
    sheet this page makes use of ?
    Or perhaps both?
    Why does breaking the line in the style sheet prevent the page
    https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    from having scrollbars in the menu?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 10, 2006
  17. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Thirdly, I could finally look at the screen picture which he had sent
    > the link to and i saw that it displayed both the CSS style sheet and
    > the main page, that is https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    > So, when he is saying that the page is too wide, which page are we
    > talking about?

    > The page https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html or the
    > external style sheet this page makes use of ?

    Notice your page svezia.html has a horizontal scrollbar. This is caused
    by some mistake in your style sheet. Not the fact that it itself has
    long lines, but because some margin is set too wide.

    At the moment, your server is down.

    "Server not found
    Firefox can't find the server at www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com."

    > Or perhaps both?

    Well, that as well.

    > Why does breaking the line in the style sheet prevent the page
    > https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    > from having scrollbars in the menu?

    The long lines in your style sheet cause the *CSS* editing window to
    have a scrollbar, as your lines are longer than the width the pane can
    be widened to. Go ahead, install the Web Developer Toolbar (very worthy)
    in Firefox or Mozilla or SeaMonkey and see for yourself.
    http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

    While viewing your page, press Ctrl+Shift+E and see for yourself.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 10, 2006
  18. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Thirdly, I could finally look at the screen picture which he had sent
    > > the link to and i saw that it displayed both the CSS style sheet and
    > > the main page, that is https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    > > So, when he is saying that the page is too wide, which page are we
    > > talking about?

    > > The page https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html or the
    > > external style sheet this page makes use of ?

    > Notice your page svezia.html has a horizontal scrollbar.

    Yes, it does.

    This is caused
    > by some mistake in your style sheet. Not the fact that it itself has
    > long lines, but because some margin is set too wide.
    >
    > At the moment, your server is down.

    Well, actually, I could access the website myself.
    So, why do you think that the server was down?
    Did you happen to e-mail me?

    > "Server not found
    > Firefox can't find the server at www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com."

    I can enter the website.
    Which ip-number did you use?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 10, 2006
  19. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <j8KMg.15984$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > > Luigi... no one is ever sure when talking to you that everyone is
    > > talking about the same thing. I could almost be an earthling on
    > > this basis.

    > First of all, it is night here, quite the contrary in Australia, I guess...

    See what I mean? Of course you don't! I say it is always hard to
    know if the focus of any discussion with you is constant. You
    then tell me it is night time where you are, You are an
    extraordinary person Luigi. It is a constantly fascinating
    experience for a martian like me to come across such an unusual
    species of earthling like you.

    > Secondly while writing on the web I am also learning Chinese...
    > (there are some reasons for that but I want to cut a long story short)

    And again, you exhibit a quixotic and highly interesting display
    of your focussing algorithm. I have studied the code of Eliza but
    you seem to have a more sophisticated sub routine here that the
    traditional Eliza simply did not have. Interesting to the point
    of fascination.

    > Thirdly, I could finally look at the screen picture which he had sent the
    > link to and i saw that it displayed both
    > the CSS style sheet and the main page, that is
    > https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    > So, when he is saying that the page is too wide, which page are we talking
    > about?
    > The page
    > https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html or the external style
    > sheet this page makes use of ?
    > Or perhaps both?
    > Why does breaking the line in the style sheet prevent the page
    > https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    > from having scrollbars in the menu?

    I will let B answer about how to cope with returns in your CSS.
    But the pic he provided was a view of the Firefox browser with an
    web developer extension facility whereby the CSS of any web page
    is displayed and can be altered for experimentation with the
    webpage changes being seen "live" immediately the changes are
    made in the CSS. Sort of magical in the sense that it is closest
    to the idea of making a wish and having it fulfilled without
    having to do anything else like save the changes and all that
    boring old stuff.

    In addition to what B says about your method of typing and layout
    of the css, I do know one thing for sure. Or perhaps I should
    say, my instinct is very strong: You are over-reaching Luigi in
    the extraordinary complexity of your CSS.

    I am now going to give you a really good argument as to why you
    should change it utterly and completely. This argument would
    normally appeal to the English one man business that is inside of
    your soul, I have no idea if it appeals to the Italian in Sweden
    one man business part of you. The argument is this:

    Businesses have resale value. Ask yourself this question: who
    will buy your business if they see your html and css? They will
    never be able to work it all out or maintain it.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 10, 2006

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i

    meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thirdly, I could finally look at the screen picture which he had sent
    > > > the link to and i saw that it displayed both the CSS style sheet and
    > > > the main page, that is

    https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    > > > So, when he is saying that the page is too wide, which page are we
    > > > talking about?

    > > > The page https://www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html or the
    > > > external style sheet this page makes use of ?

    > > Notice your page svezia.html has a horizontal scrollbar.

    > Yes, it does.
    >
    > This is caused
    > > by some mistake in your style sheet. Not the fact that it itself has
    > > long lines, but because some margin is set too wide.
    > >
    > > At the moment, your server is down.

    > Well, actually, I could access the website myself.
    > So, why do you think that the server was down?
    > Did you happen to e-mail me?
    >

    > > "Server not found
    > > Firefox can't find the server at www-scaiecat-spa-gigi.com."

    > I can enter the website.
    > Which ip-number did you use?

    So, did you mean that I should write the long lines, like that, instead?
    #arredamento-articoli-da-regalo.subsubsection a
    { background-color: #cccccc;
    background-image:none;
    color:#000000;
    display: block;