problem with Memebership - access is denied for some windows user

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Ken, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Hi,
    My application is using login membership controls to log in users. The
    provider is a sql server and we have no problem creating users and loging in.
    However, when a user is logging into the application he gets to the first
    screen and then, upon the firstpostback he gets "access is denied... Error
    messgae 401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration..."
    The bothering part is that when another user, from the same machine, using
    the same browser, - is trying to access the same page there's no problem.
    Needless to say we have the same configuration for all users:
    <authorization>
    <deny users="?" />
    </authorization>

    and then:
    <location path="images/jts_logo.jpg">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users ="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>
    <location path="css/jts.css">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users ="*" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>

    So my questions:
    1. How come diffrent users on the same machine and browser and same windows
    permission levels get diffrent results?
    2. If a user indeed have no access to a page, how come the user is able to
    get to the first screen?
    --
    Thank you,
    Ken