    I think the problem is inside the encoding, ansi, unicode, ... Found
    some ways to avoid this error but all are not very awesome.

    Please tell me the best way to solve this.

    Michael Reichenbach, Jul 16, 2007

  2. Re: problem with microsoft C compiler doesn`t accept things gcc does, how to solve? (encoding)

    Michael Reichenbach wrote:
    > Here is the example code.

    "Example"? Of what?

    > int main(int argc, char *argv[])

    You're not using 'argc' or 'argv' in your code here, why declare them?

    > {
    > string Result;

    'string' is undefined.

    > WIN32_FIND_DATA daten;

    'WIN32_FIND_DATA' is undefined.

    > HANDLE h = FindFirstFile(TEXT("c://test"), &daten);

    'HANDLE' is undefined. 'FindFirstFile' is undefined. 'TEXT' is
    undefined.

    > system("PAUSE");
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    > }
    >
    > It works fine with DevCpp and gcc.

    I doubt that.

    > The error with microsoft C compiler is that he can`t convert from
    > string to LPCSTR.

    By "string" do you mean the standard 'string' type? Then yes, there
    is no such conversion (even if by 'LPCSTR' you mean 'char const*').

    > I think the problem is inside the encoding, ansi, unicode, ... Found
    > some ways to avoid this error but all are not very awesome.
    >
    > Please tell me the best way to solve this.

    To solve WHAT?

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 16, 2007

  3. Michael Reichenbach

    Default User Guest

    Michael Reichenbach wrote:

    > Here is the example code.
    >
    > int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    > {
    > string Result;
    > WIN32_FIND_DATA daten;
    > HANDLE h = FindFirstFile(TEXT("c://test"), &daten);
    > system("PAUSE");
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    > }
    >
    > It works fine with DevCpp and gcc.

    That's odd, with gcc I get:

    gcct.c: In function `main':
    gcct.c:3: error: `string' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gcct.c:3: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    gcct.c:3: error: for each function it appears in.)
    gcct.c:3: error: parse error before "Result"
    gcct.c:4: error: `WIN32_FIND_DATA' undeclared (first use in this
    function)
    gcct.c:5: error: `HANDLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gcct.c:7: error: `EXIT_SUCCESS' undeclared (first use in this function)

    > The error with microsoft C compiler is that he can`t convert from
    > string to LPCSTR.
    >
    > I think the problem is inside the encoding, ansi, unicode, ... Found
    > some ways to avoid this error but all are not very awesome.

    You obviously haven't posted the real code.

    Brian

    Default User, Jul 16, 2007
  4. Ok. You got me. :) It`s was not the real code. I always try to cut down
    my problem to a minimum so it`s more easy to figure out.

    Here is a new example code. I tested it. It works in DevCpp but not in
    Visual Studio.

    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <windows.h>

    int main()
    {
    WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    HANDLE hFind;
    hFind = FindFirstFile("c://test", &FindFileData);
    system("PAUSE");
    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }

    Michael Reichenbach, Jul 17, 2007
  5. Michael Reichenbach

    BobR Guest

    Michael Reichenbach <> wrote in message...
    > Here is the example code.
    >
    > int main(int argc, char *argv[]){

    // > string Result; // not defined, not used!
    > WIN32_FIND_DATA daten;
    > HANDLE h = FindFirstFile(TEXT("c://test"), &daten);
    > system("PAUSE");
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    > }
    > It works fine with DevCpp and gcc.

    Nope!

    > The error with microsoft C compiler is that he can`t convert from string
    > to LPCSTR.

    std::string Hi( "Hello" );
    LPCSTR pHi = &Hi.at(0); // pick one
    char const *pHi2 = &Hi.at(0);
    LPCSTR pHi3 = Hi.c_str();
    ..... etc.

    > I think the problem is inside the encoding, ansi, unicode, ... Found
    > some ways to avoid this error but all are not very awesome.
    > Please tell me the best way to solve this.

    #include <iostream>
    #include <fstream>

    int main(){
    std::ifstream in( "c:/test" );
    if( not in.is_open() ){
    std::cout<<"File not found!\n";
    }

    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie

    BobR, Jul 17, 2007
  6. Michael Reichenbach

    sun1991 Guest

    > > The error with microsoft C compiler is that he can`t convert from string
    > > to LPCSTR.

    > std::string Hi( "Hello" );
    > LPCSTR pHi = &Hi.at(0); // pick one
    > char const *pHi2 = &Hi.at(0);
    > LPCSTR pHi3 = Hi.c_str();

    Is it right? I thought Hi.c_str() returns a temporary c-string, it
    will be gone when pHi3 try to dereference it?

    sun1991, Jul 17, 2007
  7. On 2007-07-17 01:45, Michael Reichenbach wrote:
    > Ok. You got me. :) It`s was not the real code. I always try to cut down
    > my problem to a minimum so it`s more easy to figure out.
    >
    > Here is a new example code. I tested it. It works in DevCpp but not in
    > Visual Studio.
    >
    > #include <stdlib.h>
    > #include <windows.h>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    > HANDLE hFind;
    > hFind = FindFirstFile("c://test", &FindFileData);
    > system("PAUSE");
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    > }

    1. Quote the text you are replying to.

    2. In what way does it not work in Visual Studio (what version of VS by
    the way?), does it kick you in the face or what. Post the error messages
    or whatever you get.

    See http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8 for
    more info on what to include in your posts.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Jul 17, 2007
  8. Michael Reichenbach

    Bo Persson Guest

    sun1991 wrote:
    :::: The error with microsoft C compiler is that he can`t convert
    :::: from string to LPCSTR.
    :::
    ::: std::string Hi( "Hello" );
    ::: LPCSTR pHi = &Hi.at(0); // pick one
    ::: char const *pHi2 = &Hi.at(0);
    ::: LPCSTR pHi3 = Hi.c_str();
    :: Is it right? I thought Hi.c_str() returns a temporary c-string, it
    :: will be gone when pHi3 try to dereference it?

    It returns a pointer to a C-string (which might be a copy of Hi's
    content). The pointer is valid as long as Hi isn't potentially
    modified.

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Jul 17, 2007
  9. Re: problem with microsoft C compiler doesn`t accept things gcc does, how to solve? (encoding)

    On Jul 16, 6:45 pm, Michael Reichenbach <>
    wrote:
    > Ok. You got me. :) It`s was not the real code. I always try to cut down
    > my problem to a minimum so it`s more easy to figure out.
    >
    > Here is a new example code. I tested it. It works in DevCpp but not in
    > Visual Studio.
    >
    > #include <stdlib.h>
    > #include <windows.h>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    > HANDLE hFind;
    > hFind = FindFirstFile("c://test", &FindFileData);
    > system("PAUSE");
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;

    Do you have UNICODE (or maybe it's _UNICODE, I always forget)
    defined? There is no way that code should fail under windows unless
    FindFirstFile is expecting a wide character string, and it shouldn't
    expect a wide string unless you have _UNICODE or UNICODE defined.

    See if the following works:
    int main()
    {
    WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    HANDLE hFind;
    hFind = FindFirstFile(L"c://test", &FindFileData); //notice
    the L
    system("PAUSE");
    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }

    Venturing into off-topicness, but assuming this fixes it, one possible
    reason it works with one compiler but not the other could be that
    you're defining the preprocessor symbol through your project settings
    (Project -> Project Propert -> C++ -> Preprocessor), which obviously
    GCC doesn't know about.

    The way windows functions work is that there's always 2 versions of
    most WinApi functions. One ends with an 'A' and expects char*, the
    other ends with a 'W' and expects wchar_t*. Then, based on the value
    of various preprocessor symbols, a version of every function with
    neither A nor W is #defined to the A or W version. So if you have
    UNICODE defined, FindFirstFile actually is FindFirstFileW(wchar_t*,
    WIN_32_FIND_DATA*), and if you don't have UNICODE defined,
    FindFirstFile actually is FindFirstFileA(char*, WIN32_FIND_DATA*).
    The same is true for many other functions as well.

    Zachary Turner, Jul 17, 2007
  10. Michael Reichenbach

    Michael Reichenbach wrote:

    > Ok. You got me. :) It`s was not the real code. I always try to cut
    > down my problem to a minimum so it`s more easy to figure out.

    That's a good idea, but what you post has to be a complete program.
    > Here is a new example code. I tested it. It works in DevCpp but not
    > in Visual Studio.
    >
    > #include <stdlib.h>
    > #include <windows.h>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    > HANDLE hFind;
    > hFind = FindFirstFile("c://test", &FindFileData);
    > system("PAUSE");
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    > }

    This compiled on gcc?

    gcct.c:2:21: windows.h: No such file or directory
    gcct.c:7: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    gcct.c:8: error: `FindFileData' undeclared here (not in a function)
    gcct.c:8: error: initializer element is not constant
    gcct.c:8: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    gcct.c:9: error: parse error before string constant
    gcct.c:9: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

    Brian

    Default User, Jul 17, 2007
  11. Michael Reichenbach

    sun1991 Guest

    On Jul 17, 8:08 pm, "Bo Persson" <> wrote:
    > sun1991 wrote:
    >
    > :::: The error with microsoft C compiler is that he can`t convert
    > :::: from string to LPCSTR.
    > :::
    > ::: std::string Hi( "Hello" );
    > ::: LPCSTR pHi = &Hi.at(0); // pick one
    > ::: char const *pHi2 = &Hi.at(0);
    > ::: LPCSTR pHi3 = Hi.c_str();
    > :: Is it right? I thought Hi.c_str() returns a temporary c-string, it
    > :: will be gone when pHi3 try to dereference it?
    >
    > It returns a pointer to a C-string (which might be a copy of Hi's
    > content). The pointer is valid as long as Hi isn't potentially
    > modified.
    >
    > Bo Persson

    Well, I did a little experiment:

    int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    std::string s("I'm a test string");
    const char* ptr = s.c_str();
    s = "Another test string";

    printf("%s\n", ptr);

    }
    system("pause");
    return 0;
    }

    And the result is: Another test string
    ---
    So what I said above was wrong, looks like it actually returns a RAW
    const char* ptr, point to the internal buffer of string. I don't think
    c_str() will create a copy, if so, who should handle the delete action
    on this copy?

    Thanks!

    sun1991, Jul 18, 2007
  12. Michael Reichenbach

    Jim Langston Guest

    > Ok. You got me. :) It`s was not the real code. I always try to cut down my
    > problem to a minimum so it`s more easy to figure out.
    >
    > Here is a new example code. I tested it. It works in DevCpp but not in
    > Visual Studio.
    >
    > #include <stdlib.h>
    > #include <windows.h>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    > HANDLE hFind;
    > hFind = FindFirstFile("c://test", &FindFileData);
    > system("PAUSE");
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    > }

    This doesn't compile in MS VC++ .net 2003 without proper compile switches:

    #include <windows.h>

    int main()

    Try a vc newsgroup.

    Jim Langston, Jul 18, 2007
  13. Michael Reichenbach

    Bo Persson Guest

    sun1991 wrote:
    :: On Jul 17, 8:08 pm, "Bo Persson" <> wrote:
    ::: sun1991 wrote:
    :::
    ::::::: The error with microsoft C compiler is that he can`t convert
    ::::::: from string to LPCSTR.
    ::::::
    :::::: std::string Hi( "Hello" );
    :::::: LPCSTR pHi = &Hi.at(0); // pick one
    :::::: char const *pHi2 = &Hi.at(0);
    :::::: LPCSTR pHi3 = Hi.c_str();
    ::::: Is it right? I thought Hi.c_str() returns a temporary c-string,
    ::::: it will be gone when pHi3 try to dereference it?
    :::
    ::: It returns a pointer to a C-string (which might be a copy of Hi's
    ::: content). The pointer is valid as long as Hi isn't potentially
    ::: modified.
    :::
    ::: Bo Persson
    ::
    :: Well, I did a little experiment:
    ::
    :: int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    :: {
    :: {
    :: std::string s("I'm a test string");
    :: const char* ptr = s.c_str();
    :: s = "Another test string";
    ::
    :: printf("%s\n", ptr);
    ::
    :: }
    :: system("pause");
    :: return 0;
    :: }
    ::
    :: And the result is: Another test string
    :: ---
    :: So what I said above was wrong, looks like it actually returns a
    :: RAW const char* ptr, point to the internal buffer of string. I
    :: don't think c_str() will create a copy, if so, who should handle
    :: the delete action on this copy?

    The standard allows c_str to return a pointer to the string's internal
    buffer, or to some other buffer. That is up to the implementation.
    There is no explicit requirement to have an internal buffer, in the
    first place. .-)

    After you modify s, the ptr is no longer valid, so using it in printf
    is undefined. Anything could happen!

    If c_str would return a pointer to some other buffer, the string class
    would be required to somehow manage that. In practice, this doesn't
    happen as all known implementations have an internal buffer, and
    returns a pointer to it. In the next edition of the standard, C++09,
    this will most likely be required.

    Also, if you assign a much longer string to s, it might have to
    reallocate the buffer and you ptr will definitely point into nowhere.

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Jul 18, 2007
  14. Michael Reichenbach

    joe Guest

    Re: problem with microsoft C compiler doesn`t accept things gcc does, how to solve? (encoding)

    On Jul 16, 7:45 pm, Michael Reichenbach <>
    wrote:
    > Ok. You got me. :) It`s was not the real code. I always try to cut down
    > my problem to a minimum so it`s more easy to figure out.
    >
    > Here is a new example code. I tested it. It works in DevCpp but not in
    > Visual Studio.
    >
    > #include <stdlib.h>
    > #include <windows.h>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    > HANDLE hFind;
    > hFind = FindFirstFile("c://test", &FindFileData);
    > system("PAUSE");
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;

    You do realize that "C://test" is an illegal path, don't you? Did you
    perhaps mean "C:\\test" ? Or possibly "C:/test" ?

    I can believe that gnu has some broken path translation layer blindly
    converting '/'s to '\'s so that may explain why it works under gnu and
    not VC.

    joe

    joe, Jul 18, 2007
  15. Re: problem with microsoft C compiler doesn`t accept things gcc does, how to solve? (encoding)

    On Jul 17, 10:57 am, "Default User" <> wrote:
    > Michael Reichenbach wrote:
    > > Ok. You got me. :) It`s was not the real code. I always try to cut
    > > down my problem to a minimum so it`s more easy to figure out.

    > That's a good idea, but what you post has to be a complete program.
    >
    > > Here is a new example code. I tested it. It works in DevCpp but not
    > > in Visual Studio.

    > > #include <stdlib.h>
    > > #include <windows.h>

    > > int main()
    > > {
    > > WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    > > HANDLE hFind;
    > > hFind = FindFirstFile("c://test", &FindFileData);
    > > system("PAUSE");
    > > return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    > > }

    > This compiled on gcc?
    >
    > gcct.c:2:21: windows.h: No such file or directory
    > gcct.c:7: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    > gcct.c:8: error: `FindFileData' undeclared here (not in a function)
    > gcct.c:8: error: initializer element is not constant
    > gcct.c:8: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    > gcct.c:9: error: parse error before string constant
    > gcct.c:9: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    >
    > Brian

    Sorry, but now you're just being stupid. There's two possibilities
    here.

    1) You are on an operating system other than Windows, in which case
    you have got to be a complete idiot to think that #include <windows.h>
    will work
    2) You are on windows, in which case you have got to be a complete
    idiot to not know how to compile programs for windows.

    Please point me to the location in the FAQ that says that every code
    fragment people post must be a complete working program, and compile
    on every theoretical combination of platform and compiler.

    If you're not smart enough to figure out that a) the program applies
    to Windows only, and b) how to use the -I option of GCC, then perhaps
    you aren't qualified to answer questions about C++ in the first place.

    Zachary Turner, Jul 18, 2007
  16. Re: problem with microsoft C compiler doesn`t accept things gcc does, how to solve? (encoding)

    Zachary Turner wrote:
    > On Jul 17, 10:57 am, "Default User" <> wrote:
    >> Michael Reichenbach wrote:
    >>> Ok. You got me. :) It`s was not the real code. I always try to cut
    >>> down my problem to a minimum so it`s more easy to figure out.

    >> That's a good idea, but what you post has to be a complete program.
    >>
    >>> Here is a new example code. I tested it. It works in DevCpp but not
    >>> in Visual Studio.

    >>> #include <stdlib.h>
    >>> #include <windows.h>

    >>> int main()
    >>> {
    >>> WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    >>> HANDLE hFind;
    >>> hFind = FindFirstFile("c://test", &FindFileData);
    >>> system("PAUSE");
    >>> return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    >>> }

    >> This compiled on gcc?
    >>
    >> gcct.c:2:21: windows.h: No such file or directory
    >> gcct.c:7: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    >> gcct.c:8: error: `FindFileData' undeclared here (not in a function)
    >> gcct.c:8: error: initializer element is not constant
    >> gcct.c:8: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    >> gcct.c:9: error: parse error before string constant
    >> gcct.c:9: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    >>
    >> Brian

    > Sorry, but now you're just being stupid. There's two possibilities
    > here.
    >
    > 1) You are on [..]

    It does not matter what the possibilities are. The program is OS-
    specific and the alleged behaviour is compiler-specific, so there is
    no way to answer it from the language point of view. The FAQ does
    contain a list of suggested newsgroups to post to to have platform-
    and/or compiler-specific questions answered.

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 18, 2007
  17. Michael Reichenbach

    joe Guest

    wrote:
    > Ok. You got me. :) It`s was not the real code. I always try to cut down
    > my problem to a minimum so it`s more easy to figure out.
    >
    > Here is a new example code. I tested it. It works in DevCpp but not in
    > Visual Studio.
    >
    > #include <stdlib.h>
    > #include <windows.h>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
    > HANDLE hFind;
    > hFind = FindFirstFile("c://test", &FindFileData);
    > system("PAUSE");
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;

    I am probably stating the obvious, but "c://test" isn't a valid path.
    Now, "c:\\test" or "c:/test" is, but I don't know of anywhere that two
    forward slashes are valid.

    I never did see where you defined what doesn't work meant though.

    joe

    joe, Jul 19, 2007
  18. Re: problem with microsoft C compiler doesn`t accept things gcc does, how to solve? (encoding)

    On Jul 18, 2:17 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > Zachary Turner wrote:

    > >> That's a good idea, but what you post has to be a complete program.

    > >> This compiled on gcc?

    > >> gcct.c:2:21: windows.h: No such file or directory
    > >> gcct.c:7: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    > >> gcct.c:8: error: `FindFileData' undeclared here (not in a function)
    > >> gcct.c:8: error: initializer element is not constant
    > >> gcct.c:8: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    > >> gcct.c:9: error: parse error before string constant
    > >> gcct.c:9: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

    > >> Brian

    > > Sorry, but now you're just being stupid. There's two possibilities
    > > here.

    > > 1) You are on [..]

    > It does not matter what the possibilities are. The program is OS-
    > specific and the alleged behaviour is compiler-specific, so there is
    > no way to answer it from the language point of view. The FAQ does
    > contain a list of suggested newsgroups to post to to have platform-
    > and/or compiler-specific questions answered.

    I agree, but please understand that the fact that people are posting
    to a newsgroup in the first place can -sometimes- (not always, but
    sometimes) be an indicator that the person posting the question is not
    exactly an expert on the topic they're posting about. In such cases,
    it is very easy for someone to misunderstand the problem and think the
    issue lies with something else. Rather than degrade such people and
    intentionally toy with them, either cut to the chase and tell them to
    post in a different group, or just answer the question.

    In this case, it appears to have been a legitimate mistake. Something
    compiled with gcc but not visual c. To someone who has very little
    experience with windows programming, this can just as easily have been
    a) a bug in visual c, b) a bug in gcc (it wasn't supposed to compile
    but gcc accepted it anyway), or c) a platform specific problem. In
    fact, for someone who is beginner to mid level, c may not even be an
    apparent choice at first.

    Zachary Turner, Jul 19, 2007