problem with multithreading and Web services method invocation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by abhra.haldar@gmail.com, May 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi:

    I have an ASP.NET page which makes a synchronous Web services method
    call. At the same time, however, I wanted it to load another page as an
    iFrame (i've also tried as a javascript popup window) - this second
    page is responsible for polling a DB and continually updating its text
    box display.

    The problem is that once the Web service call is initiated, the second
    page becomes unresponsive exactly until the call is completed, when it
    resumes. I'm baffled as to why this second page's request should have
    anything to do with the first one's Web service request. I've tried to
    encapsulate the time-consuming DB queries of the second page into a
    separate thread and this works great (I tested it by printing a
    timestamp to a file), but I also need a way of updating the display in
    real-time while the Web services call is going through. Are there any
    ideas as to how I can accomplish this?

    - adh

    , May 11, 2006

  2. your second window is blocked because asp.net serializes request by session.
    one one request per session runs at a time. you shoud change you logic.

    client -- request long running process -->

    server starts process on background thread
    <-- server returns a page display status, with a meta refresh

    client displays status page
    sends refresh request -->

    server check if procees is done
    if not done
    <-- send poll page
    else
    <-- send results

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\), May 11, 2006