problem with mysql 5.0 and java connector

Discussion in 'Java' started by wildsurfer, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. wildsurfer

    wildsurfer Guest

    I've a strange message when I try to connect to my db using java
    connector ( mysql-connector-java-3.1.4-beta ):

    javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot connect to MySQL server on
    localhost:3306. Is there a MySQL server running on the machine/port
    you are trying to connect to? (java.lang.NumberFormatException)

    I'm using tomcat 5.0.
    Note that i don't have any problem to connect to the sql server using
    for example mysql front or querying the server directly.
    before I was using mysql 4.0.13 and everything just worked fine!
    I wanted to upgrade my mysql server to the newer version, but I don't
    know how to fix this problem.
    I suppose that I had to unistall the old version and install mysql
    5.0, but it doesn't work any more!do i have to change something else?
    why the jdbc connector doesn't work any more?

    this is what I use to connect to my db (I'm using dreamweawer and this
    is the connection file)

    <%
    // FileName="Connection_jdbc_conn.htm"
    // Type="JDBC" ""
    // DesigntimeType="JDBC"
    // HTTP="true"
    // Catalog=""
    // Schema=""
    String MM_top11_DRIVER = "org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver";
    String MM_top11_USERNAME = "root";
    String MM_top11_PASSWORD = "";
    String MM_top11_STRING = "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mydb";
    %>

    Thank you very much
    Andrea
    wildsurfer, Sep 25, 2004