Problem with mysql gem installation

Jahnia Sanarothe

Hi. So, I reached the point in my learning Ruby where I'd like to start
doing work with actual web applications. My server, setup in Debian
Lenny (Unstable), doesn't seem to like the MySQL gem: Upon researching
it, I found plenty of problems very similar to mine. However, none of
the solutions that I found (Changing the path for config/dir, getting
development library for mysql and perhaps something else that I can't
even remember now.) actually accomplished anything... I mean, the size
of all the shit going down when I try to install has definetely gotten
better.
But I still can't do it.
HOWEVER. I installed libmysql-ruby from Synaptic/apt. As much as I hate
leaving a problem in a workaround state, does this work? What do I
require = ' ' to be able to call upon that lib?
I'm a relative newbie to both Ruby and Linux. (And I will consider
myself a linux newbie until every time I try to do something I can do it
without 60,000 errors, misconfigurations and missing dependencies.)
Thanks a lot. :)

Cameron Carroll

((
Error:
[gem install mysql; gem install mysql --
--with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config]
ERROR: Error installing mysql:
/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb install mysql --
--with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config
checking for mysql_ssl_set()... yes
checking for mysql.h... yes
creating Makefile

make
sh: make: command not found

Gem files will remain... snipsnipsnip... results posted gem_make.out
))