Problem with Net::AIM or Net::AOLIM through a firewall

Miles Fender

Hi,

I have a perl program that sends off emails when databases go down, and I've
been charged with enhancing it so that it sends AOL Instant Messages too.

I've got hold of Net::AIM and Net::AOLIM from cpan, both of which work
fine from home, they but don't have proxy support. I need my program to run
from the office, where we have a corporate firewall in place, so I need to
use an HTTP proxy to connect to AOL.

I'm not a network programmer, so my knowledge of sockets is next to nothing.
Has anyone ever tried modifying Net::AIM or Net:AOLIM to support this? I
tried taking a look at the proxy implementation in LWP to see if I could pull some
code from there, but I can't really understand what it's doing.

Apologies if this isn't clear - I'm still a beginner at this.

Thanks,

Miles

Miles Fender

Nevermind - I managed to figure it out. I replaced the call to open the AIM socket
in Net::AOLIM with a call to Net::HTTPTunnel... works a treat!