problem with one file

Discussion in 'HTML' started by thedarkman, Oct 27, 2011.

  1. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    hi,

    I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
    bit of practical help.

    Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
    this

    http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html

    it views perfectly well in IE but not in Firefox or Chrome.

    In Chrome, everything is okay until THE PSYCHO FROM WOKINGHAM.

    Problems start at a different place in Firefox. I don't want to have
    to rekey the whole bloody lot, not to use css, but if someone can
    supply me with a few bits of code so this problem can be fixed I'd be
    most grateful.

    Ta

    thedarkman, Oct 27, 2011

  2. On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:22:28 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

    > I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
    > bit of practical help.

    First of all, fix the 2000+ html validation errors that adorn your
    website.

    You've been given this advice in the past. You seem unable to follow it.
    Until you do follow it, it's a waste of time asking us to solve your
    problems.

    It is quite possible that the error is the cumulative effect of the large
    number of unmatched opening tags that cause or are a result of various
    markup errors.

    When you have a page that validates, if it still fails to display
    correctly, I and possibly others may be willing to work out what the bug
    is in the application(s) that display it incorrectly, however no-one is
    going to spend the time needed to do so when first of all they have to
    correct all the mark-up errors to eliminate those both individually and
    cumulatively as the cause of your problem.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Oct 27, 2011

  3. thedarkman

    123Jim Guest

    123Jim, Oct 27, 2011
  4. thedarkman wrote:

    > I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
    > bit of practical help.
    >
    > Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
    > this
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html

    You would be a long way towards making the page more readable if you
    would drop the <center>. Limericks are normally displayed thusly:

    A computer, to print out a fact,
    Will divide, multiply, and subtract.
    ...But this output can be
    ...No more than debris,
    If the input was short of exact.

    where the dots indicate spacing. Add about 15% padding to the left to
    keep the content away from the browser viewport border.

    The colors are less of a problem than the ability to read easily.

    Try this:

    <h2>A Nameless Computer Limerick</h2>
    <pre class='limerick'>
    A computer, to print out a fact,
    Will divide, multiply, and subtract.
    But this output can be
    No more than debris,
    If the input was short of exact.
    </pre>

    Use CSS something like this:

    body { font-size: 100%; margin-left: 15%; }
    h2 { font-size: 140%; background: transparent; color: red; }
    ..limerick { font-family: Georgia, serif; }

    If you only use <pre> for limericks, you can just style the pre element
    itself, and not bother with the .limerick class.

    Oh, and bold content text is also hard to read. I notice just about all
    of your pages are very large bold text. I need to ask: do you have a
    vision problem? Most of your visitors will not, so use standard size text
    and adjust your own browsers for larger, if you need it. Don't make me
    suffer, though.

    Is that a lecture? :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 27, 2011
  5. thedarkman

    MG Guest

    "thedarkman" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
    > bit of practical help.
    >
    > Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
    > this
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html
    >
    > it views perfectly well in IE but not in Firefox or Chrome.
    >
    > In Chrome, everything is okay until THE PSYCHO FROM WOKINGHAM.
    >
    > Problems start at a different place in Firefox. I don't want to have
    > to rekey the whole bloody lot, not to use css, but if someone can
    > supply me with a few bits of code so this problem can be fixed I'd be
    > most grateful.
    >
    > Ta

    I seem to remember that someone went to the trouble of reworking your code
    that eliminated nearly all of the 2000 errors. It seems you disregarded all
    that hard work.

    --
    MG

    MG, Oct 27, 2011
  6. thedarkman

    JJ Guest

    On 27/10/2011 00:22, thedarkman wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
    > bit of practical help.
    >
    > Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
    > this
    >
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html
    >
    > it views perfectly well in IE but not in Firefox or Chrome.
    >
    > In Chrome, everything is okay until THE PSYCHO FROM WOKINGHAM.
    >
    > Problems start at a different place in Firefox. I don't want to have
    > to rekey the whole bloody lot, not to use css, but if someone can
    > supply me with a few bits of code so this problem can be fixed I'd be
    > most grateful.

    You don't have to be a "code warrior" to get this working in all
    browsers, and you don't have to "rekey the whole bloody lot" either
    (that's what copy and paste is for). If you mark up each limerick as
    follows:

    <h3>A Nameless Computer Limerick</h3>
    <pre>
    A computer, to print out a fact,
    Will divide, multiply, and subtract.
    But this output can be
    No more than debris,
    If the input was short of exact.
    </pre>

    Then add some simple CSS after the </title> and before the </head>:

    body { font: 100% "Times New Roman", Times, serif; text-align: center; }
    h3 { color: #F00; font-style: italic; font-size: 200%; }
    pre { font: 100% "Times New Roman", Times, serif; }

    It would be sorted.

    Also, what's with the massive wall of text at the end? Maybe you want a
    wall of text but do you really want it red and spanning the entire width
    of the page? You're making it an ordeal for most people to read,
    regardless of how good the content might be (I wouldn't know, not having
    read it).

    JJ, Oct 27, 2011
  7. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <j8b62k$if5$>, JJ <>
    wrote:

    > You don't have to be a "code warrior" to get this working in all
    > browsers, and you don't have to "rekey the whole bloody lot" either
    > (that's what copy and paste is for). If you mark up each limerick as
    > follows:
    >
    > <h3>A Nameless Computer Limerick</h3>
    > <pre>
    > A computer, to print out a fact,
    > Will divide, multiply, and subtract.
    > But this output can be
    > No more than debris,
    > If the input was short of exact.
    > </pre>
    >
    > Then add some simple CSS after the </title> and before the </head>:

    Another idea, given the short nature of the lines, getting the
    limerick centred that seems to be wanted by the OP, but avoiding
    the ugly line by line centring of the actual text, is:

    A computer, to print out a fact,<br>
    Will divide, multiply, and subtract.<br>
    But this output can be<br>
    No more than debris,<br>
    If the input was short of exact.<br>

    div {display: table; margin: auto;}

    Or use a P if you think a limerick is a sort of tuneful paragraph.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 27, 2011
  8. thedarkman

    picayunish Guest

    On 27-10-2011 9:54, MG wrote:
    > "thedarkman"<> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> I know I've asked this before and I don't want lectures, just a little
    >> bit of practical help.
    >>
    >> Of all the files on my websites I only really have trouble with one,
    >> this
    >>
    >> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/limericks.html
    >>
    >> it views perfectly well in IE but not in Firefox or Chrome.
    >>
    >> In Chrome, everything is okay until THE PSYCHO FROM WOKINGHAM.
    >>
    >> Problems start at a different place in Firefox. I don't want to have
    >> to rekey the whole bloody lot, not to use css, but if someone can
    >> supply me with a few bits of code so this problem can be fixed I'd be
    >> most grateful.
    >>
    >> Ta

    > I seem to remember that someone went to the trouble of reworking your code
    > that eliminated nearly all of the 2000 errors. It seems you disregarded all
    > that hard work.

    You mean like this.
    [http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/]
    --