problem with one file

Discussion in 'HTML' started by thedarkman, Oct 27, 2011.

  1. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
    interested in css.

    I've made one tiny alteration, to the link in the Ian Huntley
    limerick.

    The bottom line, I'm quite happy with both bold text and centred
    limericks. This is my house style.

    To the guy who alluded to a block of red at the end, if kind sir you
    view this with IE you will see it is not a block of red.

    The problem I have is that the Aberystwyth limerick appears to be the
    beginning of the trouble. The first line of that should read as two
    lines. Then the next limerick, about Andorra, the title is in black
    non-italic.

    I want to get that in red italic.

    After that, it has gone ballistic.

    The html error finder someone sent me finds all sorts of errors
    including <a name="thislim">

    I don't see anything wrong with that.

    My apologies for believing erroneously you brave code warriors could
    help me sort out this simple problem.

    thedarkman, Oct 27, 2011

  2. thedarkman

    Doug Miller Guest

    On 10/27/2011 7:00 AM, thedarkman wrote:
    > Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
    > interested in css.

    Then in your stubbornness and ignorance, you have excluded the best
    solution to most of your problems.

    > The problem I have is that the Aberystwyth limerick appears to be the
    > beginning of the trouble. The first line of that should read as two
    > lines. Then the next limerick, about Andorra, the title is in black
    > non-italic.

    No, the problem you have is very poorly written HTML, compounded by your
    refusal to use best practices (i.e. CSS). Fix the 2100+ errors on the
    page first, most of which result from the missing document type
    definition. Then you will find people more willing to help.

    > I want to get that in red italic.

    Here's a thought: try closing your <FONT> tags.

    > My apologies for believing erroneously you brave code warriors could
    > help me sort out this simple problem.

    You seem to have trouble distinguishing between "people can't help you"
    and "people WON'T help you."

    Nobody wants to give you any assistance until you implement the good
    advice you've already been offered.

    Doug Miller, Oct 27, 2011

  3. thedarkman

    Mayeul Guest

    On 27/10/2011 13:00, thedarkman wrote:
    > Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
    > interested in css.
    >
    > I've made one tiny alteration, to the link in the Ian Huntley
    > limerick.
    >
    > The bottom line, I'm quite happy with both bold text and centred
    > limericks. This is my house style.
    >
    > To the guy who alluded to a block of red at the end, if kind sir you
    > view this with IE you will see it is not a block of red.
    >
    > The problem I have is that the Aberystwyth limerick appears to be the
    > beginning of the trouble. The first line of that should read as two
    > lines. Then the next limerick, about Andorra, the title is in black
    > non-italic.
    >
    > I want to get that in red italic.
    >
    > After that, it has gone ballistic.

    You could try actually closing some mandatory-closing tags for a change,
    like those <font> tags. I'm not sure a browser will actually imagine
    someone would stack them endlessly like that.

    Maybe it's unrelated. You've already been told how to analyze an HTML
    problem. And you will hear none of it.

    > The html error finder someone sent me finds all sorts of errors
    > including<a name="thislim">
    >
    > I don't see anything wrong with that.
    >
    > My apologies for believing erroneously you brave code warriors could
    > help me sort out this simple problem.

    They're not the ones insisting you stay with this "house style" of yours
    that cause so many problems.
    I guess you're not interested in solving them pragmatically after all.
    Best of luck obtaining whatever you want by any other way.

    --
    Mayeul

    Mayeul, Oct 27, 2011
  4. thedarkman

    MG Guest

    "thedarkman" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
    > interested in css.

    Did you look at the link posted by picayunish (Edwin van der Vaart)?

    Zero errors! All 2000 have been eliminated.

    Take that code and use it. And say a big thank you for the effort he has put
    in to help you.

    --
    MG

    MG, Oct 27, 2011
  5. On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 04:00:18 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

    > Thanks a lot guys, I had anticipated this response, as I said, I'm not
    > interested in css.

    That's a shame, because a very small investment in RESEARCHING css mr
    RESEARCHER NOT CODE WARRIOR would reduce the page size and clean up a lot
    of your problems.

    However, it seems that your RESEARCHER ability is woefully broken when it
    comes to HTML, let alone CSS.

    However, here are some basic hints:

    If you use <a name="something"> you need to put </a> after it. Somewhere
    before the next <a ......>

    If you use <font color="something"> you need to put </font> after it.
    Somewhere before the next <font ......>

    If you use <b> you must, somewhere further on, use </b>, before the next
    <b>

    If you use <i> you must, somewhere further on, use </i>, before the next
    <i>

    These are fundamental markup errors that you repeat throughout the
    document, and it bis the accumulation of your markup errors that
    eventually breaks the browser.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Oct 27, 2011