Problem with Open Save dialog and excel

Michael Groeger

Hi,

I have an aspx page which generates an excel document and transfers it to
the browser as attachment. Normally, once the document is transferred the
open save dialog prompts to open or save the excel document. When I click
save I can save the excel document or when I click open it directly opens in
excel. This works fine for all but one machine.

On one machine however the dialog prompts to open or save the excel document
(e.g. myexcel.xls) but when I click save, the filename textbox contains the
name of the page (mypage.aspx) instead of the excel document. When I save
now the document, not the excel document but really the page's html is saved
on disk.

All machines are set up with

Windows 2000 SP2
Excel 9.0.3821 SR-1 (Excel 2000)
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106CO

Can somebody help?

Kind regards,
Michael

Alper OZGUR

I had the same problem and changed the code as belows. This had solved my
problem...

I hope it helps...

Response.Clear()

Response.Charset = ""

Dim stringWrite As New System.IO.StringWriter

Dim htmlWrite As New System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter(stringWrite)

Dim dg As New DataGrid

dg.DataSource = dsExp.Tables(0) ' dsExp is the dataset

dg.DataBind()

dg.GridLines = GridLines.Both

dg.HeaderStyle.Font.Bold = True

dg.DataBind()

Dim Img As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.Image

Img.ImageUrl = "images/reportlogo.jpg"

Img.RenderControl(htmlWrite)

dg.RenderControl(htmlWrite)

Response.Write("<html><head><META HTTP-EQUIV=""Content-Type""
CONTENT=""text/html; charset=utf-8""></head><body>" & stringWrite.ToString &
"</html></body>")

Response.End()

Michael Groeger

Hi Steve,

the excel generation and the transfer to the client is done by a third party
tool (Aspose.Excel). I think the content - type is set to ms-excel, but i am
not quite sure. As the problem happens only on one machine I think it has
something to do with machine settings rather than with coding.

Regards,
Michael