Problem with OpenGL.GLUT

Steven Gutstein

I've just managed to get PyOpenGL installed on a Windows NT machine.
I've tried testing it using one of the programs supplied with the
PyOpenGL download - molehill.py. On my machine, it was placed in the
python23\Lib\site-packages\OpenGL\Demo\GLUT\examples directory.

When I'm in Windows Explorer and double click on the icon for this
program, it runs fine.

However, when I try to 'execfile' molehill from the Python command
line, I have the following problem:

First I get a message window from Windows stating "The procedure entry
point __glutCreateMenuWithExit could not be located in dynamic link
library glut32.dll". The title of this window is "python.exe - Entry
Point Not Found"

After I click "OK" to make this message window disappear, I get the
following traceback:
Traceback of
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "molehill.py", line 19, in ?
fron OpenGL.GLUT import *
ImportError: DLL Load failed: The specified procedure could not be
found.

Is there any reason why this program should run when I double click it
from within Windows file manager, but not when I type
execfile('molehill.py') from Python(command line) ?

Thanks,

Steven Gutstein

Cousin Stanley

Steven ....

I'm also having import problems
with a Win98 installation of PyOpenGL for Python 2.3
from ....

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pyopengl
/PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe?download

Any of the test programs in the Demo folder
that attempt from OpenGL.GLUT fail
as does a direct import attempt
from the Python interpreter ....

python
Enthought Edition build 1028
Python 2.3 (#46, Aug 11 2003, 09:34:05) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: DLL load failed: One of the library files needed to run this applic
ation cannot be found.

Using < dependency walker > to examine ....

/site-packages/OpenGL/GLUT.pyd

shows .... glut32.dll * Not Found *

I've done a few searches on Google,
but as yet haven't turned up what
seems to be a compatible version
of this particular missing DLL file ....

Hopefully, someone here might know
how to resolve this ....

Mike C. Fletcher

Cousin said:
Steven ....

I'm also having import problems
with a Win98 installation of PyOpenGL for Python 2.3
from ....

Using < dependency walker > to examine ....

/site-packages/OpenGL/GLUT.pyd

shows .... glut32.dll * Not Found *
PyOpenGL doesn't include the actual GLUT library, just a wrapper around
it (most systems already have GLUT installed these days). You can find
a link for GLUT for win32 here:

http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/documentation/installation.html

(look for "Win32 binary package" under GLUT 3.7+).
I've done a few searches on Google,
but as yet haven't turned up what
seems to be a compatible version
of this particular missing DLL file ....

Hopefully, someone here might know
how to resolve this ....
HTH,
Mike

_______________________________________
Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/

Sean Richards

Cousin Stanley said:
[...]

I use the glut DLLs from here[1] with PyOpenGL on NT and I am pretty sure
that the GLUT examples worked OK. I haven't got access to that machine
at the moment so I can't check. But if you haven't already tried the
DLLs from[1] perhaps they might work for you.

[1] http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html

Sean

Cousin Stanley

| PyOpenGL doesn't include the actual GLUT library,
| just a wrapper around it
| You can find a link for GLUT for win32 here:
|
| http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/documentation/installation.html

Mike ....

Thanks for the info ....

Sticking a copy of glut32.dll from the link you provided above
in /site-packages/OpenGL fixed the import problem
and the PyOpenGL demos now seem to fly as expected,
with a few exceptions that have some errors
that are of a different nature ....

I also have a working version of PyOpenGL under Python 2.2
that has the glut32.dll in /site-packages/OpenGL
and assumed that the installer that I used many months ago
had stuck it there since I couldn't find any other GLUT related
files in my archived downloads ....

However, I probably somehow deleted it post-install ....